[quote user="McCanary"][quote user="The Butler"][quote user="Evil Monkey"][quote user="CaptnCanary"]Actually I''m far from a moron. Some of my views may be controversial I know but they may also be correct! There is good evidence to support the idea that global warming does not even exist in the way the general public believe. If you look at global temperatures over the past 70 years or so since the industrial revolution began the global temperature has actually fallen in 4 out of 7 of those decades. People who study Solar activity also confirm that the temperature of the earth has a very good correlation with the levels of activity and therefore heat eminating from the sun than anything else. Earths temperature also bears no correlation to the amount of industry and CO2 output by humans on the planet. 90% of the CO2 generated on earth actually comes from the Algae in the Sea. Does human input to that really make much difference? I''m not saying we should not recycle and be as environmentally friendly as we can be but we should not do that to the detriment of our quality of life, i.e. never travel or do anything that creates CO2. A whole industry has been developed on the unproven notion of global warming and those being paid to research and report on it have a conflict of interest in that they would be out of a job if they said ''actually it doesn''t exist'' because they would be out of a job. So in order to keep their jobs and their research grants they have to come up with wilder and wilder headlines. I could go on but this is getting somewhat OT.[/quote]
A few points of clarification:

• The industrial revolution began in the late 1700s, not the 1930s.

• Global temperatures have increased by approximately 0.5 degrees in the last 150 years or so, which does not correlate with any sunspot activity.

• I don''t believe your figures on Algae to be entirely correct but it is true that photosynthesis and respiration from plants and animals (including our own breathing) releases a vast amount of CO2.  Both plants and algae, however, actually have a greater net intake of CO2 than output.  Simple chemical science, really.

• The athmospheric CO2 levels rely on a delicate carbon balance.  Releasing vast quantities of carbon from the burning of fossil fuels whilst also deforesting large areas and thus destroying large swathes of carbon stores - the aforementioned plants - upsets that balance, which is why the levels are now increasing faster than at any point in the Earth''s recent history (and by recent, I mean the last 100 000 years or so).

All really simple when you think about it.  So, back to that point about you not being a moron..........................
[/quote]

Thanks for that EM. I have fully digested your lecture this time. In future mouth firmly shut re global warming (even if I do disagree)

[/quote]

Based on this post...are Cap`n and Butler one and the same???

[/quote]

No I am me and he is he. This refered to a thread months ago that  got lectured over!!

[quote user="The Butler"]

No I am me and he is he. This refered to a thread months ago that  got lectured over!!

[/quote]

...and apologies to you too, Sir[:D]