Sign in to follow this  
colneycanary

Jimmy Calderwood??

You know what? The more I look at his achievements, albeit in Scotland and a little in Holland, the more I like the look of him as our manager. He has done welll and I would support his appointment, very much so.

I doubt that he will be here though, he is under contract and we all know that we have less money than Zimbabwe..................

Wouldn''t surprise me if he is the man. I agree he sounds very good and I would be truly excited if we got him. He seems a strange manager to be linked with us and I hope there is something in this. Looks like Skybet and Victor Chandler have suspended betting and I am not sure if this is related, but apparently people have been piling big money on Calderwood, so here''s hoping.

[quote user="Jim Kent"]Wouldn''t surprise me if he is the man. I agree he sounds very good and I would be truly excited if we got him. He seems a strange manager to be linked with us and I hope there is something in this. Looks like Skybet and Victor Chandler have suspended betting and I am not sure if this is related, but apparently people have been piling big money on Calderwood, so here''s hoping.

[/quote]http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/clubfootball/news/newsid=671966.htmlVery unlikely if he''s just signed a new 3 year deal with Aberdeen.

On paper he certainly seems to be a sucessful manager.  Having said that, if you look at Iain Dowies stats, he''s a pretty impressive manager too and I''m not sure I would want him at the club.

My worry with people like Dowie, Curbishley and Boothroyd is that they would simply use the club as a way back in and a leg up the ladder in a year or twos time, leaving us hanging out to dry just as we''re improving.  Calderwood seems like he wants to stick around to complete the job looking at the time he''s spent at each club and the past offers he''s rejected.

It is a risk though - not many successful managers have come south of the border and done it in England - McGee, Levein, Jeffries, Brown, Smith and even Souness and McLeish are all names associated with success in Scotland that have failed to achieve the same heights here so far.  I''m sure there are others that have succeeded (apart from Ferguson and Moyes) but I can''t think of them off the top of my head.

no one had really heard of owen coyle before  he took the reigns at burnley ..maybe its time to take a look at someone other than the same old faces ? its certainly working for burnley [:D]

Didn''t know he''d been at Aberdeen for so long.  I only really know him for their European achievments last season, which were pretty spectacular given the resources he''s had.

Doubt the 3 year contract is an issue - there will be a clause in it somewhere.

[quote user="JJ"]

Didn''t know he''d been at Aberdeen for so long.  I only really know him for their European achievments last season, which were pretty spectacular given the resources he''s had.

[/quote]

You wouldn''t sign a 3 year contract if you wanted to leave.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thing is, he signed it a year ago - that''s a long time in football.  Apparently, he''s been getting a bit more flak off the fans this season, so there''s always the chance he''ll have doubts in his mind.

Never say never in football.  Contracts don''t mean an awful lot these days.

[quote user="JJ"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="JJ"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thing is, he signed it a year ago - that''s a long time in football. 

[/quote]

[:S] Note to self: must stop thinking it''s still 2008.....  [:S]

[quote user="rieg77"]

My worry with people like Dowie, Curbishley and Boothroyd is that they would simply use the club as a way back in and a leg up the ladder in a year or twos time, [/quote]

...and are we not using them, and any players, for just that purpose....?

Posted last night, there''s certainly alot of press stories linking Jimmy Calderwood to the City job. Problem is they have all probably come fom the same initial source.

His odds were cut from 20 odds down to something like 6-1 as there was a £1000 bet placed on him yesterday (small market).

Reckon the guys done fantisically well up here for Raith, Dunfermline and Aberdeen - he comes as part of a twosome in Jimmy Nicholl (ex Man Utd/Northern Ireland)