Sign in to follow this  
gazzathegreat

The day we got our club back

What a week, as bizarre as some of of the happenings at Carrow Road have been over the past few years, I don’t think many of us could have written the script for this past week.

Today, though we got our club back. It was different from the start. People were smiling. Most that I knew had said they were actually looking forward to going to the game. After Tuesday night we had all taken enough pain, frustration and frankly just as much as we could have been expected to take from the former manager (hey, it’s great to write that, truly!).

Bryan Gunn may only be in charge for one game, but he took it seriously enough and gave the team their freedom. They were transformed. I don’t think I have witnessed such a rapid turn around. Tuesday night to this afternoon? Different world, different planet, the real world right enough.

Barnsley were no world beaters, but they stuck at their task for the first half at least, making it difficult for us. Our boys looked nervous, understandably. But the crowd were behind them, positive encouragement and singing. No boos, no calls for the manager to go. As I said, a different world.

Croft stole the show for me in the first half, though the emerging Wes Hoolahan pushed him very close. Doc was as dependable as ever, and Cureton was looking for every opportunity. A revitalised Fotheringham (the man who did make some passes ahead of himself today) was showing some gumption, some stalwart tackling in midfield along with some encouragement for his team mates.

Second half and the team went on to boss the match. Wes scored his first goal and it was great to see someone who was bought in for a role finally be allowed to get on with it. His passing was at times sublime, his energy and enthusiasm infectious. I would have paid to watch him alone. Well done Wes, more of the same please. Crofty was producing some telling runs and the team just went up a gear, roared on by the crowd. Goal two for Jamie Cureton. Such irony.....such delight. We even managed the rare feat of being awarded a penalty rather than conceding one. A fantastic penalty from Sammy Clingan. Goal four, at the end by Rusty just added further to the jubilant scenes. Halfway between goals two and three I stood there thinking, yes, this is actually happening, we have our club back, released from months of dire games, bitter soundbites and a hopeless path into the depths of the bottom of the table.

Is our club in recovery at last, can we go on from this and save ourselves? Signs today were positive and promising. We can all speculate on why the team were so different today. Tuesday was truly dire and the resulting sacking of the manager the only option.

