Sign in to follow this  
COlchester_canary

Poor Malky

Poor Malky Mackay. For years he has battled away for us not only keeping the best that the first division have to through at us but also scoring crucial goals at crucial times. Had we not beaten the scum via his two goals whose to say that we wouldn''t be looking at Plymouth for our first away game rather than Man U? Now all of a sudden hes out of everyones mind for their team for next season.
I myself find it ridiculous that people would chose Charlton ahead of Malky as at 32 Charlton''s no spring chicken. Why don''t we play Malky/Fleming and so what happens? They may not have pace but what they lack in pace they make up for in the understanding that the share after three seasons playing together.
Don''t fix what isn''t broken.

Charlton is very fit for his age and more importantly he has played at the highest level, and that is the difference. Yes Malky and Flem did take us to the Premiership, but having a good understanding will not be good enough at the higher level. I personally don''t want to see Malky having to resort to shirt tugging and blatant obstruction when he comes up against Henry, Shearer, Van Nistelroy, Bellamy etc. So yes I would put Charlton in before Malky, and even young Shackell, and if Primus arrives he will guarantee to start. We are in the big league now and you cannot afford to be sentimental if you want to stay there. Malky needs to keep himself 100% fit and I''m sure at some stage we will have injuries at the back, and that is when he will get his chance.

Sadly DD, and it pains me to have to say this, there is no room for sentiment in pro football these days. Every pro knows this. Now, I love Malky to bits, a true City legend. And City''s survival must come first.

But try as might, I can''t see the big man coping with the pace of most strikers in the Premiership today, sorry.

At the end of the day, Worthy has got to pick the best side avaliable to him. If that means leaving Mackay out then so be it. If we lose the first 5 games conceded goals then the knife will fall on worthy and everyone will be asking why Mackay played in the first place

Don''t apologise Wiz. I do agree with you that Malky will not be able to keep up with a lot of forwards in the Premiership. Looking on the bright side, there are some players who move up to the Prem and, surprsingly, make the grade. Primus being an example. I know he''s a different type of defender to Malky, but I can still see Malky being given a go

I reckon Malky will be both brilliant and duff next season! On the one hand he will excell at standing up to niggly carthorses like Shearer and giving as good as he gets. On the other hand Bellamy, Henry et al will leave him for dust.

The solution is to sign a speedy defender to play against the latter attackers and have Malky to mark the former.

A verstaile squad to suit all scenarios me thinks

That wy MAlky is still precious and appreciated but not left to do a job that is beyond him

Vicar IMO Malky is all manner of things, but precious is not one of them!

I would be amused to see his reaction if you told him that! Methinks I would have to pray for you.

What more can be said.

I think selective use of Malky will be the key - matching his strengths to the opposition and that includes playing from the bench.

The test is more on Worthy than Malky - when to use him and when not to.

One things for sure, we''ll need as many defensve resources and options as possible.

A good mobile centre back would complete the squad we need.

Just a thought about all of us saying Malkay will not have the pace against Henry & the likes.
How many premiership defenders do cope with him?

pace in central defence is not everything - it can be made up for by good marking and leading the line. Nearly all the elder statesman that go on for longest in the Prem are either target men strikers or centre backs - both of whom can get away with lack of pace with intelligence, anticipation and physical presence. Look at Keown, Adams, etc. It''s at full back where you really need the pace.
I think Malky will do a job for us in the prem. And one more thing, why is no-one questioning Flem''s abilities who is no linford christie either and is older than Malky! I think it''s a partnership that still has something to offer.

You are right - pace is not everything as the valencia defence showed last season. However with Malky it is not just the lack of pace it is his general mobility that is the cause for concern, which even his understanding with Flem will not solve.

When an average div 1 striker like fuller pulls Malkay all over the shop and turns him virtually at will I do get worried - Fuller is not a patch on the likes of Beattie, Phillips, Davies, Yakubu, Keane etc - who we will face week in week out. This excludes the likes of Kezman, The Horse or Henry who as you rightly poit out cause all defenders problems, not just Malkay. In addition we will need to retain possession far more effectively in the prem - which raises Malkays distributional skills - which are also not up to standard.

That is the reason why I feel we need an additional more mobile central defender - and why I feel Charlton will play in central defence.

Please somebody tell me what exactly Malky did for the team last season, coz I can''t see it. Yes he scored some crucial goals but so did other players. Every pass he seemed to make either went astray of was a hoof upfield. I agree that the Malky, Flem partnership worked coz look where it got us. But I now think that its time for Malky to step aside and let a quality centre back come in a play alonside Flem.

Mouse, try talking from your mouth and give the guy a break. Malky was excellent during 2nd half of last season. He isn''t a Iwan who everyone could see had lost it last year. I think he''ll play a key role next year, on the pitch.

Sorry if you don''t like my opinion but that''s just how I saw it and I think that Malky will be the defender who gets dropped next season and we will have somebody else to play along side Flem.