Sign in to follow this  
magic_eyes

Team Formation

From what I saw at Cambridge last night I think Worthy is looking at a 4-3-2-1 formation. With Sven up front on his own with Hucks and Bentley raiding just behind. I like the look of it as I think it is flexible and can quickly adapt into a 4-3-3 if we''re on top or 4-5-1 if we''re under the cosh. But most of all I think it accomodates what I think are our best 11 players:

Green
Helveg Flem Charlton Drury
Francis Safri Holt
Bentley Hucks
Sven

On paper it looks like there is no width, however in practice, both Edworthy and Drury were able to get forward loads with one of the central midfielders, usually Safri dropping back into defence to cover, all three goals last night came from crosses from wide areas.

What do people think?

I agree, it did look very effective and Svensson played his part well as a target man. Yes, on several occaisions Edworthy went on a super-run and Drury was delivering crosses. I think it worked well with Safri doing his part in the middle of the pitch.

Coventry of course will be a harder test.

I have to agree with Tacklebury that Worthys preferred tactic is 4-4-2 and see little to suggest that he will adopt anything different. Some cover at wide right would be needed but beyond that the cover is in place for this formation.

Other formations may be adopted but one of the reasons for our success is getting players to kno what their roles are - constantly changing formations cause havoc with players performance - look at chelsea under Ranieri when he was changing formation from week to week.

As the 4-3-3 worked at the end of last season I suspect that will be a fall back position when we need to chase the game.

OTBC

Zipper, I am only commenting on what I saw last night and I guess Saturday at Cov will give us another idea of what Worthys plans are. I know Worthy liked 4-4-2 last year but there is a big difference between Div 1 and the Prem, and maybe Worthington has changed his approach.

i agree with magiceyes.

4-3-2-1 sounds like an excellent formation. and it is probably the reason NW is looking around for a top target man. he needs someone along with sven for the squad.

this formation worked wonders for portugal.

green -- helveg, fleming, charlton, drury -- francis, holt, safri -- bentley, hux -- sven.

but 5-3-2 sounds good too:

greeg -- helveg, charlton, fleming, drury, brennan -- francis, holt, bentley -- hux, sven.

and 1 substitution will allow NW to switch from one to the other in addition to being attack or defense-minded in the 5-3-2 formation.

it does seem as well that NW is building a squad that can work in many formations with good versatility. our squad will be fine in 4-4-2 too if he wants to revert back to that but i fear it isn''t malleable enough to work in the prem.

I agree with the earlier messages on the thread, however I honestly can''t see us using anything other than the 4-4-2. I think Worthy is an old-school type of manager who prefers his team to be well organised , with every man knowing his job on the field. Although I like the idea of a 4-3-2-1, I can see us playing a back-four, with the wingers being defensively minded in Brennan and Helveg