We have our club back boys and girls. Relief all round. Happy day today and hope for tomorrow. Yes, nagging doubts that the board will appoint someone who can take this club on and progress, take this team on and get the best out of them, and of course take us lot on and do the right thing by us. We don’t care for those who bully and insult. We like humility, we like those with heart and dignity. Those who care for the club and all it stands for, past and present. Make the right choice please Directors. We don’t want another Roeder.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]What a week, as bizarre as some of of the happenings at Carrow Road have been over the past few years, I don’t think many of us could have written the script for this past week. Today, though we got our club back. It was different from the start. People were smiling. Most that I knew had said they were actually looking forward to going to the game. After Tuesday night we had all taken enough pain, frustration and frankly just as much as we could have been expected to take from the former manager (hey, it’s great to write that, truly!). Bryan Gunn may only be in charge for one game, but he took it seriously enough and gave the team their freedom. They were transformed. I don’t think I have witnessed such a rapid turn around. Tuesday night to this afternoon? Different world, different planet, the real world right enough. Barnsley were no world beaters, but they stuck at their task for the first half at least, making it difficult for us. Our boys looked nervous, understandably. But the crowd were behind them, positive encouragement and singing. No boos, no calls for the manager to go. As I said, a different world. Croft stole the show for me in the first half, though the emerging Wes Hoolahan pushed him very close. Doc was as dependable as ever, and Cureton was looking for every opportunity. A revitalised Fotheringham (the man who did make some passes ahead of himself today) was showing some gumption, some stalwart tackling in midfield along with some encouragement for his team mates. Second half and the team went on to boss the match. Wes scored his first goal and it was great to see someone who was bought in for a role finally be allowed to get on with it. His passing was at times sublime, his energy and enthusiasm infectious. I would have paid to watch him alone. Well done Wes, more of the same please. Crofty was producing some telling runs and the team just went up a gear, roared on by the crowd. Goal two for Jamie Cureton. Such irony.....such delight. We even managed the rare feat of being awarded a penalty rather than conceding one. A fantastic penalty from Sammy Clingan. Goal four, at the end by Rusty just added further to the jubilant scenes. Halfway between goals two and three I stood there thinking, yes, this is actually happening, we have our club back, released from months of dire games, bitter soundbites and a hopeless path into the depths of the bottom of the table. Is our club in recovery at last, can we go on from this and save ourselves? Signs today were positive and promising. We can all speculate on why the team were so different today. Tuesday was truly dire and the resulting sacking of the manager the only option. We have our club back boys and girls. Relief all round. Happy day today and hope for tomorrow. Yes, nagging doubts that the board will appoint someone who can take this club on and progress, take this team on and get the best out of them, and of course take us lot on and do the right thing by us. We don’t care for those who bully and insult. We like humility, we like those with heart and dignity. Those who care for the club and all it stands for, past and present. Make the right choice please Directors. We don’t want another Roeder.[/quote]Yes we definitely got our club back today, all around me people were commenting on how relieved they felt at the departure of the arrogant one. That was before the match started as well.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]What a week, as bizarre as some of of the happenings at Carrow Road have been over the past few years, I don’t think many of us could have written the script for this past week. Today, though we got our club back. It was different from the start. People were smiling. Most that I knew had said they were actually looking forward to going to the game. After Tuesday night we had all taken enough pain, frustration and frankly just as much as we could have been expected to take from the former manager (hey, it’s great to write that, truly!). Bryan Gunn may only be in charge for one game, but he took it seriously enough and gave the team their freedom. They were transformed. I don’t think I have witnessed such a rapid turn around. Tuesday night to this afternoon? Different world, different planet, the real world right enough. Barnsley were no world beaters, but they stuck at their task for the first half at least, making it difficult for us. Our boys looked nervous, understandably. But the crowd were behind them, positive encouragement and singing. No boos, no calls for the manager to go. As I said, a different world. Croft stole the show for me in the first half, though the emerging Wes Hoolahan pushed him very close. Doc was as dependable as ever, and Cureton was looking for every opportunity. A revitalised Fotheringham (the man who did make some passes ahead of himself today) was showing some gumption, some stalwart tackling in midfield along with some encouragement for his team mates. Second half and the team went on to boss the match. Wes scored his first goal and it was great to see someone who was bought in for a role finally be allowed to get on with it. His passing was at times sublime, his energy and enthusiasm infectious. I would have paid to watch him alone. Well done Wes, more of the same please. Crofty was producing some telling runs and the team just went up a gear, roared on by the crowd. Goal two for Jamie Cureton. Such irony.....such delight. We even managed the rare feat of being awarded a penalty rather than conceding one. A fantastic penalty from Sammy Clingan. Goal four, at the end by Rusty just added further to the jubilant scenes. Halfway between goals two and three I stood there thinking, yes, this is actually happening, we have our club back, released from months of dire games, bitter soundbites and a hopeless path into the depths of the bottom of the table. Is our club in recovery at last, can we go on from this and save ourselves? Signs today were positive and promising. We can all speculate on why the team were so different today. Tuesday was truly dire and the resulting sacking of the manager the only option. We have our club back boys and girls. Relief all round. Happy day today and hope for tomorrow. Yes, nagging doubts that the board will appoint someone who can take this club on and progress, take this team on and get the best out of them, and of course take us lot on and do the right thing by us. We don’t care for those who bully and insult. We like humility, we like those with heart and dignity. Those who care for the club and all it stands for, past and present. Make the right choice please Directors. We don’t want another Roeder.[/quote]felt like our club again...24,000 happy faces....1st time in ages i was looking forward to going to CR...totally different atmosphere,totally different palyers...bloody awesome day

And having someone in charge who was a big part of this club before the Smith & Jones era, was a contributory factor for me.  

Gunny reminded us of what our club used to be, ought to be and could be again.  A club with pride that punches its weight.

Gunny isn''t bigger than the club but he''s bigger than Smith & Jones.  He eclipsed them today. 

Everything was perfect for me today- everyone was smiling and happy and wes scores [:O]

The only thing that could have improved the day was Hucks playing but I guess we''ll have to wait and see...

