Sign in to follow this  
blahblahblah

Who is the most successful championship manager in the last 5 seasons ?

After our last 2 managers were taken on, the first with no experience of management, the second with most of his best work in the Premiership, and seeing where those managers got us, it got me to thinking, who is good at doing well in this league ?Below are the top team teams for the last 5 complete seasons, and the managers of those teams.03 / 04 Norwich (NW), West Brom (Megson), Sunderland(McCarthy), West Ham(Pardew), Ipswich (Royle), C Palace(Dowie), Wigan (Jewell), Sheff Utd(Warnock), Reading (Coppell), Millwall (Wise)04 / 05 Sunderland (McCarthy), Wigan(Jewell), Ipswich(Royle), Derby (Burley), Preston(Davies), West Ham (Pardew), Reading (Coppell), Sheff Utd(Warnock), Wolves(Jones/Hoddle), Millwall (Wise)05 / 06 Reading (Coppell), Sheff Utd (Warnock), Watford (Boothroyd), Preston(Davies), Leeds(Blackwell), Palace(Dowie), Wolves(Hoddle), Coventry (Reid/Adams), Norwich (NW), Luton (Newell)06 / 07 Sunderland (Keane), Birmingham(Bruce), Derby (Davies), West Brom (Mowbray), Wolves (McCarthy), Soton (Burley), Preston(Simpson), Stoke (Pulis), Sheff Wed (Laws), Colchester (Parkinson)07 / 08 West Brom(Mowbray), Stoke (Pulis), Hull (Brown), Bristol (Johnson), Palace (Warnock), Watford (Boothroyd), Wolves (McCarthy), Ipswich(Magilton), Sheff Utd (Blackwell), Plymouth (Sturrock)If you take the teams out of the equation, and look just at the managers, you get a list of highest achieving managers at this level over that time, ordered by number of finishes, and then positions.4 top 10 finishesMcCarthy 3rd, 1st, 5th, 7th. 2 clubsWarnock 8th, 8th, 2nd, 5th. 2 clubs3Davies 5th, 4th, 3rd. 2 clubsCoppell 9th, 7th, 1st2Mowbray 4th, 1stRoyle 5th & 3rdJewell 7th, 2ndBoothroyd 3rd, 6thWorthington 1st & 9thPulis 8th, 2ndPardew 4th, 6thBurley 4th, 6thDowie 6th & 6thBlackwell 5th, 9th 2 clubsHoddle 9th, 7thWise 10th, 10th1Keane 1stBruce 2ndMegson 2ndBrown 3rdJohnson 4thPardew 6thSimpson 7thReid / Adams 8thMagilton 8thLaws 9thBlackwell 9thNewell 10thParkinson 10thSturrock 10thThis is of course completely pointless.  But if it happens to stimulate some debate over some names that might have been missed, then all well and good.Conclusion ?  I have far too much time on my hands.  Also, Billy Davies has got 2 different teams into the top 10 in the last 3 seasons.  Would people accept his style of play though, even if it''s effective ?  Is he a hoof-ball merchant or have I got my wires crossed ?  Would he take a job here ?Prediction ?  We8Wba will be extremely smug at some point in this thread.

pick the bones out of that. I think what this post, along with all the posts about peoples preferences proves is, what an unenviable task it is choosing a manager, a complete lottery, previous records appear to mean nothing and you''ll never please all the fans.

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

If there''s anybody on that list I would love to see at Norwich it would Steve Coppell, but I know there''s not a cat''s chance in hell of that happening...

[/quote]Delia and Mike could do worse than drive down to Reading with a million pounds of non-sequential used bills in a suitcase.  But I don''t know if it would be enough.  I get the feeling he might be a one club man.

[quote user="The Walking Man"]

If there''s anybody on that list I would love to see at Norwich it would Steve Coppell, but I know there''s not a cat''s chance in hell of that happening...

[/quote]coppell = triple yes.would it ever happen? triple no.sadly. :(

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Absolutely foggo, could you imagine the uproar if we tried to appoint McCarthy, Warnock or Davies ?[/quote]I think davies is an excellent manager but he is alleged to be a completely obnoxious individual, warnock the same, I''d have either so I''d better stick to plumbing

[quote user="foggo7"][quote user="blahblahblah"]Absolutely foggo, could you imagine the uproar if we tried to appoint McCarthy, Warnock or Davies ?[/quote]I think davies is an excellent manager but he is alleged to be a completely obnoxious individual, warnock the same, I''d have either so I''d better stick to plumbing[/quote]I wouldn''t care if Genghis Khan managed our team if he had got a play-off spot 3 or 4 times over the last 5 seasons.

blahblahblah, please can you keep your posts to 3 sentences max in the future please as I struggle to read more than that in one go as i lose concentration and often fall of my horse into a pool of steamed cabbage. sorry i digress

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Absolutely foggo, could you imagine the uproar if we tried to appoint McCarthy, Warnock or Davies ?
[/quote]

Really?  I''d have been happy with those three if it had ever arisen.  They might have some arrogance like Roeder, but they have good track records.  Roeder did not, and that''s why he should never have been appointed.

