Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

Why I don't want Gunny for manager.

Managers regardless of initial success have a limited shelf life (with extremely rare exceptions such as Ferguson), whilst some managers move on to bigger clubs (unlikely given Gunny''s history) the vast majority end in being sacked (or the weasel words of mutual consent).

Gunny is a genuine City legend, part of the clubs and indeed the City''s lifeblood and I for one do not want him ever put into a position (be it 1, 2, 5 years time) where the fans of this club want (or worse still chant/protest) for him out. Yesterday''s win is a fitting addition to the Bryan Gunn story and there it should end.

I have to say i''m in total agrreance with you, I''ve met Gunny once or twice over the years and he is such a genuine nice guy, he signed his book for me, had picutres taken with my son and even bought me a drink in the old Chicago Rock Cafe on a wednesday after a match!

As much as he is Mr Norwich City and think not only could he do the job, for the good of the club and team, i too would hate to see him fail and us the fans turn on him!!!

I would love top see him as manager. IMO dave Stringer was our best ever manager and he was an internal, steeped in the clubs history.

[quote user="Badger"]
I would love top see him as manager. IMO dave Stringer was our best ever manager and he was an internal, steeped in the clubs history.[/quote]

Gunn would become the biggest puppet of all, the board would run rings around him.

I think the NCFC board would like Gunny to be manager......Appointing from within and no compensation to pay, will do as he''s told by the board, knows there is no dosh....etc, etc.

Personally, I would prefer if he remained ''backroom staff'' because, I would hate to see him persecuted if it all goes wrong and if he was to be in charge if we were to be relegated.

[quote user="still holding out for new heroes"]

Managers regardless of initial success have a limited shelf life (with extremely rare exceptions such as Ferguson), whilst some managers move on to bigger clubs (unlikely given Gunny''s history) the vast majority end in being sacked (or the weasel words of mutual consent).

Gunny is a genuine City legend, part of the clubs and indeed the City''s lifeblood and I for one do not want him ever put into a position (be it 1, 2, 5 years time) where the fans of this club want (or worse still chant/protest) for him out. Yesterday''s win is a fitting addition to the Bryan Gunn story and there it should end.

[/quote]totally agree...gunny is a NCFC legend and it should forever stay that way

Maybe Gunn should be given 2-3 games to see how things go. If it looks like he can keep us up then leave him in place to the end of the season and then have a search for a full-time replacement. To be honest I think this isn''t the real issue. What we need more than a new manager is a new first team coach...

Regardless of proven ability and based on one result.  Brilliant. 

Does anyone seriously think in their tiny minds that gunny wants to give up his cosy mr nice guy lifestyle to grab the poisoned chalice?

Nuggets.

[quote user="Badger"]
I would love top see him as manager. IMO dave Stringer was our best ever manager and he was an internal, steeped in the clubs history.

[/quote]

[quote user="renegade tootsie"]

Regardless of proven ability and based on one result.  Brilliant. 

Does anyone seriously think in their tiny minds that gunny wants to give up his cosy mr nice guy lifestyle to grab the poisoned chalice?

Nuggets.

[quote user="Badger"]I would love top see him as manager. IMO dave Stringer was our best ever manager and he was an internal, steeped in the clubs history.

[/quote]

[/quote]When we enjoyed our best ever years, we consistently appointed from within the club. Stringer hadn''t had managerial experience and Walker had only limited experience (at Colchester?) years before. Whether Gunn would want the role is another matter - he has far more to lose than to gain. However, I don''t think that he would be any more risky than any of the proven failures that constitute most of the list.

I agree that he probably won''t go for the job - after being so close to how things turned out with Roeder, surely no one would? He is a true legend so I''m happy to keep it that way... 100% win stats to his managerial career would surely put him into a higher category of legend [:)]

People say that he doesn''t really want it, or to be in the running for the job.

But I did pick up on Eadie on RN yesterday saying that Gunny has been after this job for a long time...

I just hope that''s not the case because as I have said elsewhere I believe it would be a disaster.

IF, and it''s a big if, Gunny is in the running for the job, it should be his decision, and his alone, as to whether he wants to take it or not. Whenever you take a new job there is always the risk of failing, but it all depends on whether you believe you can do a good job or not. If Gunny believes he can do a good job here then I have no problem with him being the next manager. Nobody can predict the future, you never know, he might be a revelation...

Unless your name is Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi all managers don''t survive very long in this game.

If Byan Gunn wants to remain employed by NCFC long term, and to live in an area of the country that he and his family love, he''d be taking a big chance accepting the managers post if it were offered to him. He might do enough to keep us up this season and even set us up for a promotion but it would all go pear-shaped sooner or later - it always does - and he''d end up being sacked from the club he loves.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

Unless your name is Alex Ferguson or Dario Gradi all managers don''t survive very long in this game.