Think the 59ers added to it as well.  The reception they got, especially from the Barclay and Snakepit was quite touching.

good post but we havent got our club back have we? we won 1 game against a team that fell apart in teh 2nd half.. the board are still here and you just know they will seriously consider Gunny on the strength of today alone and the fans chanting his name....

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

good post but we havent got our club back have we? we won 1 game against a team that fell apart in teh 2nd half.. the board are still here and you just know they will seriously consider Gunny on the strength of today alone and the fans chanting his name....

[/quote]I THINK WHAT PEOPLE MEAN IS THEY ARE HAPPY ROEDANTS GONE

CR WAS A MUCH BETTER PLACE FOR IT

Great OP but also well done Potless, you made a great point re Gunny being at the club before Delia and MWJ. It is obvious but stupidly I hadn''t thought of it

[quote user="Potless Percy "]

And having someone in charge who was a big part of this club before the Smith & Jones era, was a contributory factor for me.  

Gunny reminded us of what our club used to be, ought to be and could be again.  A club with pride that punches its weight.

Gunny isn''t bigger than the club but he''s bigger than Smith & Jones.  He eclipsed them today. 

[/quote]

Give it a rest for a day or two Percy and let everyone enjoy themselves.

Yes quite agree Gazza it was the day we got our club back and what a day we''ve all had today

This was my day

Where do I start on the day I’ve had today??

Didn’t sleep  at all last night as I was a mixture of nerves and excitement so was still up at 1am and woke up feeling tired at 8am wondering how best to kill 5 hours before I left to go to the match.

Decided in the end to brave the rain and burn off some calories walking in beautiful Cromer and gazing at the sea which brought a smile to my face and set me up for the day ahead

Had a chat with a couple of close friends on the phone and then off to the game I went.

Heard the team news in the car and was highly delighted that Jamie was starting, had posted on the site last night that I felt he would score so was pleased he’d have the chance.

Took my seat at 2.30pm, early for me, but wanted to hear the club’s tribute to our dear friend Arrdee,  which I did and that brought a tear to my eyes and I''m sure it did others.

Ground was filling up really quickly, think all remaining tickets were sold after Roeder was sacked, surprise, surprise.

Game kicked off and the noise was deafening, I knew the fans would raise the roof for this one and I wasn’t wrong. Gunny looking all smart in his suit looked so proud standing on the touchline, I sat there thinking please don’t let us lose this one, he deserved a win and so did we.

I was so happy to see us playing football again and passing the ball around, as the game went on the confidence grew and the fear factor that we had seen before just wasn’t there. Hooahan had a free role which he revelled in, Jamie just looked please to be back, Croft ran his heart out and Doc well what can you say he was a rock at the back. Every player played with grit and determination, they played with passion and they were desperate to win.

Best chants of the day

Are you watching Glen Roeder
He''s got no hair, but we don''t care, Bryan Bryan Gunn
Bryan Bryan , whats the score?
Jamie''s home, Jamie''s home, Jamie''s come back home
Can we sack you every week, can we sack you every week.

4 goals and none conceded, happy faces at Carrow Road, 3 much needed points but the most important thing today was

WE GOT OUR CLUB BACK TODAY AND THERE’S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE

[quote user="cityangel"]

Yes quite agree Gazza it was the day we got our club back and what a day we''ve all had today

This was my day

Where do I start on the day I’ve had today??Didn’t sleep  at all last night as I was a mixture of nerves and excitement so was still up at 1am and woke up feeling tired at 8am wondering how best to kill 5 hours before I left to go to the match.Decided in the end to brave the rain and burn off some calories walking in beautiful Cromer and gazing at the sea which brought a smile to my face and set me up for the day aheadHad a chat with a couple of close friends on the phone and then off to the game I went.Heard the team news in the car and was highly delighted that Jamie was starting, had posted on the site last night that I felt he would score so was pleased he’d have the chance.Took my seat at 2.30pm, early for me, but wanted to hear the club’s tribute to our dear friend Arrdee,  which I did and that brought a tear to my eyes and I''m sure it did others.Ground was filling up really quickly, think all remaining tickets were sold after Roeder was sacked, surprise, surprise.Game kicked off and the noise was deafening, I knew the fans would raise the roof for this one and I wasn’t wrong. Gunny looking all smart in his suit looked so proud standing on the touchline, I sat there thinking please don’t let us lose this one, he deserved a win and so did we.I was so happy to see us playing football again and passing the ball around, as the game went on the confidence grew and the fear factor that we had seen before just wasn’t there. Hooahan had a free role which he revelled in, Jamie just looked please to be back, Croft ran his heart out and Doc well what can you say he was a rock at the back. Every player played with grit and determination, they played with passion and they were desperate to win.Best chants of the dayAre you watching Glen RoederHe''s got no hair, but we don''t care, Bryan Bryan GunnBryan Bryan , whats the score?Jamie''s home, Jamie''s home, Jamie''s come back homeCan we sack you every week, can we sack you every week.4 goals and none conceded, happy faces at Carrow Road, 3 much needed points but the most important thing today wasWE GOT OUR CLUB BACK TODAY AND THERE’S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE

[/quote]A beautiful description of what sounded like a perfect day Angel! If the infinite others cared as much as you do, then we would definately be living in a perfect world! [:D][Y][:D]

Jas, if you couldn''t feel the difference today then I am sorry for you. Sure the board are still here and probably will be for a while yet, but if they give us another year the likes of which we have just had to suffer (that is a manager who has torn the club we love apart), then they will be gone as well. That means the club, the board and us into the oblivion of League One.

I don''t think that even the board are THAT naive in thinking one win solves all problems (whether that means an appointment as manager or us being safe from the drop) but if you can''t be happy after a 4-0 win, the crowd united and a feel good factor at Carrow Road - a feeling which has been missing since good knows, when then I feel sorry for you.

Potless - great point, it was surreal enough to see Bryan Gunn standing by the dug out - he had the team playing better after one match than Roeder managed in one whole year. Gunny may not be a long term prospect, but he did well enough today.

[quote user="cityangel"]

This was my day

Where do I start on the day I’ve had today??Didn’t sleep  at all last night as I was a mixture of nerves and excitement so was still up at 1am and woke up feeling tired at 8am wondering how best to kill 5 hours before I left to go to the match.Decided in the end to brave the rain and burn off some calories walking in beautiful Cromer and gazing at the sea which brought a smile to my face and set me up for the day aheadHad a chat with a couple of close friends on the phone and then off to the game I went.Heard the team news in the car and was highly delighted that Jamie was starting, had posted on the site last night that I felt he would score so was pleased he’d have the chance.Took my seat at 2.30pm, early for me, but wanted to hear the club’s tribute to our dear friend Arrdee,  which I did and that brought a tear to my eyes and I''m sure it did others.Ground was filling up really quickly, think all remaining tickets were sold after Roeder was sacked, surprise, surprise.Game kicked off and the noise was deafening, I knew the fans would raise the roof for this one and I wasn’t wrong. Gunny looking all smart in his suit looked so proud standing on the touchline, I sat there thinking please don’t let us lose this one, he deserved a win and so did we.I was so happy to see us playing football again and passing the ball around, as the game went on the confidence grew and the fear factor that we had seen before just wasn’t there. Hooahan had a free role which he revelled in, Jamie just looked please to be back, Croft ran his heart out and Doc well what can you say he was a rock at the back. Every player played with grit and determination, they played with passion and they were desperate to win.Best chants of the dayAre you watching Glen RoederHe''s got no hair, but we don''t care, Bryan Bryan GunnBryan Bryan , whats the score?Jamie''s home, Jamie''s home, Jamie''s come back homeCan we sack you every week, can we sack you every week.4 goals and none conceded, happy faces at Carrow Road, 3 much needed points but the most important thing today wasWE GOT OUR CLUB BACK TODAY AND THERE’S HOPE FOR THE FUTURE

[/quote]

Found this video on youtube : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyQWh-oHwaAWish i had been at the match today, you guys made a lot of nois today :DOTBC

Gunn has don ewell in one game... but if he does well in the next and we win then i cannot see why he isn''t a serious contender. so many people go on about wanting ian crook to return etc... but he''s been out of the english game for years... no contacts... gunn knows the club, has the support of the players staff and board... and us... i would much rather gunny than many options out there... include the likes of ince keane and jewell in this category. why not bring in someone along side him who knows the game? dare i say it... Bruce Rioch... as an assistant as it were... lives locally, knows the fans, has been there and done it... knows gunny... clearly supports norwich (he''s at the games most the time)If gunn''s ''luck'' continues then i am all for him as manager... we need a hero to support... perhaps getting gunn in on the side lines is a good start...  

