Sign in to follow this  
Jim Smith

Shocked, appalled and dejected

at tonights news. I know i''m a couple of hours late but I simply cannot believe what is going on. Its not just that our "Plan A" appears to be to get in a manager who showed himself to be tactically inept previously and who we had to pay off at great cost. For me though whats most depressing is that whilst we have all been assuming there was a plan for once and had someone lined up buts its now clear we don''t have a bl**dy clue what to do. Its hard to think of an act more out of touch with the fans. I can only assume it may have been a cheap, temporary option for us which is what appealed but for gods sake can things get any worse!

All of the optimism I felt in the wake of the Roeder departure is beginning to ebb away! 

I agree with you, except I think they are in the same boat as the fans - nobody has a clue what would be best or how to achieve it.  It''s just all so terribly sad.  As a club we have run out of money, ideas, and I fear we are fast running out of credibility.  Meanwhile goal difference is keeping us out of the bottom 3 (until Doncaster play their game in hand) and we''re playing Barnsley on Saturday with someone random in charge.Rock bottom and then some.

In which case we might as well have kept him. At least we all knew where we stood with GR, we were just all totally depressed where as you, have managed to advance to the depressed stage [:''(]

how do you come to the decsion that the first and best course of action is to go for worthington???? what kind of board meeting and who had input into coming to that decision???

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I agree with you, except I think they are in the same boat as the fans - nobody has a clue what would be best or how to achieve it.  It''s just all so terribly sad.  As a club we have run out of money, ideas, and I fear we are fast running out of credibility.  Meanwhile goal difference is keeping us out of the bottom 3 (until Doncaster play their game in hand) and we''re playing Barnsley on Saturday with someone random in charge.Rock bottom and then some.[/quote]Well I''m off the fence I want Aidy Boothroyd - this is coming from a guy who from the beginning of each previous appointment had strong reservations about Worthy''s appointment, was totally against Grants appointment and was even more against GR''s appointment.So there it is, if  AB gets the job and flops [which I don''t think he will] I''m happy to put my cards on the table early, as I have always done on appointments and say I got it wrong. In my humble opinion AB is the best that''s out there, within our scope, so lets go get him

[quote user="hurricane"]how do you come to the decsion that the first and best course of action is to go for worthington???? what kind of board meeting and who had input into coming to that decision???[/quote]

How do you come to the conclusion that it was the considered the "first and best course of action"?  Indeed, I remain to be convinced about the story, tbh.  A few lines on a website and some stories in SSN are not really enough for me....in this day and age mistakes can be made and exacerbated by the media machines, but when the dust settles we can but hope that it was a misunderstanding.

My money and my hopes are still pretty much on Aidy B - and none of this Worthy stuff has shaken that.

This board are a complete joke, and are now a laughing stock.  To approach Nigel Worthington, just 2 days after the chief executive told me personally that"...the players stopped playing for Nigel Worthington at the end of his reign...." during a phone call of complaint I made to him, is simply baffling.  This is the man they had to pay a fortune to in order that he left the last time.  The sooner our club are out of the hands of these lunatics the better.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

at tonights news. I know i''m a couple of hours late but I simply cannot believe what is going on. Its not just that our "Plan A" appears to be to get in a manager who showed himself to be tactically inept previously and who we had to pay off at great cost. For me though whats most depressing is that whilst we have all been assuming there was a plan for once and had someone lined up buts its now clear we don''t have a bl**dy clue what to do. Its hard to think of an act more out of touch with the fans. I can only assume it may have been a cheap, temporary option for us which is what appealed but for gods sake can things get any worse!

All of the optimism I felt in the wake of the Roeder departure is beginning to ebb away! 

[/quote]

Look on the bright side! The technically inept Manager is not interested in touching it with a bargepole.

Someone has just posted on the o/s that they e-mailed Doncaster and the gist of the response was that no one has been offered the job, or made any formal approach, least of all the Irish FA.  He says they''ve talked to a lot of people to understand interest/availability.

IMO it sounds very plausible that they have been sounding out every single option, nothing more, and NI have misconstrued it. 

Tbh, if that is what it is, it is no more than you''d expect.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]I agree with you, except I think they are in the same boat as the fans - nobody has a clue what would be best or how to achieve it.  It''s just all so terribly sad.  As a club we have run out of money, ideas, and I fear we are fast running out of credibility.  Meanwhile goal difference is keeping us out of the bottom 3 (until Doncaster play their game in hand) and we''re playing Barnsley on Saturday with someone random in charge.

