Sign in to follow this  
ricardo

Ricardo's Report v Barnsley

Well folks the trick of sacking the manager paid it''s usual dividends with this well deserved and vital 3 points. I thought they looked a bit nervy in the first half and a lot of passes were going astray but they certainly managed to cut out the silly mistakes at the back they have left us chasing the game in recent weeks. I think Gunny approached the game perfectly and we looked much more solid throughout.

The second half was much better as City started to find space on both wings and Hoolahan really started to show what a handfull he can be when on form. His goal was nicely set up by Rusty but my heart was in my mouth when he seemed to take it too wide but he was calm enough to slot it in from a narrow angle. Jamies goal settled the issue and was down to his persistance in chasing what looked like being a lost cause. As the game opened up it was obvious that more goals would come and Sammy made no mistake with his penalty. Rustys late header was the icing on the cake.

The most important thing that came out of the game I thought was the way Gunny withdrew Wes, Jamie and Crofty. The standing ovations were just what they needed to restore their fragile confidence. It was something you could never imagine GR doing but it was a masterstroke in my opinion. Is the the fresh start that we need? maybe it''s the turning point of the season. I fervantly hope so.

Finally a word about the 59 ers parade round the ground at half time. Wonderful to see Roy McCrohan doing his nifty footwork and great to see that fabulous player Jimmy Hill looking so well. Old Ardee would have loved it, I certainly did.

Thanks Ricardo. Sitting down here on the South Coast, as ever, I was waiting for your report. What was the attendance ?

[quote user="Old Snoorty"]Thanks Ricardo. Sitting down here on the South Coast, as ever, I was waiting for your report. What was the attendance ?[/quote]

24,500 plus.

The crowd were in good voice today and I think the boys responded well.

It makes such a difference when you score the first goal rather than have to chase the game. Thats where Gunny got it spot on by keeping it tight early on.

We were basically overrun in the first half, but even then the big difference for me was that Otsemobor, Bertrand and Fotheringham, who massively under-achieved under Roeder, tried 100% harder. And about bloody time. Other than that, we looked nervous and toothless, with Neither Cureton nor Russell getting into good positions. In the second half, and particularly after the first goal, we started to gain in confidence, and got better and better through to the end. It''s amazing what difference having a working pair of full-backs and two committed central midfielders makes to the performance of a team. Well it''s not amazing, but it''s taken a long while to get it together.And Lupoli''s cameo was great.

Let''shope Gunn has the sense to pat the fellas on the back for a job well done, rather than trying to find ways to play even better because that wasn''t good enough.

As ever I find myself agreeing with you Ricardo. The first half was pretty much the usual fare at Carrow Road this season. A lot of huffing and puffing and little end product - it felt like we had most of the ball but they created the only real chances of the half. The second half was very good indeed, we had a nervy 5/10 minutes before the 2nd goal when I was beginning to feel that we should have made a substitution to freshen things up (either Cort or Lupoli for Curo?) but once the 2nd goal went in they completely fell apart.

Also interesting to note that the Barnsley fans gave their team some serious stick at the end of the game (and rightly too). It was good to see an opposition team throw in the towell for once after seeing it happen to us on so many occasions.

Ricardo, I would have enjoyed seeing the old-timers there today. I meant to mention to you that it was interesting listening to Terry Allcock being interviewed on Radio Norfolk. At one point they were asking his opinion about the possible transfer of Kaka and the money involved. His opinion was like most others....that it''s crazy and the balloon will eventually burst. When Terry was asked to comment what the wages were like in his time he said that, while we had some quality players at Norwich, there was no real incentive to leave because of the salary cap. The interviewer asked if Terry minded revealing what he was making at the time. He replied that it was between 15 and 20 quid with a 2 pound bonus if they won the match. The interviewer, taken aback, asked if that was that also the case when we beat Manchester United in 59. Terry said yes, it didn''t matter who we beat, the bonus was still 2 quid. Happy days.

[quote user="ricardo"]

Finally a word about the 59 ers parade round the ground at half time. Wonderful to see Roy McCrohan doing his nifty footwork and great to see that fabulous player Jimmy Hill looking so well. Old Ardee would have loved it, I certainly did.

[/quote]

Not sure if it was McCrohan, but one of the 59ers was doing a ''shuffle'' as he walked the past the City Stand, tried to climb over the advertising hoarding and promptly fell flat on his backside!

He wasn''t hurt thankfully and laughed it off with the crowd.  Think he felt a bit sheepish though!  [:$]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Ricardo, I would have enjoyed seeing the old-timers there today. I meant to mention to you that it was interesting listening to Terry Allcock being interviewed on Radio Norfolk. At one point they were asking his opinion about the possible transfer of Kaka and the money involved. His opinion was like most others....that it''s crazy and the balloon will eventually burst. When Terry was asked to comment what the wages were like in his time he said that, while we had some quality players at Norwich, there was no real incentive to leave because of the salary cap. The interviewer asked if Terry minded revealing what he was making at the time. He replied that it was between 15 and 20 quid with a 2 pound bonus if they won the match. The interviewer, taken aback, asked if that was that also the case when we beat Manchester United in 59. Terry said yes, it didn''t matter who we beat, the bonus was still 2 quid. Happy days.[/quote]

Thats right Yankee, it was about twice the average wage at the time which would put it at around a thousand quid a week in todays money. It shows how much inflation we''ve had in fifty years and it shows how top players wages have ballooned out of all proportion thanks to TV money.

