Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

New Manager- the problem

This is a toughie for the board. GR was a weird one- he is a bit like a rolls royce with a dodgy engine! All the ingredients were there- but a fatal flaw in his character (arrogance and inability to manage people ) meant that it all goes sour after a while. The players did great at first but he stifled them through over controlling nature IMO. If he did not have that flaw he could be good I think...hence Arsene etc rate him.

But now there is every chance we will get the reverse. A nice Norfolk chappy but who is less able in the football side. Becuase in all honesty I think we will struggle to get a GOOD manager. Here is why:

1) Boothroyd: if it wasn''t for the NCFC connection he would be as popular as Holloway. Had a good season but plays wrong style and bummed BIG time when the challenges arose. I really think he wold be a bad appointment- yet to prove he can hold it together when the going gets tough.

2) Holloway: great bloke, rubbish manager IMO

3) Rioch: not done anything of note for a very long time. Though him with Crook etc is probably best option

4) Ince: has all the qualities that made GR unpopular.

5) Dowie: a bit better than most candidates and has experience. might do Ok. But not exactly enticing me.

6) Robins & Ferguson: do not think they would leave. V. inexperienced, neither has faced bad times yet...it is only when the bullets fly that you can judge IMO

7) Claderwell: hopeless at Forest, enough said.

8) Worthy: actually has the credentials but doubt he could placate fans due to history

9) Gunny: Love the bloke but no. Too nice and it woul be sad when the crowd eventually turned on him. And he could go rubbish very quickly.

10) Curbishley- NOW we are talking but I really CANNOT see him accepting. Great shame he is head and shoulders above ALL other candidates.

That is about it. NUmber 10 and I will be over the moon. 2, 3, 5 or 8 MIGHT do a job but jury would be out. 1, 6 or 9 would be a gamble akin to Grant. 7 hopeless and 4 is GR mach 2!

That foreign feller -now he is the unknown element....serious homework would need doing.

[quote user="the artist formerly known as VIYAG"]

3) Rioch: not done anything of note for a very long time. Though him with Crook etc is probably best option

[/quote]

apart from managing in the champions league

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]will the board properly back their new manager to credibly tighten our defence and provide a goalscorer???[/quote]Back him with what? [:''(]

[quote user="Lord Flashheart"][quote user="lucky green trainers"]will the board properly back their new manager to credibly tighten our defence and provide a goalscorer???[/quote]Back him with what? [:''(][/quote]yep - the tears says it all!!!

This is a toughie for the board. GR was a weird one- he is a bit like a rolls royce with a dodgy engine! All the ingredients were there- but a fatal flaw in his character (arrogance and inability to manage people ) meant that it all goes sour after a while. The players did great at first but he stifled them through over controlling nature IMO. If he did not have that flaw he could be good I think...hence Arsene etc rate him.

But now there is every chance we will get the reverse. A nice Norfolk chappy but who is less able in the football side. Becuase in all honesty I think we will struggle to get a GOOD manager. Here is why:

1) Boothroyd: if it wasn''t for the NCFC connection he would be as popular as Holloway. Had a good season but plays wrong style and bummed BIG time when the challenges arose. I really think he wold be a bad appointment- yet to prove he can hold it together when the going gets tough.

2) Holloway: great bloke, rubbish manager IMO

4) Ince: has all the qualities that made GR unpopular.

5) Dowie: a bit better than most candidates and has experience. might do Ok. But not exactly enticing me.

6) Robins & Ferguson: do not think they would leave. V. inexperienced, neither has faced bad times yet...it is only when the bullets fly that you can judge IMO

7) Claderwell: hopeless at Forest, enough said.

8) Worthy: actually has the credentials but doubt he could placate fans due to history

9) Gunny: Love the bloke but no. Too nice and it woul be sad when the crowd eventually turned on him. And he could go rubbish very quickly.

10) Curbishley- NOW we are talking but I really CANNOT see him accepting. Great shame he is head and shoulders above ALL other candidates.

That is about it. NUmber 10 and I will be over the moon. 2, 3, 5 or 8 MIGHT do a job but jury would be out. 1, 6 or 9 would be a gamble akin to Grant. 7 hopeless and 4 is GR mach 2!

