Sign in to follow this  
Pete Raven

Worthington turns down shock City return

I''m absolutely gobsmacked by this.  If there''s any consolation though, it has gone to show what a complete bunch of fools the board really are.  There was too much praise for them after Roeder was sacked.  I''m not sorry he was fired, but I''m more angry that he was appointed in the first place when so many people from everywhere he''d managed had nothing good to say about him.  Was there any research into his background and his hopeless failures at every club he''d been to?  Also, if you fire someone, at least have a decent backup plan, although considering they were scratching their heads for ideas at the AGM suggests that such a feat is beyond them.  It all smacks of panic and cluelessness.

And we''re stuck with them, whoever comes in as boss.  God help the future of this club. [:(]

OK, Archant states that Worthington has turned the job down, however all other reports say that the IFA refused us permission to talk to him. These are 2 totally different things. Now just because we wanted to talk to him doesn''t mean that he was going to get the job does it? I think it''s a case of people jumping to conclusions and Archant stoking fires again!

Just my opinion. 

[quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

OK, Archant states that Worthington has turned the job down, however all other reports say that the IFA refused us permission to talk to him. These are 2 totally different things. Now just because we wanted to talk to him doesn''t mean that he was going to get the job does it? I think it''s a case of people jumping to conclusions and Archant stoking fires again!

Just my opinion. 

[/quote]

You''re missing the point by miles.  The point is, what on earth made the board think it would be a good idea to approach him, or that there was any chance he would accept?  What planet are they on?

Worthy didn''t turn the job down, he ruled himself out of the running.

I don''t think I have seen the message board in more aggreance. There is so much shock here, this has really hit home that are board are a complete bunch of morons....

Just my opinion. 

[/quote]

Its the fact that they thought he would even consider it that I find unbelievable.

Only an out of touch board would imagine that this was even a possibiliy.

To think that we are run by such complete amateurs is enough to make you want to puke.

I think we should also bring back Sutch, Beckford, Steve Walsh, Cottee, Simon Tracey, Brian Hamilton, Andy Hooz and Robert Chase.....(for starters).

Well, the board fuggin'' started it![:|]

It just reiterates, that they are entirely and truly out of touch with the real world......of football.....and er, the real world.

I think they are takin'' the pi$$.

I thought this was a joke when i first found out! WHY OH WHY would they consider this to be the way forward, if this had actually gone through i cant imagine what the atmosphere at carrow road would have been like! Welcome your team and new manager Nigel Worthington to carrow road!! (que the tumble weeds)!!

Just my opinion. 

[/quote]

We have spoken to Worthy and he doesn''t want to come back to you.

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

Just my opinion. 

[/quote]

[/quote]Cam,Can our lot really have wanted him back as Plan A ?  Did you get that impression from speaking to him ?

[quote user="Camuldonum"]PS: It might have been for a (slightly clumsy) shortlist but he will not be on it.[/quote]

So are you saying it was us just sounding out the IFA in order to get a list of potential and available candidates in order to then build a shortlist??

[quote user="blahblahblah"][quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="Attleborough_Canary"]

Just my opinion. 

[/quote]

[/quote]

Cam,

Can our lot really have wanted him back as Plan A ?  Did you get that impression from speaking to him ?
[/quote]

You want me to tell you what a Norwich Plan A is?  Only joking.  You definitely rang and under the FA rules they are obliged to tell the player/manager that an approach has been made - they can reject it out of hand but they MUST tell the person approached that they have been approached.  Then the player/manager has to either agree/disagree (or phone his Agent) but, honestly, he''s not interested.

Been there, done that.  Preparing the hapless NI team (not really his fault) for World Cup qualifiers or belting down from Rookery Farm to save you from League 1.

Bit of a no brainer I would have thought although some would say marginal.

Your approach was reported to him by the IFA - as they MUST - but as we understand the refusal only came after they asked him if he was interested.

He isn''t interested.  "I wouldn''t go back, no" was what he told The Girl Upstairs. 