Sorry Beaker, when I start typing I just get sidetracked and forget what I was talking about and before I realise it I''ve written several paragraphs of undulating guff.  That short enough for you, or are you in the cabbage ?

[quote user="JJ"]

[quote user="blahblahblah"]Absolutely foggo, could you imagine the uproar if we tried to appoint McCarthy, Warnock or Davies ?[/quote]

Really?  I''d have been happy with those three if it had ever arisen.  They might have some arrogance like Roeder, but they have good track records.  Roeder did not, and that''s why he should never have been appointed.

[/quote]

Warnock and Davies would get a hard time (I believe) because they rely on the long-ball.  Warnock would get a hard time simply because he''s Warnock.  We probably wouldnt have appointed McCarthy post-Sunderland, pre Wolves.  Looking at his record I''d snap Wolves hand off for him now, but that just isnt'' going to happen when they''re top of the league.

Davies might be worth a look - I''m just wondering how palatable he would be to our faithful.

One of the best posts i''ve seen on here in the last week after doomcaster announced the board were looking for someone who has achieved in the league were in...Must have taken a while to compile that list as well.It''s clear to see the correlation as well, look at the top four managers they currently occupuy 1st, 2nd, 6th spot with Davies in my mind about to save forest this season. Aidy Bootyhroyd has achieved two good finishes so why not give him the job? people on about him being arrogant like roeder, yes they''re are certain levels of arrogance but a manager has to be arrogant to be in that job in the first place the one true exception I can think of is Steve Coppell but we all know thats a complete non-starter

Cheers Lord.Forest.  That''s where Davies is, bugger.  I''d forgotten.  We''re not getting him then.  Boothroyd would be an excellent choice I think.

From your list, Adie fits the bill when it comes to track records in this league.  All the other top choices are taken, and Jewell apparently messed us about last time.

Would have loved Mowbray here.  He joined WBA around the time we got Grant.  A missed opportunity sadly.

[quote user="The Lord"]One of the best posts i''ve seen on here in the last week after doomcaster announced the board were looking for someone who has achieved in the league were in...Must have taken a while to compile that list as well.It''s clear to see the correlation as well, look at the top four managers they currently occupuy 1st, 2nd, 6th spot with Davies in my mind about to save forest this season. Aidy Bootyhroyd has achieved two good finishes so why not give him the job? people on about him being arrogant like roeder, yes they''re are certain levels of arrogance but a manager has to be arrogant to be in that job in the first place the one true exception I can think of is Steve Coppell but we all know thats a complete non-starter[/quote]The one that amazes me is Roy Hodgson. For someone involved in a high pressure world apparently occupied solely by egomaniacs & primadonnas, he does a very passable impression of an amiable old buffer.

Thought I''d regurgitate this quote I posted a while back which shows that Warnock was once interviewed by Norwich. I presume it was before he took over at Sheff Utd but still gives you an insight into the interview panels line of questioning!

Warnock (talking about Norwich): "It isn''t easy coming down here, the crowd get behind them, it''s a great crowd down here. I remember when I had an interview for a job here once. I was around a table and they said "Neil ....... do you think your style of football will be ok for Norwich City" and I looked round the table at them one by one and said what do you mean winning football!"

[quote user="JJ"]

From your list, Adie fits the bill when it comes to track records in this league.  All the other top choices are taken, and Jewell apparently messed us about last time.

Would have loved Mowbray here.  He joined WBA around the time we got Grant.  A missed opportunity sadly.

[/quote]

Grants his number 2 now I believe - I wonder if West Brom would do us a favour and sack him - then maybe we could pick them up.  If the players could get over having Grant back as a coach, I''m sure he''d make a great number 2.

Pardews'' record is quite handy, but has he lost it, or have the board at Charlton ?