That foreign feller -now he is the unknown element....serious homework would need doing.

[/quote]

Well thought out and well put.Agreed with everything you have said.....EXCEPT 10!!!After spending 5 years down south with the Charlton/Palace scum lot and hearing all the maons and groans re him..HELL NO!!!!!!!!!!! IMO

Disagree re: Boothroyd.

Think he would be a terrific manager for us, and with the NCFC connection of Malky I think most fans would be pleased and re-unite to support them.

I''m not sure I entirely agree with the comments regarding Ince. I think he''s a winner and sometimes that can come across as being arrogant. He''s a fighter and that''s what we need in our situation. Glenn was never a winner really, that''s the crucuial difference for me.

I don''t think I agree with the comments about Boothroyd, to be honest... he''s probably no more of a hoofball merchant than Worthy was and, in both ours and Watford''s promotion seasons, they seemed to get the balance right.  He''s just that little bit younger and fresher than many of the other candidates so I''d back him fully if he came in.Really wouldn''t surprise me to see the board give Gunny a few more games, though.  Its in their nature and although he would certainly bring a bit of good feeling back to the club, it could also go very sour, very quickly.Whoever comes in is going to struggle because of our lack of funds, though...Quick point of clarification, though - the Calderwood linked with us is Jimmy, of Aberdeen, not Colin....

Good post, so glad you said that about Boothroyd and Ince, really not bothered by either of them, would rather Ferguson or Robins, both seem like pretenders to me.

Totally disagree about Holloway. been a success at Bristol Rovers QPR and Plymouth and only failed at Leicester when he, for the first time in his career had money to spend, not a situation likely to happen at Carrow Road.

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]I don''t think I agree with the comments about Boothroyd, to be honest... he''s probably no more of a hoofball merchant than Worthy was and, in both ours and Watford''s promotion seasons, they seemed to get the balance right.  He''s just that little bit younger and fresher than many of the other candidates so I''d back him fully if he came in.[/quote]And his relative youth is a real bonus because he''s looking to make a long career in the game and to prove he can deliver as a manager - and that his achievements at Watford were not a fluke.  Plus he''s ambitious. All good.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]I don''t think I agree with the comments about Boothroyd, to be honest... he''s probably no more of a hoofball merchant than Worthy was and, in both ours and Watford''s promotion seasons, they seemed to get the balance right.  He''s just that little bit younger and fresher than many of the other candidates so I''d back him fully if he came in.[/quote]And his relative youth is a real bonus because he''s looking to make a long career in the game and to prove he can deliver as a manager - and that his achievements at Watford were not a fluke.  Plus he''s ambitious. All good.[/quote]And he''s managed/coached here before and understands the Norwich way of playing.

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Evil Monkey"]I don''t think I agree with the comments about Boothroyd, to be honest... he''s probably no more of a hoofball merchant than Worthy was and, in both ours and Watford''s promotion seasons, they seemed to get the balance right.  He''s just that little bit younger and fresher than many of the other candidates so I''d back him fully if he came in.[/quote]And his relative youth is a real bonus because he''s looking to make a long career in the game and to prove he can deliver as a manager - and that his achievements at Watford were not a fluke.  Plus he''s ambitious. All good.[/quote]And he''s managed/coached here before and understands the Norwich way of playing.[/quote]Hmmmm... a lot of this sounds like Peter Grant too.The only clear fact right now is that there is no obvious choice, just as there wasn''t last time, or the time before that. Football is an art, not a science, and whoever we pick it will be a gamble. You can be sure that in a year''s time the board will get the blame if it''s a gamble that fails - hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Agree with a lot of what you say VIYAG (formerly known as) - except you''ve got the wrong Calderwood (look at today''s result for Aberdeen).

You''ve perfectly summed up Roeder''s control-freakiness. Strange he displayed this in such abundance, it''s usually a fault with much less experienced managers.

Paul Ince has huge potential - but the word when he left Blackburn was that the team was playing as a load of individuals - not for each other. We definitely don''t need that!

Exactly Worthy and Boothroyd have similar ways and we played decent football at times with Worthy. If we can''t afford Malky''s comp, how about Gunny as No2. That way if it goes pear shaped he can step in again having gained a bit more experience - It''s win-win for the board.

