Sign in to follow this  
|BA

Why should players need motivating?

This keeps cropping up and obviously its a fact that they do. But why?

If they need motivating, they should be fired.

Yes actually. I''m self employed and as good as my last job. I dont work, I dont eat

v true, in most jobs, you can give 70% or so and get on by well. In football these days, if your teams not working at, say 90%, you will struggle. The whole of the football league has intense fitness levels. Perhaps the likes of George Best, for all the talent they obviously had, might not have even made it proffesionally in the modern game with their attitude off the pitch.

I''ve taken up long-distance running recently (this time last year).  I can say there are some days you can''t wait to get out there and run, and others when you have to drag yourself outside to run.  I can''t see why any form of physical effort is any different... sometimes you need a kick up the @r$e which I get from my running club.  Plus it''s work, which you''re paid for, and who is always 100% up for going to work in the morning?

I find it very hard to believe that there are not some mornings where you wake up and think, "you know what, there''s something else i''d rather do than go to work today". If you do really love your work then good on you! Doubt there are many that do.

I have been a store manager in retail for many years and every member of staff in every store in every company has needed motivation to do their jobs. It just keeps them focused on the job in hand... some need motivating by telling them they are doing a great job and how best to do even better, some by a huge great boot up the backside, the trick is adjusting to each individual, roeder, i believe completly missed the point there and the I hope the new guy really does posses the skills because on yesterdays showing that is exactly what they need!

In an ideal world, footballers shouldn''t need motivating, they should turn up ready for action week in week out regardless of external factors. Sadly we don''t live in an ideal world and footballers are just like the rest of us, they are human. That means they are affected by lack of confidence and sometimes perhaps a decreased motivation. Other things affect how they play - such things as their happiness, the way they''re treated by the management team, how much support they feel they have from both the gaffer and the fans. So, as frustrating as it is, players probably do need motivating sometimes, it''s just a fact of life. The key is getting the right man/men in to do the job - as our wonderful board now find themselves trying to do.

[quote user="IBA"]Yes actually. I''m self employed and as good as my last job. I dont work, I dont eat[/quote]You''ve answered your own question. You are motivated - by the need to live and eat. Players on the other hand are paid far too much and on quite long contracts. It''s guaranteed. What you have to strive hard for they get given in the form of a monthly cheque. So they "turn up" only of inclined or motivated - eg by the desre to please the boss. If you think the boss is going to sneer and put you down what ever you do - why bother trying?

[quote user="Binky"]You''ve answered your own question. You are motivated - by the need to live and eat. Players on the other hand are paid far too much and on quite long contracts. It''s guaranteed. What you have to strive hard for they get given in the form of a monthly cheque.[/quote]

Exactly. Proves my point in another thread that argues more money can equal less incentive. If pay was more performance based maybe they''d turn up every Saturday.I do the only job I''ve ever thought to be better than being a pro footballer. So yes I''m lucky. but HAVING to give 100% is part of the reason its so fantastic. Players dont work in factories or offices.... they play football. What a job. Shouldn''t need motivation

[quote user="IBA"]This keeps cropping up and obviously its a fact that they do. But why? If they need motivating, they should be fired.[/quote]

Because they tend to be lazy, pampered and not particularly bright - and so need the best managers to get them to perform

How would you work a performance based system then?

Both sides can''t win in a game, so even if both sets of 11 give 100%, you could have half of those involved on the losing side.

[quote user="IBA"][quote user="Binky"]You''ve answered your own question. You are motivated - by the need to live and eat. Players on the other hand are paid far too much and on quite long contracts. It''s guaranteed. What you have to strive hard for they get given in the form of a monthly cheque.[/quote]  If pay was more performance based maybe they''d turn up every Saturday.I do the only job I''ve ever thought to be better than being a pro footballer.  Shouldn''t need motivation[/quote]Nice idea. But what would you do if your club badly needed that new striker who is prepared to leave millionaires row in Cheshire and come to sunny Norfolk - but only on the basis of a certain wage and fixed for three years. Say no? When nurses are paid a pittance, you cannot justify £5k a week for a footballer, nevermind £100k. Or for a fat banker either come to that. But that, as they say, is the market. I''ve often thought big money transfers should attract a special tax (a bit like stamp duty on a property sale) with the revenue going to the lower divisions. But I''m sure they''d find a way of avoiding paying it.

The big mistake a lot of people make is thinking that being a football manager is all about tactics, formations etc. They forget that a major part of the job is "man management", just like any other job. A manager (in any walk of life) needs to know what makes his/her workforce tick, which individuals respond better to a boot up the bum, which respond better to a kind word etc etc. Purely my opinion, but I suspect "man management" was not the strongest suit of our former manager.....

[quote user="IBA"]This keeps cropping up and obviously its a fact that they do. But why?

If they need motivating, they should be fired.[/quote]Because their fitness and athletic ability is pretty much a given being professional sportsmen. That means the biggest edge you can gain against your opposition, tactics aside, is by getting them prepared mentally for the contest. Instilling a sense of self belief. Some players naturally have this, so tend to perform well even in a generally bad team performance. I give you exhibit A, one Dion Dublin. However, we all know how rare those players are, so for everyone else it''s a case of getting them thinking right going into a game. This subtle art is one of the most important parts of football management in my opinion.