Sign in to follow this  
Pottsy

STEADY EDDY AND KEITH BRIGGS

With the signing of Helveg do u think steady Eddy who I thought had an awesome seaon last year will be a bit part player? OR will Worthy play Helveg right mid?
I believe that against teams who have got awesome left wingers ie Giggs, Duff/Robben, Kewell and Pires Worthy might well play both and double up. Just a thought.

Surely if Helvegs seen purely as a right back and we work on Worthys 2 for every position this is the end for Briggsy?

I think from the start Briggsy has always been seen as a prospect as he is only around 21 and whenever I have seen him play he has been good.

Can he play centre back??

he played 2 seasons at stockport in centre midfield recieved play of the year there for it, if thats an achivement!!! very versitile

He''s 23/24 sort of age. I said in the ''right back'' thread I think he''s only a bit part player. I''ve not got anything against him, I thought he would be a Drury but down the right. It''s just not happened, and I don''t think it will.

Well with Briggs being fairly young, and Helveg and Edworthy pushing on, in a few years Keith could very well be our 1st choice right back...He''s got good potential, and learning from Helveg and Edworthy every day in training can''t be bad.

Its sad to think that players like Eddy, who have been so reliable, will become bit part players, but thats the way it looks. But thats progress and competition for each position should bring the best out of all of them.

I don''t think Eddy will be a bit-part player - I fully expect Helveg to start on the right hand side of midfield with Eddy behind him. I don''t expect Bentley to start every game, and not at the start of the season for definite - he''ll be introduced gradually from the bench. Notwithstanding any new signings, my starting 11 would be:

Green

Edworthy
Fleming
Charlton
Drury

Helveg
Holt
Francis
Brennan

Huckerby
Svensson

Subs: Gallacher, Mackay, Safri, McKenzie, Bentley

This line up gives us the opportunity to get Drury & Edworthy forward on the overlap, as both Helveg & Brennan are equally comfortable at full back.

I''m pretty sure Bentley will play most games, Arsenal wouldn''t have loaned him out to be a bench-warmer.

Our line up as it stands:

Green

Helveg
Drury
Fleming
Charlton

Bentley
Brennan
Holt
Francis

Huckerby
Svensson

Yes Templeton I think this might be how Worthy will play it, think he might try and get Safri in somewhere but not sure where. Glad to see thers someone on here who doesn''t think we should play Huckerby and Bentley wide midfield, that would be suicide.

I can see Eddie keeping his place. He was magnificent last year and I''m sure he could make the step up. I''d like to see Helveg in right Mid. With the Huck on the left it''ll give a nice balance

Huckerby at left midfield? What are you on!? He''s not a left winger, never has been, never will be. He may drift out to the left just as Henry does, but that does not mean left midfield should be his permanent position. It simply wouldn''t work in the Premiership, Drury would be heavily exposed.

To suggest certain players should start in the Premiership because they played well last year is not the way to go about staying up. Helveg is a better right back than Edworthy, and therefore should start at right back. If Worthington wants to put Helveg at right midfield to tighten it up, then Edworthy, quite rightly, should play right back. No point playing players out of sentiment if we have better options available.

Campbell,

Did you watch Norwich last year? Huckerby played quite a few games drifting out to the left and was pretty bloody effective too.

As for your comment about how players played last year and them getting picked this year, I think it''s pretty ridiculous. If a player can play solidly, consistantly and regularly in the first division why can''t he do it in the Premiership? Team spirit is going to massively important in our fight to beat the drop next year. For Worthington to turn round to Edworthy, or anyother play and say "Well cheers for last year mate but I don''t need you anymore" would be awful. I''m confident Edworthy will play next year and do a damn good job

Poor Eddy. Gets promoted with Wolves, then David Jones gets Oleg Luzhny.
gets promoted with NCFC, NW gets Helveg.
Eddy will be hoping that Helveg is as bad as Luzhny!

I agree. Hucks is not a midfielder. There''s no way we''ll play 4-3-3 this year. Remember we''re not facing Burnley and Rotherham anymore. Its Huckerby + Leon or Matt up front and Brennan Left Midfield.

Well said Campbell, theres no way Hucks can play left mid in the prem. We would get murdered defensively.

I think the only way you could get away with playing Huckerby left wing, is if you played Helver right, and told Francis and Holt (surely our two best central midfielders, cant see safri or mullers getting in, apart from injuries) to cover the left. Even then playing hucks left wing against Arsenal, Chelsea, Man Utd and the like would be suicide.

