Sign in to follow this  
lucky green trainers

time to start bell on the right wing???

with crofty and semmy doing their usual ''headless'' chicken double act down the right yesterday - semmy can''t stop the crosses while crofty can''t cross - wouldn''t city be better off with a decent unhurried right back who knows his job, and david bell taking crofty''s right wing berth as first choice???we all know that crofty has improved no end this season, and he''s a trier - make no mistake,,,but without a final third threat, he''s all bluster...bell came on with 10 mins left, and put over an absolute peach of a cross pin point onto rusty''s bonce to angle one in past a flailing keeper,,,top, top stuff...i regret to suggest crofty could try 30 of them and miss a yellow shirt every time...in short,,,as suspected - bell is much happier on the right wing,,,and i for one am happy for the boy to stay there...he gets the nod over crofty every time for me>>>

Very harsh on Crofty. Works really hard and his delivery is improving. Personally Bell isn''t hard working enough and often doesn''t seem to care as much as other players.Bell''s delivery from set pieces started well but over the last month has got a lot worse. I''d rather he got his ankle sorted out.Agree that we need a replacement for Semmy who has been really poor recently. Has all the physical attributes but doesn''t appear to have a brain.

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]with crofty and semmy doing their usual ''headless'' chicken double act down the right yesterday - semmy can''t stop the crosses while crofty can''t cross - wouldn''t city be better off with a decent unhurried right back who knows his job, and david bell taking crofty''s right wing berth as first choice???we all know that crofty has improved no end this season, and he''s a trier - make no mistake,,,but without a final third threat, he''s all bluster...bell came on with 10 mins left, and put over an absolute peach of a cross pin point onto rusty''s bonce to angle one in past a flailing keeper,,,top, top stuff...i regret to suggest crofty could try 30 of them and miss a yellow shirt every time...in short,,,as suspected - bell is much happier on the right wing,,,and i for one am happy for the boy to stay there...he gets the nod over crofty every time for me>>>

[/quote]Have you seen Bell play home and away for the last 15 games? He has been terrible and looks totally clueless and doesn''t realise that its ok to overlap players. Crofty for me everytime, twice the player Bell is

A brave point of view, but is it all about crossing ( you can tell I''m a Lee Croft fan can''t you ), he did some good runs coming inside and  set up some good situations. I just love watching Crofty as he takes on and beats his man nearly every time. Yes I have to agree about his crossing when he goes on the outside but for some bizarre reason I forgive him. But I will reserve judgement on your idea, it''s something that we will only know the answer if the manager tries it.[:)]

You are joking right?!?

Crofty was MOM yesterday, and was spot on all afternoon. Ran his heart out for the cause, kept taking his man on in an all action passionate display. And with little or no support from Otsemobor (2nd half was improvement).

Bell is supposedly injured, and has looked poor recently. You may say that is due to playing out of position, but he has always looked not interested half the time, is very slow, and not prepared to chase the ball down.

Dropping Croft for Bell, purely because his delivery is better would be shocking, and very very unfair on Croft, who is the better overall player.

No, you can''t drop Crofty at the moment. He works his socks off and now that Hucks has gone, is the only one who gets you to the edge of your seat but....

David Bell is a class act. Yes he has carried the ankle injury all season but our previous manager liked to destroy his players confidence and insisted on playing him on the left.

He had a few minutes yesterday on the right and Bingo!

As far as i know he has never played on the left either for Luton or Leicester although he is useful in a central midfield road.

When he came on last Saturday at Sheff U he made a massive difference.

I think he must stay and when playing under a decent manager will be a great asset next year.

thanks for the replies guys...but///bell started his naaarwich career as a sub for crofty on the right - i was very impressed - he is a technically better player than crofty (as evidenced by the deadball deliveries) and also has a footballing brain (he thinks before he passes/crosses)...bell has proved himself as a player who can create good goalscoring opportunties for other players time and time again...croft - while possessing an excellent workrate - and admittedly can get into good creative positions - fails imo to deliver chances time and time again///forgive me,,,but i''d rather have a man playing on the right wing who can create good chances, cos that leads to goals and wins us match...and thats the point of footy isn''t it???imo bell hates playing on the left,,,and aside a good full debut there has i agreed disappointed since...however - i said he would look a different player on the right - and he showed is yesterday by creating a goal within 10 mins...something croft for all his great endeavour for city ha failed to do...obviously bell might not be capable of playing for a full 90 mins cos of his ankle problem (due for surgery end of season) but i''d start him on the right every time ahead of crofty if fit enough - but thats my opinion...

In terms of his dead ball deliveries they have got a lot worse. Also Crofts crosses have got a lot better and Bell''s have been getting worse.Personally i would rather play Croft mainly because Bell''s attitude doesn''t seem to be very good. He doesn''t seem to want to work for the team.