He did add: "I hope they sort something out  It''s not looking good.  Love the club but it seems to have lost it''s way........."[:|]  

Is this just a little bit of creative journalism by the N.I. FA to try to suggest Worthy is more popular than his results suggest he should be?The quotes (that I''ve seen at least) seemed to

suggest that the Northern Ireland FA "would turn down any approach"

(should one materialise) however when that got to the headline writer

it became the Northern Ireland FA had "turned down an actual approach".

????

[quote user="Camuldonum"]PS: It might have been for a (slightly clumsy) shortlist but he will not be on it.[/quote]

I must have missed your tenure as the reporter that exposed the Watergate Scandal which lead to the eventual downfall of President Richard Nixon.....

Are you ''Bob Woodward'' who was played by Robert Redford?

Or ''Carl Bernstein'' who was played by Dustin Hoffman?

For once I am in total agreement, this is final proof that the board has lost its collective mind.

Just how stupid does this once great football club look now?

This is the lowest point I have felt in 36 years supporting City.

Go delia, Go MWJ, Go Niel Doomcaster, just @#+@ off.

And to think that some thought there was a plan yesterday..............

I actually can''t believe that this story is true... I really don''t....Firstly, it would be a disaster (know what i mean). Worthy left with an alright cloud over his head, and the reaction on here sums up the fan''s feelings. Secondly, as everyone has said, we don''t have any money to pay anyone off (i.e. the Northern Irish FA)Thirdly, if you were in charge of the Irish FA, and you saw the opportunity to, not only get rid of worthington (have they won a single game with him in charge?), but get compensation money into the bargain, what would you do? "Nigel, you''re off to Norwich mate"I''m 100% (well, maybe 95%) certain, that this isn''t true. (I hope at least)

Yesturday I celebrated, the board had done the right thing against all my expectations and sacked the disaster that was Glenn Roeder. It seemed that it was just possible they were making moves in the right direction. Then this. Approaching Nigel Worthington. I despare. This is beyond all reasoning or common sense. How on earth can they even comprehend or entertain such an idea. What on earth do they take us fans for. Do they want to divide us even more, get even further up our backs. Do they not remember the Worthy Out chants of a few short years ago. Do they want to poison the atmosphere at Carrow Road even more. I really cannot believe this. Yesturday I wrote that the next appointment they make is crucial to the future of the club, it has to be the right one. Can they get it right? On this evidence I strongly doubt it!

How stunningly arrogant and stupid is this? If we needed further proof that Smith and her aimless cohorts have totally lost grasp of reality this is it. I''m so chuffed that Worthington has had his chance to stick two fingers up to those who claim to run this club and he must be laughing his socks off. He was hung out to dry to save their own skins...and then they have the cheek to try to turn back time in such a cynical way.

What a bloody joke Norwich City is in the eyes of English football. I''m genuinely stunned as I thought things could not get worse than they are already.

Gobsmacked, shock and horror - this news  rearly does beg the question should these CLOWNS (board) be running this NCFC, they would be a risk to a dogs home.

I liked Worthington, he did a good job for Norwich until the last year or so of his tenure and I was sorry to see him leave under a cloud.

He would have to be quite mad to come back though, under any circumstances.

The board are now badly exposed.

I''m just shocked by the fact that so many people appear to be shocked by this Board''s idiocy!

Well i heard about this down the pub, had three pints in less than an hour and headed back planning to add something cogent and thoughtful to the reaction.........i can`t.  The only possible sense i can make of it is that they had someone lined up to replace Roeder, and that person has now done a U-turn leaving the board absolutely desperate to look as though they have a plan B.......and have managed to dig a hole for themselves of monumental proportions.

They are incompetent and MUST GO.

It''s weird. in purely footballing terms it would probably be a shrewd, reasonable move, in any PR , fan based, "forward thinking" move, based on any shred of reality it''s nightmare territory. I might have to change my signature now.......