Rock bottom and then some.

[/quote]

Even if we had the ideas...what could we do?

NCFC is now a rudderless ship and the rocks are looming large. Now lets hear someone say a mass protest against the board would be counter productive. This is all that is left.

It''s worse than awful....it''s simply unbelievable.

Well, if disgraced Government Minister can resurface, be made a big noise in the EEC, return back to Government and be made a ''Right Honourable Lord''; then be allowed to dictate how business in the country is run.....anythings possible....And all we do, is shuffle our feet....

[quote user="Mello Yello"]Well, if disgraced Government Minister can resurface, be made a big noise in the EEC, return back to Government and be made a ''Right Honourable Lord''; then be allowed to dictate how business in the country is run.....anythings possible....And all we do, is shuffle our feet....[/quote]

Another classic case of looking backwards to go forward. A sure sign of desperation and the comparison is an excellent one.

[quote user="Branston Pickle"]

Someone has just posted on the o/s that they e-mailed Doncaster and the gist of the response was that no one has been offered the job, or made any formal approach, least of all the Irish FA.  He says they''ve talked to a lot of people to understand interest/availability.

IMO it sounds very plausible that they have been sounding out every single option, nothing more, and NI have misconstrued it. 

[/quote]Spot on, if I were on the board, I''d draft up options, and then explore each one. The fans only see / hear bits of fact, then link the rest together. Maybe the Worthington thing was simply an avenue of investigation. Just maybe they do have alternatives.

[quote user="No Quarter"]This board are a complete joke, and are now a laughing stock.  To approach Nigel Worthington, just 2 days after the chief executive told me personally that"...the players stopped playing for Nigel Worthington at the end of his reign...." during a phone call of complaint I made to him, is simply baffling.  This is the man they had to pay a fortune to in order that he left the last time.  The sooner our club are out of the hands of these lunatics the better.[/quote]

here here!

[/quote]

another classic case of denial. Cam has confirmed it and it''s all over the press and media, but as long as the Doomcaster said it didn''t happen then that''s ok then.

No doubt we will find out at 8.45 (if that rumour is true). I think that attributing as "fact" reports from the press is not expecially bright. I have no doubt our club is just as able to play the media game a little bit and they cannot afford to leak anything to supporters or message boards either. The press make up their stories based on speculation and tittle tattle: anyone who believes otherwise is seriously delusioned. It may be Worthington, it may not but there is little point assuming it is because it appeared on teletext. I think last time we were linked with everyone other than Ron Atkinson.

[/quote]

They must have had some sort of dialogue with the Irish FA, the mere fact that Worthy was even being considered means they either have very short memories or they haven''t got a clue what they''re doing. I know which one I would go for.

[quote user="hurricane"]how do you come to the decsion that the first and best course of action is to go for worthington???? what kind of board meeting and who had input into coming to that decision???[/quote]

Spot on Hurricane, we need to know who has mad cows disease on the board!

All emotion and conjecture aside, the more managers that are sacked by us, the less it hides the board''s  ineptitude at football matters. I have always supported Delia''s intentions towards the club, and no-one can prove that she doesn''t have anything but the best in mind for us, but the simple fact is that we''ve had three good seasons since the current board took over, countless managers and made too many bad decisions in the transfer market.

All the bitching and whining is all very personal, and pointless. But whatever their efforts and intentions, which should be commended, our club is getting football things wrong from the top down. As a business we may well be the envy of many, but as a footballing entity we are now becoming a circus.

Whatever you thought of Roeder - and he didn''t help himself - he may well have created a stable club had he have had the money. As might have Grant, and Worthy. But the leadership from the very top has NEVER been decisive enough, and that permeates throughout the club.

Last night''s news about Worthy makes it pretty clear we haven''t got much idea about what we''re doing, whatever the truth in it. The shame is that we haven''t got a plan B, and it''s the realisation of this that sums up the last decade or so of NCFC.

Let''s hope a consortium will be created that will put some football savvy back into the club, otherwise we''ll end up a sorry old sight.

Of ocourse it is likely that all this Worthington nonesense has been blown out of proportion, and the media et al have made more of what actually has happened. However, our board should know full well the implications of this and should at least tell us all it was XYZ. They never bloody do, and that fuels the anti-board sentiments.