Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Who is the most successful championship manager in the last 5 seasons ?

I would give pardew a try.I don''t think there''s a manager in league who could have saved charlton.He was treated terrible at west ham.

He trys to play good football and never publicly slates his players.

He dosn''t seem arrogant,and wears his heart on his sleeve,all these thinks were lacking in grant and roeder

And i am pretty sure he would play players in their positions rather than shuffle people around to fit his favorites in

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Robins could be great for us, but with zero championship experience, it worries me that he will have to learn the level on the job.  Most of the managers on that list had success after a couple of seasons learning the ropes I''d argue, and that''s why I''d take Boothroyd over Robins.  I''m fairly certain that either of them would keep us up though, as I think we have an under-performing mid-table squad, as opposed to a relegation material one.
[/quote]

Managers rarely repeat successes at more than a couple of clubs;  even the names above have not and that is why only 3/4 managers have won the premier/league title with morethan one club, same thing applies here. (Dalgish, Clough Chapman are the one I can recall).  When have we taken a manager from a league above or level from us and had success ourselves?

What works for us is someone who will gain an affinity with the team.  O''Neill and Worthy cut their managerial teeth in leagues below us and were by far the most successful managers we have had in terms of win %s despite having no championship experience.  Good managers start somewhere.

The likes of Brown, Stringer walker came through the ranks,  that sort of approach is unlikely to happen now given the flavour of having my own back room team brought in with you,  jobs for chums.

Of those brought in from elsewhere we have rioch, roeder and walker vII.  Grant had no managerial experience and was the ultimate loan too far.

Boothroyd did have success with watford,   but on the back of a youth policy which brought through some good players primarily Ashley Young.  Like worthy he was then unable to hold a squad unity back in this league.

Of the list above 3 stand out as consistently delivering performance in this league and not surprisingly all are employed (McCarthy, Coppell and Warnock)  Just as consistently they have failed in the prem. We are and always have been a team on a budget so these championship superstars are out of our league. All the candidates have big big question marks against them and so I am nervous whoever we appoint.   Which is why I have only just come to the conclusion of Robins,  does have a history with the club,, new and eager, would be relatively cheap, knows how to work on a shoestring and if worst comes to worst he knows what it takes to succeed in League 1.   

I dont know what the answer is,  but  I remain extremely nervous about our fate given NIL outstanding candidates.

This is a really good thread. Robins and Boothroyd seem the leading candidates as far as I''m concerned. I think I''d go for Boothroyd, on the grounds that we can''t really afford for someone like Robins to learn on the job given the sityooashun we are in. However, a mate of mine who supports Rotherham thinks Robins is wonderful, and he certainly knows how to deal with a crisis...

[quote user="ZippersLeftFoot"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Robins could be great for us, but with zero championship experience, it worries me that he will have to learn the level on the job.  Most of the managers on that list had success after a couple of seasons learning the ropes I''d argue, and that''s why I''d take Boothroyd over Robins.  I''m fairly certain that either of them would keep us up though, as I think we have an under-performing mid-table squad, as opposed to a relegation material one.
[/quote]

Managers rarely repeat successes at more than a couple of clubs;  even the names above have not and that is why only 3/4 managers have won the premier/league title with morethan one club, same thing applies here. (Dalgish, Clough Chapman are the one I can recall).  When have we taken a manager from a league above or level from us and had success ourselves?

What works for us is someone who will gain an affinity with the team.  O''Neill and Worthy cut their managerial teeth in leagues below us and were by far the most successful managers we have had in terms of win %s despite having no championship experience.  Good managers start somewhere.

The likes of Brown, Stringer walker came through the ranks,  that sort of approach is unlikely to happen now given the flavour of having my own back room team brought in with you,  jobs for chums.

Of those brought in from elsewhere we have rioch, roeder and walker vII.  Grant had no managerial experience and was the ultimate loan too far.

Boothroyd did have success with watford,   but on the back of a youth policy which brought through some good players primarily Ashley Young.  Like worthy he was then unable to hold a squad unity back in this league.

Of the list above 3 stand out as consistently delivering performance in this league and not surprisingly all are employed (McCarthy, Coppell and Warnock)  Just as consistently they have failed in the prem. We are and always have been a team on a budget so these championship superstars are out of our league. All the candidates have big big question marks against them and so I am nervous whoever we appoint.   Which is why I have only just come to the conclusion of Robins,  does have a history with the club,, new and eager, would be relatively cheap, knows how to work on a shoestring and if worst comes to worst he knows what it takes to succeed in League 1.   

I dont know what the answer is,  but  I remain extremely nervous about our fate given NIL outstanding candidates.

[/quote]

Agree with that ZLF, but I''d take Boothroyd because he''s able to communicate well with players and fans. At least the Watford fan I know said that. His style of football? I don''t care as long as it is effective...! An outsider like Robins would suit me fine too. He''s got a heart for the club and is ambitious, we shouldn''t be looking for a too big name.