[quote user="Fabregas- Poor Mans Ian Crook"]In terms of his dead ball deliveries they have got a lot worse. Also Crofts crosses have got a lot better and Bell''s have been getting worse.Personally i would rather play Croft mainly because Bell''s attitude doesn''t seem to be very good. He doesn''t seem to want to work for the team.[/quote]ok fab fair enough...hopefully bell will get some more opportunities on the right to help change your mind!!!

Bell really hasn''t impressed me at all. Seems to find himself offside far far too often, is too slow, and seems to have a very nonchalant attitude.

Would choose Lee Croft over Bell every day of the week.

[quote user="We Want Lappin Back"]Bell really hasn''t impressed me at all. Seems to find himself offside far far too often, is too slow, and seems to have a very nonchalant attitude.

Would choose Lee Croft over Bell every day of the week.[/quote]yeah - agreed that bells performances on the left got steadily worse and even affected his deadball skills - but thought he looked well up for it yesterday on the right,,,great cameo - even got back to defend!!!  fair comment???

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]with crofty and semmy doing their usual ''headless'' chicken double act down the right yesterday - semmy can''t stop the crosses while crofty can''t cross - wouldn''t city be better off with a decent unhurried right back who knows his job, and david bell taking crofty''s right wing berth as first choice???we all know that crofty has improved no end this season, and he''s a trier - make no mistake,,,but without a final third threat, he''s all bluster...bell came on with 10 mins left, and put over an absolute peach of a cross pin point onto rusty''s bonce to angle one in past a flailing keeper,,,top, top stuff...i regret to suggest crofty could try 30 of them and miss a yellow shirt every time...in short,,,as suspected - bell is much happier on the right wing,,,and i for one am happy for the boy to stay there...he gets the nod over crofty every time for me>>>[/quote]Nuts i tell you absolutely NUTS, Bell is a useless lump,  cant cross, cant run with the ball and cant pass, he always loses it.  he rarely has anything go right, get rid of him.......

We all know that Croft runs all day and tries his heart out, but Bell has better quality in the final 3rd than him. But as for dropping Croft and playing Bell, no. Croft doesn''t deserve to be dropped and Bell has been poor to say the least recently.

I wouldn''t have given Croft MOM yesterday, Doherty won everything at the back and i thought Hoolahan also had a very good game

How many times are we going to see posts like this???Personally I couldn''t care less if Bell is a better crosser than Croft because of the simple fact we have strikers who are much, much better with the ball played in low to feet than they are with balls in the air.Croft is doing exactly what he should be doing in our current squad and that''s taking on the full back and then looking for the ball across, or even having a go himself. Burning down the outside to put in a cross for two small strikers who are being marked by 6ft plus centre halves is unlikely to yield consistent results.If we had a different type of frontline, Bell may be the better choice at that point, such as if we were playing with Cort an 1 other. At the minute Bell seems like an ideal player as a sub, as we can look at bringing him on with Cort if we feel we need to change to complexion of our attack, but with Cureton + Lupoli/Russell being our main choices upfront, it makes more sense to go with Croft atm.Indy.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]No, you can''t drop Crofty at the moment. He works his socks off and now that Hucks has gone, is the only one who gets you to the edge of your seat but....

David Bell is a class act. Yes he has carried the ankle injury all season but our previous manager liked to destroy his players confidence and insisted on playing him on the left.

He had a few minutes yesterday on the right and Bingo!

As far as i know he has never played on the left either for Luton or Leicester although he is useful in a central midfield road.

When he came on last Saturday at Sheff U he made a massive difference.

I think he must stay and when playing under a decent manager will be a great asset next year.[/quote]Agree with both these views 100%. Croft is an invaluable player right now but I fear he will never be quite the finshed article. Bell on the other hand will be a big player in this division and I hope it''s with us. I think there''s room for them both: even without injuries (which Bell admits he is carrying) it could be good to interchange them. With Lappin and Pattison doing the same on the left with Clingan holding court in the centre - that would be a match winning midfield platform IMO.

Hi new pinkun poster here..

although Bell did put in a good cross for Russels goal yesterday, Lee Croft ran up and down that wong on numerous occasions both attacking and defending. There is no chance that you could drop Croft at this time.

Don''t forgot though that Croft is out of contract at the end of the season. I suspect someone with more money than us will tempt him away

Bell can''t get near Croft at the moment. Croft is a much better all round player plus, as we all know, puts a shift in.

I thought Crofty was alright yesterday?! Bell has been vastly over rated and thus far has shown little of anything in his time at the club.. it will be interesting to see how the new manager views him...

jas :)

[quote user="sheringhamcanary"]Hi new pinkun poster here.. although Bell did put in a good cross for Russels goal yesterday, Lee Croft ran up and down that wong on numerous occasions both attacking and defending. There is no chance that you could drop Croft at this time.[/quote]

whatever that poor Chinese lad had done wrong I''ll never know...

I think Bell would be more effective in the middle (preferably in place of you know who). This way we could accomodate both players into the starting eleven.