If Byan Gunn wants to remain employed by NCFC long term, and to live in an area of the country that he and his family love, he''d be taking a big chance accepting the managers post if it were offered to him. He might do enough to keep us up this season and even set us up for a promotion but it would all go pear-shaped sooner or later - it always does - and he''d end up being sacked from the club he loves.

[/quote]We kept Stringer didn''t we? I know it was a long time ago but from recollection, when things started to go wrong, he decided to step down and stayed at the club. If it didn''t work out with Gunn why couldn''t we do the same with Gunn? Perhaps I am being too romantic...

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]We kept Stringer didn''t we? I know it was a long time ago but from recollection, when things started to go wrong, he decided to step down and stayed at the club. If it didn''t work out with Gunn why couldn''t we do the same with Gunn? Perhaps I am being too romantic...[/quote]Agreed - I''d have no problems with Gunn having a go (if that was his heart''s desire) - especially if it was with another equal weight such as a Malky or a Crook. Gunny would never hold the club to ransom or stay too long. On the other hand, I despaired at all those callers to Canary Call asking for him to be given the job on the strength of yesterday''s performance. Although I got cross with those posters who moaned on Friday about him being given the caretaker role; one victory does not a successful manger make. Honestly, I reckon my old auntie could have got a victory yesterday. But Gunny''s stature guaranteed it. With the Roeder gone it was a foregone conclusion, despite one or two lingering misgivings from some of GR''s favourites.

[quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

It''s the Board who would feel the heat if Gunny failed to keep us up. I feel that the majority of fans are intelligent enough to realise that. Gunny would continue to be held in high esteem by most of us for simply for having a go. Having said that, I think it is Boothroyd as the front runner with Hareide and J Calderwood as dark horses. The important thing is that Gunny has lifted the place now so that whoever comes in just needs to tap into that energy.

[/quote]

Yes nothing to add, but to say the fans have to much respect for him and he the fans,I would hate it to turn sour. We need a Niel Warnock figure in charge if not indeed himself.

[/quote]

100% agree

[/quote]

It shows how low Smith is prepared to go in order to save her own skin. Some things are best left untouched and I fear you are spot on.........

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]

We kept Stringer didn''t we? I know it was a long time ago but from recollection, when things started to go wrong, he decided to step down and stayed at the club.

If it didn''t work out with Gunn why couldn''t we do the same with Gunn? Perhaps I am being too romantic...

[/quote]

Good point !!   With Gunn being the legend that he is and with his links to fans, if things were not working out, I do not think that he would want to overstay his welcome. He could then step back down into a ''lower'' role. If Gunn is a man with ambition, which I believe he is, I wish him all the best if he wants the Norwich job, and I would back him to the hilt after yesterday''s performance.  Gunn and Malky would make a good combination IMO.

[quote user="paul moy"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="......and Smith must score."]

[/quote]We kept Stringer didn''t we? I know it was a long time ago but from recollection, when things started to go wrong, he decided to step down and stayed at the club. If it didn''t work out with Gunn why couldn''t we do the same with Gunn? Perhaps I am being too romantic...[/quote]

Good point !!   With Gunn being the legend that he is and with his links to fans, if things were not working out, I do not think that he would want to overstay his welcome. He could then step back down into a ''lower'' role. If Gunn is a man with ambition, which I believe he is, I wish him all the best if he wants the Norwich job, and I would back him to the hilt after yesterday''s performance.  Gunn and Malky would make a good combination IMO.

[/quote]Completely agree also. If possible, the ideal scenario would be for him to take charge for the next 3 games & - assuming it went OK & everyone was in agreement - talk to the Board about keeping the job till the end of the season.I reckon there''s a bit more to him than being a big cuddly ''yes'' man.

I don''t see a good reason why Gunn couldn''t be employed in a coaching/motivational role when the new manager is appointed. For this to work it would obviously have to be with the agreement of the incoming manager, making Boothroyd and/or Mackay the favourites for this scenario.That aside, I think the timing of the board''s decision has put them in a difficult position with regards taking their time over an appointment. If they take more than about a week then the chance of the new manager bringing in a couple of reinforcements are slim.Personally I''d be tempted to offer it to Gunny till the end of the season but on a match to match basis on the understanding he''d step aside if things went from bad to worse.If Fergie really is mates with Gunny then it''s about time he proved it by loaning us a couple of wonderkids till the end of the season. ;)

[quote user="Costa-Canary"]Has Gunny ever shown any desire or ambition to become a manager ? i think the guy is great but this is really not what we need to move forward[/quote]Not publically, but if Eadie''s comments on Radio Narrrfuk yesterday are to be believed, possibly.

Gunnys a club legend who has a job for as long as he wants one at the club doing whatever!

I was told early on in the disasterous Roeder era that Roedernowhere didn''t want owt to do with Gunn but the club told him that he was part of the fixtures and fittings!

I''m sure with an experienced guy assisting him Gunny would be better than Grant and Roeder put together (not that it would difficult!) but would Gunny want all the hassle when hes already wealthy and is assured of a job at ther club?