It felt like first half they were still scared of making a mistake, I guess they were expecting the usual roasting at half time, it never came, suddenly they had license to play properly and it seemed like a pressure cap being released, suddenly they could ply their trade, do their jobs without fear, and boy did it show! couldnt buy a goal a short time ago, now 4 different players on the scoresheet! Man, does it feel good to have our club back! I felt like a teen again chanting gunnys name, mind drifting back to those glory years and seeing it start to happen on the pitch..... 1 game does not make a season, someone else is going to come in to manage, it''s still not going to be perfect but this day I shall wear my shirt with pride

That was easily the most fun i''ve had at Carrow Road in a long time, my season ticket in the block E of the barcley started today and the guys around me were really great, got alot of chants going and while i''ve always sat in the barcley when i''ve gone to games today there really was a much more positive attitude around the ground, even before we scored.

I think alot of credit needs to go to Gunny... 0-0 at half time then 4-0 come the 90 mins, must have been some team talk he gave.

Fantastic day and hopefully wether it be under Bryan or someone else this is us kickstarting our season and will secure survival, anything else would be a cheeky bonus.

The point is, we had a team on the field (other than Fotheringham, who turned out to be good enough this time, and no 2nd striker) that made sense.  That is WAY better than the oddball lineups Roeder had been selecting, and on top of that, allowing the midfielders and defenders to do what they do best (rather than demanding they adjust to something they are not good at) left us WIDE OPEN for the kind of success we met today.

I have said before, we don''t need to rebuild from the ground up, we need to use what we have and builf from there.  Gunn seems to have done that today, but let''s see what he comes up with on Tuesday! Hopefully he will let things go as they went today, but his pre-game speech will get the players more confident so we can win huge again. 

It''s too late now, but Nigel Worthington''s 1st season (I think) we went from the dregs to the playoffs in 1/2 a season.  It''s likely too late for that now, but a serious advancement up the table may make us prime for serious consideration for top 6 or better next year.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

Give it a rest, It was a fantastic day and yes we have our club back!

It reminded me of the scene in Lord of the Rings when Wormtongue is banished from the kingdom and the old King wakes from his torpor and returns to life.Tortuous metaphor? Me?

[quote user="YankeeCanary"][quote user="Potless Percy "]

[/quote]

Give it a rest for a day or two Percy and let everyone enjoy themselves.

[/quote]

Why don''t you give it a rest?[:|]....You just can''t, can you.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Jas, if you couldn''t feel the difference today then I am sorry for you. Sure the board are still here and probably will be for a while yet, but if they give us another year the likes of which we have just had to suffer (that is a manager who has torn the club we love apart), then they will be gone as well. That means the club, the board and us into the oblivion of League One. I don''t think that even the board are THAT naive in thinking one win solves all problems (whether that means an appointment as manager or us being safe from the drop) but if you can''t be happy after a 4-0 win, the crowd united and a feel good factor at Carrow Road - a feeling which has been missing since good knows, when then I feel sorry for you. Potless - great point, it was surreal enough to see Bryan Gunn standing by the dug out - he had the team playing better after one match than Roeder managed in one whole year. Gunny may not be a long term prospect, but he did well enough today.[/quote]

i was deligthed with the performance and the result.. just disagreed to some extent we have our club back... i dont trust the board one bit and if they get it wrong then we are burgered to be totally honest.... but as for the match yesterday.. simply brilliant! :D

I don''t much trust them either Jas, but they did the deed when most of us didn''t expect them to, so I have to say that was a point in their favour. However appointing a competent manager this time and trusting him to suit the exacting policy of understanding NCFC really does whittle down the candidates. Given also our lack of money, they probably have a very short list to work from. I do think though that the sight of those empty seats on Tuesday night must just have woken them from their slumbers. Heads out of the sand at last? Time will tell.

But we do have our club back, happy faces, although no doubt there will be some who think we should have kept Roeder. Free and flowing football played by a team who were unrecognisable from those that played Tuesday night. Almost the same team, bar a few changes in midfield and Jamie back.