I''m all for the top performers getting star wages but when you''re talking about £100k + a week it starts to get ridiculous. None of this will survive the present economic downturn in my opinion. The next TV deal will make a few of our Prem players cry when they come to negotiate a new contract.

I can report that Terry Allcock and Sandy Kennon got a huge cheer when they walked on at half time. It sent a shiver up my spine to think I saw Terry''s debut against Millwall in March of 1958.

[quote user="ricardo"]

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Ricardo, I would have enjoyed seeing the old-timers there today. I meant to mention to you that it was interesting listening to Terry Allcock being interviewed on Radio Norfolk. At one point they were asking his opinion about the possible transfer of Kaka and the money involved. His opinion was like most others....that it''s crazy and the balloon will eventually burst. When Terry was asked to comment what the wages were like in his time he said that, while we had some quality players at Norwich, there was no real incentive to leave because of the salary cap. The interviewer asked if Terry minded revealing what he was making at the time. He replied that it was between 15 and 20 quid with a 2 pound bonus if they won the match. The interviewer, taken aback, asked if that was that also the case when we beat Manchester United in 59. Terry said yes, it didn''t matter who we beat, the bonus was still 2 quid. Happy days.[/quote]

Thats right Yankee, it was about twice the average wage at the time which would put it at around a thousand quid a week in todays money. It shows how much inflation we''ve had in fifty years and it shows how top players wages have ballooned out of all proportion thanks to TV money.

I''m all for the top performers getting star wages but when you''re talking about £100k + a week it starts to get ridiculous. None of this will survive the present economic downturn in my opinion. The next TV deal will make a few of our Prem players cry when they come to negotiate a new contract.

I can report that Terry Allcock and Sandy Kennon got a huge cheer when they walked on at half time. It sent a shiver up my spine to think I saw Terry''s debut against Millwall in March of 1958.

[/quote]

I was at that match too Ricardo. That was a critical season for Norwich to ensure that we finished in the top half to avoid going into what would become the fourth division. We succeeded, but I had remembered we got beat heavily twice that season and I just checked....7-3 at Southampton and 7-1 at Brentford. Good job we didn''t have a Pink ''Un message board back then because we would have nailed Archie Macaulay to the cross for those huge defeats, got him fired, and history would have missed a turning point. Mr. Carrow would have had a tough time assessing the financial condition of the club unless he knew, from a distance, how to count coins in a blanket.

Sorry Ricardo, I meant to ask in the last post who the fifth ''59 player was yesterday. I know Terry Allcock, Jimmy Hill, Sandy Kennon and Roy McCrohan were there.  

Also, a little postscript, while checking back on Archie Macaulay, it was noted that after he left football management he became a traffic warden. With regard to the thread asking what questions should be asked of any prospective new applicants for the job, perhaps we should ask if they have had any experience directing traffic. That should throw them off their "pat answer" approach.

[quote user="ricardo"]

The most important thing that came out of the game I thought was the way Gunny withdrew Wes, Jamie and Crofty. The standing ovations were just what they needed to restore their fragile confidence. It was something you could never imagine GR doing but it was a masterstroke in my opinion. Is the the fresh start that we need? maybe it''s the turning point of the season. I fervantly hope so.

[/quote]Ricardo - quite right. The timing, manner and make-up of Gunn''s substitutions were spot on. Fresh legs (eg Pattison) when needed without changing the strength or balance of he play. Shame Lupoli couldn''t see it as a team effort rather than a personal battle to prove though.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]

Sorry Ricardo, I meant to ask in the last post who the fifth ''59 player was yesterday. I know Terry Allcock, Jimmy Hill, Sandy Kennon and Roy McCrohan were there.  

Also, a little postscript, while checking back on Archie Macaulay, it was noted that after he left football management he became a traffic warden. With regard to the thread asking what questions should be asked of any prospective new applicants for the job, perhaps we should ask if they have had any experience directing traffic. That should throw them off their "pat answer" approach.

[/quote]

The other player there was Terry Bly. He has put a bit of weight on since I last saw him.

Barry Butlers widdow, son and grandson were also there along with Kenny Nethercotts daughter and Bryan Thurlows son.

Also in attendance was perennial 12th man Bobby Wilson. 

Bumped into a Barnsley fan on Cromer pier today who didn''t seem to like my Norwuch scarf which was keeping me warm. Ooops [:D]

[quote user="cityangel"]Bumped into a Barnsley fan on Cromer pier today who didn''t seem to like my Norwuch scarf which was keeping me warm. Ooops [:D][/quote]

Are you sure the Barnsley supporter wasn''t considering throwing themself off the pier. I hope you were nice to the person. 

[quote user="cityangel"]Bumped into a Barnsley fan on Cromer pier today who didn''t seem to like my Norwuch scarf which was keeping me warm. Ooops [:D][/quote]

Cause Norfolk is the last place you''d expect to see a Norwich scarf!  What did the Tyke expect? [:D]