TeamNatFromToRecord
GWLDWin %
ReadingFlag of England18 March 199825 March 1998101000.00
ReadingFlag of England13 October 199910 September 2003212102575348.11
West Ham UnitedFlag of England20 October 200311 December 200616367583841.10
Charlton AthleticFlag of England24 December 200622 November 20088928352631.46
Total46319714512342.54

As much as i deteste the bloke (although he himself admits he''s calmed down since he''s got old) you have to admire what a good job he has done in this league both at bramall lane and selhurst.There''s no doubting that if he was put in charge tommorow he would get us out of this mess, yes perhaps it wouldn''t be arsene wenger football but in my view ''winning football'' comes first, ''pretty winning football'' then follows

[quote user="blahblahblah"]

Grants his number 2 now I believe - I wonder if West Brom would do us a favour and sack him - then maybe we could pick them up.  If the players could get over having Grant back as a coach, I''m sure he''d make a great number 2.

Pardews'' record is quite handy, but has he lost it, or have the board at Charlton ?

TeamNatFromToRecord
GWLDWin %
ReadingFlag of England18 March 199825 March 1998101000.00
ReadingFlag of England13 October 199910 September 2003212102575348.11
West Ham UnitedFlag of England20 October 200311 December 200616367583841.10
Charlton AthleticFlag of England24 December 200622 November 20088928352631.46
Total46319714512342.54

[/quote]

Grant was a decent coach before coming here.  I didn''t think he would be right for the job as manager and he wasn''t.  Perhaps being a No 2 is his vocation but he certainly wouldn''t come back for a few years at least (perhaps when we get Mowbray in about 5 seasons!).

Pardew?  Strange one.  Looked great and then (I thought) was a bit unfairly treated at West Ham.  His stock has really dropped at Charlton and even with their problems, I think its too risky to consider him.  Must have taken its toll cause he seems to have aged quite a lot recently.

Bit left-field perhaps but Hoddle is in that list. I know he might not be that popular amongst some of the fans and not even sure whether he wants to get back into football but he does fit the criteria of being experienced, available and having good contacts (he knows Wenger better than GR does !!).

On top of all that, I suspect he would give a good interview, and the icing on the cake is we can all remember his tenure as the England manager.

Mark .Y.

[quote user="Mark .Y."]

Bit left-field perhaps but Hoddle is in that list. I know he might not be that popular amongst some of the fans and not even sure whether he wants to get back into football but he does fit the criteria of being experienced, available and having good contacts (he knows Wenger better than GR does !!).

On top of all that, I suspect he would give a good interview, and the icing on the cake is we can all remember his tenure as the England manager.

Mark .Y.

[/quote]

Two problems with Glenn Hoddle.  He''s been out of the loop for a bit and it has been some time since he achieved any relative success - his early career was really promising, but it seems to have fizzled out.  The other is that he seems to leave negative vibes in the same way Roeder has done.  I''ve very rarely heard anyone who has played under him who has had a good word to say.  The opinion that keeps cropping up is that he thought anyone who didn''t match his playing standards was beneath him and tended to alienate his staff in the same way that GR appears to have done.

So in short, no!

What type of manager would I like to see?

Well the most successful managers for us in recent years (ie champs) are young driven ambitious managers recruited from a lower league club;  not failures from the prem used to money nor untried coaches (so few make the jump to managing)  

Robins is slowly becoming mypreferred candidate from a list that is far from perfect 

Robins could be great for us, but with zero championship experience, it worries me that he will have to learn the level on the job.  Most of the managers on that list had success after a couple of seasons learning the ropes I''d argue, and that''s why I''d take Boothroyd over Robins.  I''m fairly certain that either of them would keep us up though, as I think we have an under-performing mid-table squad, as opposed to a relegation material one.

I like the idea of your list, but Keane is on there when he can only cope when he has huge amaounts of money and complete control.One man not on the list, who I thin k is the most underrated in the league is Dave Jones, for a club which sells (like we do but much more) he has performed wonders and continues to do so, true they havent got promotion, but when every year you sell a top player like, Chopra, Loovens, Gunter, Ramsey, Cameron Jerome, and the team he has assembled has been done on peanuts.  True they havent won anything, but had he had any money, like he did at Wolves I am sure he would have done amazingly.

Has Dave Jones ever done particularly badly anywhere?  Seems to have been pretty successful everywhere to my knowledge.  Got Stockport promoted, kept Saints in the Prem, the only boss in recent memory to get Wolves in the Prem and has done wonders at Cardiff who always seem completely skint.

Would have been a good call if available.  Ironically, I (and many others) wanted him here when Worthy took over, yet Nigel almost beat him to the Prem first.