Sign in to follow this  
a1canary

Split in the dressing room?

Don''t mean to be provocative, and i don''t mean a massive falling out in the dressing room, but i do think there are two clear camps among the squad of those who liked the last manager and those who didn''t. Or rather those that GR alienated and those he didn''t!

From what Fotheringham has said he was clearly a big fan. The Doc and Crofty i''d say were also behind him.

Clearly Cureton and Hoolahan felt alienated by him though and you couldn''t get any better proof of it than in their performances on Saturday.

[quote user="a1canary"]Don''t mean to be provocative, and i don''t mean a massive falling out in the dressing room, but i do think there are two clear camps among the squad of those who liked the last manager and those who didn''t. Or rather those that GR alienated and those he didn''t!

From what Fotheringham has said he was clearly a big fan. The Doc and Crofty i''d say were also behind him.

Clearly Cureton and Hoolahan felt alienated by him though and you couldn''t get any better proof of it than in their performances on Saturday.[/quote]I see where you are going and there probably are two camps in the dressing room.  There are those who Roeder obviously put faith in and there are the others who incurred his wrath and had been sent to Coventry at some point or another.  I doubt however that too many players are sorry to see the back of him.Good managers are able to keep players happy, even when they are not in the first team.  Managers like Roeder however, cut their noses off to spite their face.  Prime example of this is Cureton, whatever anyones opinion on his ability, Roeder clearly would have left him at Barnsley even though we only had Lupoli and an unfit Cort as strikers in the squad.  You can only assume from this that his treatment of Cureton was personal and not for footballing reasons.  Otherwise he should have called him back and there lies the root of Roeders failings.  Just because you don''t like someone doesn''t mean you can''t work with them.Seems to me Roeder demanded respect without earning it or showing it to others.

...and this puts Cureton in a total opposite position to Fozz:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/default.stm

Norwich''s Jamie Cureton has claimed the Canaries players were not given freedom to play under sacked boss Glenn Roeder.

The striker, 33, returned to Carrow Road this week after being recalled from his loan spell at Barnsley and scored in the 4-0 win over the Tykes.

He told BBC Radio Norfolk: "Players felt the manager [Roeder] didn''t have faith in the team.

"We weren''t allowed to play with freedom but under caretaker manager Bryan Gunn I felt wanted again."

That article says more about Roeder the man, than I could ever say.

However think there is a difference between players like Fozzy and Croft who prospered under Roeder and players committed to him who might now be questioning their future at the club.  Hope we do not have too many of those (well maybe Fozzy...)