Sign in to follow this  
Iwan Roberts

Why Boothroyd? Do you all have short memories?

I remember Watford playing down at Carrow Road a while ago and many fans after the game were saying how they hated the style of play and how they wouldn''t pay money to see that s***e every Saturday. And now guess what?? Everybody wants the very manager who told them to play that way in at Norwich!! Don''t get me wrong I don''t really give a stuff what style of play we adopt so long as it is effective but I wouldn''t mind betting that these same fans will be moaning in six months time about are style of play. By the way we don''t have the sort of players here to play that style so where will that leave us??

did you ever think that the majority of the people at watford were tall and thats generally why he adopted that style of play managers don''t have a set style of play for every club they manager do they? he isnt gonna buy ten 6 ft players just so he can play the long ball/physical tactic

It''s like saying Tony Pulis if he got any other job he would automatically adopt the sytle of long ball wouldn''t he so critical we do''t even know if he''s gonna be the manager but whoever it is you''re gonna complain arent you which is always gonna help the club ain''t it...

That''s cobblers mate. Generally speaking managers have a style of play they prefer and will generally take that style of play with them wherever they go. I''m thinking Kevin Keegan, Sam Allardice, Capello......need I go on??

Maybe you are the one with the short memory.

Boothroyd, only a few months after taking over at Watford, who were widely expected to struggle that season, did they win in the play-off final and get promoted.

After the past 4 years of utter dross, I don''t care if we play total football or hoof-ball, as long as we start winning matches!

We need to start winning games, pure and simple.

How the new manager achieves that, i really don;t care as long as we start winning. as has been ponited out, since we were relegated from the Premier League, we have seen some abysmal stuff...maybe now we might see some goals in the opposition''s net!

[quote user="Iwan Roberts"]That''s cobblers mate. Generally speaking managers have a style of play they prefer and will generally take that style of play with them wherever they go. I''m thinking Kevin Keegan, Sam Allardice, Capello......need I go on??[/quote]Very very true, only top top line managers can chop and change in an effective way.

I agree, you use stoke as an example, but what league are they playing in??? It doesn''t matter what style of footy we play at the moment as long as it''s winning football. Direct football gets you up and out of this league, if we manage to make the promise land ever again, then we worry about "sexy footbal"... Just look at crewe....it doesn''t work outside the prem unless you have premiership quality players like Reading for example.

The style of play issue is the main drawback for Boothroyd. Against that is the fact that he was Youth Coach here previously and I am guessing that he didn''t set up our Youth team as a long ball side - perhaps any pf the regular youth watchers can recall his spell here?

At this moment in time we need a manager who can come in and win us 8 games between now and the end of the season. How we get them I don''t care to be honest! 3rd tier football is not something we want even if it sees the end of the current board.

Iwan, look at my first 2 words, "i agree" i was actually just backing your comments about not caring about the style of footy as long as it gets us results, dipstick!

Football MUST be played the right way. THATS why people love football. It IS the beautiful game.

Only the shallow, the young, or the armchair fans cite ''results at any cost''

[quote user="IBA"]Football MUST be played the right way. THATS why people love football. It IS the beautiful game.

Only the shallow, the young, or the armchair fans cite ''results at any cost''[/quote]Hey I am young and dont want to have to watch that awful brand of football.  Its so painful to watch and I mean even Bolton fans after 6th in the league hated it!  But I do fear getting relegated.

I would like to point out that Tony Pulishas played the same style of football (long ball/wimbledon esc)  At every football club he has managed.

I''ll probably get stick for this, but I didn''t find Watford''s style of play particularly offensive when they beat us as Carrow Road.

They were big, strong and direct but that isn''t the same as Hoofball. They got it upfield quickly but their strikers and wingers actually played some nice stuff.

Considering the crowd at Carrow Road get agitated as soon as a pass is played backward of sideways, I think this is probably for the best. Oh, but then they get agitated when it''s booted forwards as well, or when someone tries something outlandish, or when someone tries to beat a player and fails....oh well never mind.

Aidy gets my vote. Bearing in mind realistic alternatives.