Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

So has Worthy got anything up his sleeve?

Besides his arm of course!

Now that it''s looking more and more likely that we''ve missed out on Primus, the question is: Who to go for instead? I''d be surprised if we dropped our interest in a defender altogether, as Worthy obviously thinks its a very important position which has a gap. His efforts to sign Primus show this.

I''m hoping Worthy hasn''t put all his eggs in one basket on the Primus front. I doubt he will have done as he''s an excellent manager.

I''d like us to look to Chelsea. Now that they''ve splashed out another £20M on another defender, have they got anyone we could poach, even for a loan? Huth is the obvious candidate. Anyone else?

Also seems to be slight discontent at Southampton. Not sure if Sturrock is looking to cut the wage bill but Hall, Prutton and Kents have all been linked with moves away in the past few weeks.

Who knows!

You read my mind, DD. I was just wondering where we''d go if the Primus deal falls through. What worries me at the moment is that I''m not hearing us being linked with anyone else. Given that Worthy has said he hoped for two or three new faces before the season started, I expected to hear about some other players being linked, at least. But it seems all we''re doing at the moment is twiddling our thumbs, waiting for Primus to make up his mind. Now of course I know this is almost certainly not the case and I''m sure Worthy is trying to bring in a striker and one other, but nothing appears to be happening. I''m just hoping he surprises us with another signing out of the blue.

As for defenders, maybe it''s time we started to look elsewhere - maybe a raid on Southampton would be good! "One size" Fitz Hall is a reasonable player, but I suspect Prutton will probably feature a bit more for them this season, and I reckon the same could be said for Kenton, given his good form at the end of last season.

Good points DD. I''m sure he had other targets identified and either has been or will now make moves for them. I doubt we''d get another loan (we can only have 2 loans at any one time, and you can only loan for a year players under 24) with Bentley already here for a year.

I''d have Kents back - you can''t blame him for making the move he did, it really didn''t look like we were going up any time soon at that stage. Mind you, I''m not sure he has the work ethic Worthy looks for...!

i agree "turn to the other side....."
it does seem to follow a kind of patten!
Good points there DD

Given the protracted nature of the Primus saga NW must have come up with a contingency short list of other defenders to look at in case Linvoy decided not to come.

The reason why we havent been linked with other players since Scowcroft is maybe due to the financial constraints on our transfer policy. In other words, we need to have an outcome on Primus'' transfer before we know what kinds of funds are available to pursue other players.
eg: the 750k fee for Primus can be shifted onto our next target if that deal falls through but if Primus goes ahead we would require extra funds for additional purchases. The finances to bring in new blood maybe so minimal that day-to-day decisions on extra funding must be
made.

Conjecture, I know, but fairly close to the bone too, I think.

Good point Turn. If we look at last summers examples, we shouldn''t be too worried. Worthy must have other irons in the fire. Got to agree with Ama as well. I know his name keeps cropping up, but I''d welcome Kents back anyday

Tacklebury - "nothing appears to be happening". Isn''t that usually the case with Worthy? Would you prefer that he revealed his ongoing negotiations or enquiries with us (and thereby also with other managers like Megson!!)?

Much as we hate it, we are better off being mushrooms.

Very true Ama, I guess I''m just getting a bit anxious. The Helveg signing proved to me that we could really attract some quality to this club, so I suppose I''d suddenly got a bit carried away, expecting more faces and expecting them quickly!

Worthington is already in for another defender and another striker ... apparently NOT Scowcroft. One hopes that the names of these players are not leaked and the deals are concluded swiftly.

I would like to see soe move for a right sided midfielder too - henderson as cover for bentley sounds a bit risky to me.