Sign in to follow this  
CaptCanary

Good For A Laugh!

I work at the Cambridge Evening News and the match report of last nights game is a good ''light-hearted'' read:

".......it became hard to tell which team was about to play in the top flight as United passed the ball around well and harried their opponents while the defence dealt easily with thw limited Norwich attacks."

"If it had not been for conceding two early goals United could well have come away with a draw".

Indeed, I''d even go so far as to say it with some confidence it could well have been approximately 1-1. If it hadn''t been for those two other goals, that is.

Hmm, because we would have been trying our hardest wouldn''t we. And if the best we can muster can''t score past them in the second half, well....

Just goes to show how biased local media are. Our papers are the same. I''m sure we''re not as good as they say we are ;-)

Our first half team totally dominated them. After scoring 2 in five minutes, its hard for any team to really motivate themselves to push on.

I agree the 2nd half team looked poor and Cambridge did compete well, but it was virtually a reserve team.

Add to that, that arguably our 2 best players didn''t feature, Hucks and Helveg, then I think Cambridge should take credit that they are as good as Norwich reserves, but that our 1st team would slaughter them.

Agreed that quote from the report is a fair reflection of the 2nd half but to be honest it was all over after 20 minutes and we never really raised our game again.

"Cambridge should take credit that they are as good as Norwich reserves".

I know what you''re trying to say, but do you really think it was a good reflection on the relative abilities of the two teams? It was a friendly.

Actually Amarillo it''s worse than I originally suggested: if it hadn''t been for all 3 goals we scored, they''d have beaten us 1-0. What an upset that would have been; we ought to be very worried. Now I come to think of it, a lot of our wins, even in competitive matches, have been achieved this way - a blatant and risky over-reliance on scoring more goals than the opposition.

I love your sense of humour GenA47. As a matter of fact, let''s discard the notion of scoring goals at all in the Premiership. How about adorning our gladiators in green and yellow tutus while teaching them to perform pirouettes and cartwheels. This should send Man U and others into total shock. It may even get opposing fans roaring us on with approval. This kind of innovation may allow us to stay in the top division with a bye.