Oh I agree Boothroyd would be a popular appointment....I am just very doubtful that he would be a good one. I really DO think that everyone wants him simply becuase he was here before.

Be honest if he had never had any connection with NCFC would people be raving for him as they are. I can answer that for you- NO. They would say , lacks experience and did not cope when things got challenging.

Thus he is a major risk- very much a new Grant. Not saying he might not get lucky...but it is a risky undertaking.

You have touched on the very problem I''ve always seen and the reason why I won''t slag the board although they have to go!

I think most sane people would agree that the boards last 2 appointments - Grant and Roeder were terrible but its awfully hard getting the right bloke!

I think Boothroyd would be my choice because he got Watford into the Prem with limited funds, hes young, ambitious, knows the club and doesn''t seem like a yes man!

The Malky Mackay factor - a guy who bleeds yellow and green and has the determination is a positive one!

As an aside on Mr Mackay (who I don''t know at all) some Watford fans wonder whether he would come to you as No 2.  Their thinking is that there are new Directors imminent (two local businessmen who have some money but not billions), a new Chairman and possibly the return of Elton John.

No one seems very impressed with Mr Boothroyd''s successor and there is a view that he may not be long for the Watford world if results do not improve dramatically especially after the new lot come in - some are speculating that Malky might sit tight at Watford in the hope of getting the No 1 job.  He is well liked there, apparently.

If Mr B is in the frame for Norwich you will, of course, have to get the permission of Watford to talk to Malky - permission which they could refuse, especially as No 2 would not exactly be a promotion as they see it.

Whether the Watford fans are right or not I can''t say but it seems a further permutation (complication?).

[quote user="Camuldonum"]

As an aside on Mr Mackay (who I don''t know at all) some Watford fans wonder whether he would come to you as No 2.  Their thinking is that there are new Directors imminent (two local businessmen who have some money but not billions), a new Chairman and possibly the return of Elton John.

No one seems very impressed with Mr Boothroyd''s successor and there is a view that he may not be long for the Watford world if results do not improve dramatically especially after the new lot come in - some are speculating that Malky might sit tight at Watford in the hope of getting the No 1 job.  He is well liked there, apparently.

If Mr B is in the frame for Norwich you will, of course, have to get the permission of Watford to talk to Malky - permission which they could refuse, especially as No 2 would not exactly be a promotion as they see it.

Whether the Watford fans are right or not I can''t say but it seems a further permutation (complication?).

[/quote]

For once Cam, i read with interest![:)]

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"][quote user="Camuldonum"]

[/quote]

For once Cam, i read with interest![:)]

[/quote]

One in a hundred will do, Arthur.[;)] I doubt Mick Dennis aims for much more..............

I presume that by "the foreign feller " you are refering to the ex NCFC player Aage Hareide ( ok I know that is spelt wrong !) He has been in europe with his nowegian teams and managed the Norwegian  national team , not heard anything bad about him , couls be worth a shot ?

I have to say, Vicar, that I would be in favour of Boothroyd regardless of the City connection. He did a superb job at Watford and has just the right mixture of Championship experience and youthful hunger that we need. His problems at Watford started when they were promoted, which is a problem I think I would be able to put up with. I think the only way his time at City is relevant is in perhaps reassuring some of us who wonder whether he is a long-ball merchant.

I am really suspicious of this ''he has to bleed yellow and green'' stuff. To me, it smacks of the way the FA go about appointing England managers, which is to appoint the opposite of the last one. We need to appoint the best man for the job, not the man with the closest City connection. As others have said, it''s not an exact science and it''s easy to get it wrong, but I think that Boothroyd is the best man for the job.

Nobody has really given Curbishley the time of day, or is it simply that they feel there is no hope of getting him or what?And as many have alluded getting the selection right is a difficult job, but how could the board''s job of picking the right man be made easier? Is there anybody they can bring in that could provide advice? Sir Bobby Robson?

[/quote]

I''ll give you Ferguson but Robins? He took over Rotherham when they were rooted at the bottom of the table and turned things around quickly, this year they started on -17pts and would be comfortably in the play-offs if it was not for that. If the bullets are starting to fly then surely that''s the manager''s fault? If they are not flying then he is doing his job well.