Although one of our best players I dont like Huckerby up-front, I dislike him having to turn a defender, he is FAR more potent when running at them from the wing. If we could teach him to track back properly (Never gonna happen) it''d be so much better. Plus I want to see Leon start (being my favourite player behind Flem) Against palace and lesser teams I think you can afford:

Green
Helveg. Flem, Mackay, Drury
Bentley, Francis, Holt, Huckerby
Mckenzie, Svensson

Against middle oppisition its got to be

Green
Helveg, Flem, Charlton, Drury
Bentley, Francis, Holt, Brennan
Huckerby/Mckenzie/Svensson (I cant pick between them)

and against the top teams

Green
Eddie, Flem, Charlton, Drury
Helveg, Francis, Holt, Brennan
Hucks,/Sven/Leon (still cant pick)

DumbleDelia,

I watched every Norwich game last year, and if you read my post properly, you would see I alluded to Huckerby drifting out to the left, just as Henry does...However, your post implied that Huckerby should have a set position of left midfield, which I strongly disagree with, for pretty obvious reasons too. Huckerby is best going forward, running at players, not chasing way back into his own half to double up on the the likes of Ronaldo, Ljungberg or Gronkjaer. We''re not in the First Division anymore, we can''t get away with the gung-ho style that allowed Huckerby to just foat about and do what he wanted in the Premiership. If Darren Huckerby starts left midfield in the Premiership, then I''ll eat my own hand.

My point about Edworthy is that we have a better right back in Thomas Helveg...How is that ridiculous? I want our best 11 out on the pitch in every game. Why do you think Iwan was released? He simply couldn''t cut it in the Premiership, he did a good job last season in the First Division too, but we have to have better options for the Premiership. I would have liked to see Iwan in the Premiership, purely from a sentimental perspective, but as the season draws closer, it''s becoming more apparent that we need players who are good enough, and sentiment has no place when we''re trying to establish ourselves in possibly the toughest league in the world. I have no doubts that Edworthy could do a decent job in the Premiership, it''s just that Helveg is better.

You don''t know Helveg is better. Hopefully he will be but he can only be judged in the context of his performances for Norwich. You can''t just say he''s better than Edworthy yet. He might not be able to adapt to English football, his wife might hate it here, he might just not fit in, might not relish a relegation dog fight. I don''t think for a moment this will happen, I think he''ll be great. But you vant just say he''ll be better, simply on reputation.

Careful Jobian - on that basis are you saying that Henry/Ronaldo etc might not be better than Sven/Leon/Hux coz they have never played for Norwich?

I think that on all possible comparable measures Helveg is a better right back than Edworthy will probably ever be - a review of their careers in years to come will continue to find that.

However that does not under-estimate Eddies value to us last season or the possibility that for whatever reason he does not perform while playing for the canaries. As to who plays in the first game I am sure that will be decided on the training field and the up coming friendlies to confirm who - probably Helveg - is the best player for the team.

OTBC

Obviously I hope Helveg is brilliant, and I reckon he probably will be his record is magnificent
however i was just saying you shouldn''t dismiss Edworthy, there are many cases where players improve significantly toward the end of their careers, and a transission into a higher league becomes possible with a combination of experience and a happy working environment. And Edworthy is still bloody fast. There are also cases where a player has done wonderfully in one league is crap in another, That John Dahl Tomasson was crap at Newcastle and look at him now. I don''t think it will be the case but there is a minute possibility players from abroad may be unable to settle in the premiership.

don''t get too excited about helveg just yet - anyone who was at Cambridge last night will know he needs a lot more match practice. The euro chamionship was only a handful of competitive games after all and at a slower pace the english league footy. As i''ve said in another post, lets hope he doesn''t turn out to be another jordi cryff euro wonder who can''t perform at club level.
there''s no way he was better than steddy last night. and i''m still amazed at eddy''s pace - he''s got some real afterburners on him!!

ah, now who looks a t*t!!

me n me mate were long debating about who on earth it was who had come on at right wing and conceded that whilst he looked nothing like he did in the pics - it could only be Helveg!

JARVIS! We never thought for a second it was him - can''t believe it!! Teenagers eh! You don''t see em for a couple of months and they come back taller wider and uglier!!