Sign in to follow this  
Mister Chops

Ooh look, some managerial integrity

Southgate, whose side are only out of the relegation zone on goal

difference, said: "If Steve thinks there needs to be change, he will

make a change.

"I could have no complaints if he did based on the results we have had."What''s this?  A manager admitting he''s not cutting the managerial mustard and that he''d understand if the axe was wielded?  Refreshing change, that one.  I was not a fan of Southgate the player and think (to be kind) he was "poorly advised" over cashing in on his penalty miss with those Pizza Hut adverts, but this seems remarkably decent at a time when most managers (including a recent one of ours) would take a wholly oppositional line.On a related note, what is the point in Middlesborough FC?And Sunderland''s background when interviews happen is SAFC.  What''s the "A" for?

Chops, I am a huge fan of Southgate, he''s managing an unfashionable team, though doubtless their fans have high expectations, luckily for him, his Chairman believes in him and is probably one of the best in the Prem. He seems remarkably likeable with not too much hint of an oversized ego. I can''t see the Chairman getting rid of him to be honest.

It''s Sunderland Association FC, for some reason, some of my relatives are from that area, it''s a bit of a history lesson no doubt and don''t have all the details.....

Southgate is one of those characters who I look to for some balance and humility these days. The game used to be full of people who would share the frustration of the fans without diverting blame or making career based cagey comments. I''m sorry he''s having a bad run at the moment, I''ve been impressed with the quietly effective ruddering of Boro since he took over, and I recall fearing for him at the time.

PS those who like him should read Woody and Nord by Southgate and Any Woodman. Best mates at youth players - separated professionally, it''s a joint auto biog which spans the game from top to toe. Proper footy gents the pair of them.

Its nice to see a manager not blaming the officials for once like everybody else does.  He''ll probably suffer for it in the long term.

You are right that AFC stands for Association Football Club. What we call football was known as Association Football to distinguish it from Rugby Football. Hence Football Association as the ruling body in this country.

[quote user="crafty canary"]You are right that AFC stands for Association Football Club. What we call football was known as Association Football to distinguish it from Rugby Football. Hence Football Association as the ruling body in this country.[/quote]And where the term "Soccer" comes from.

I''ve always liked Southgate''s managerial style, he''s honest and open about things and always admits when he''s perhaps not done as well as he should have. Seems like a top bloke.

I liked Southgate as a player as well as the manager he is now. He was a no-nonsence player, he may not have had the technical ability that people keep saying Rio Ferdinand has but he read the game well and did all of the basics very very well. As a player he never rose above his station and kept his head down and worked hard.As a manager he seems the same. If they play badly he admits it and even conceeds that they could have lost by more etc. He is very honest and even seems to display some emotions quite openly, he almost seems depressed when they lose a game.

I was dreading them getting rid of him after y''dy, in case he came to us, but thinking about it, i''d actually quite like him here tbh, not gonna happen even if he does get the chop tho.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

Southgate, whose side are only out of the relegation zone on goal difference, said: "If Steve thinks there needs to be change, he will make a change.

"I could have no complaints if he did based on the results we have had."

What''s this?  A manager admitting he''s not cutting the managerial mustard and that he''d understand if the axe was wielded?  Refreshing change, that one.  I was not a fan of Southgate the player and think (to be kind) he was "poorly advised" over cashing in on his penalty miss with those Pizza Hut adverts, but this seems remarkably decent at a time when most managers (including a recent one of ours) would take a wholly oppositional line.

On a related note, what is the point in Middlesborough FC?
And Sunderland''s background when interviews happen is SAFC.  What''s the "A" for?
[/quote]

Mmmm......... he''s not resigning and walking away from a lucrative severance package though, is he ? I suppose integrity and honesty have their ultimate price !

Southgate is an intelligent and classy person who has always seemed a bit out of place in professional football where most interviews contain at least ten "you know"s.

Not sure about his managerial ability, but no doubts about his honesty.