Sign in to follow this  

What''s veryones opinion of the Doc these days?I think that he has been immense recently, despite all of the rubbish that has been going on around him.After all the slagging off that he has received from fans over the last couple of years, I think its time to stand up for the man and the effort that he puts in to every game.I know that he is still prone to silly mistakes, such as his rugby tackle foul the other night against Charlton, but where would we be without him right now?On current form I would say that he must be in the running for Player of the Season.

My Player of the Season so far, was level with Clingan who has faded a little in recent weeks.  The only one who has looked like he''s giving his all in every game.  His heading is much improved and he goes to ground less often than he used to.  You could say Roeder improved his all round game (ditto Croft).

I think he''s in the top 3 players this season (Clingan and Croft are the others) because I can''t remember many bad games he has had.  It would have been interesting to see where he would have figured if Stefanovic and Kennedy had been fit.  Would Roeder have played him?

doc is a really good player. i agree with him being in the running for player of the season again. i''ve heard fans slanging him off for holding on to players, but isnt the only one who does it.

Pretty much concur with previous posts. Doc has been outstanding this season, and without him I hate to think where we would be. Him & Croft have been players of the season for me so far.

I agree, I''ve always had a sneaking admiration for him, even if his habit of grabbing opposition players is incredibly frustrating. Why does he do it?No-one has mentioned on this thread yet that in the last few games he''s started to play up front a bit too when needed, and scored! There''s only one Ginger Pele!

Doherty currently picks himself because there is no alternative. He''ll never be a great player IMO. But in the past 6 months he''s gone from being "OK at times" to  a very good player, dependable and a rock. If he was a little more vocal and commanding on the pitch he could be come a Really Useful Captain. And after a new striker, that''s the next hole we need to fill.

I have had my issues with the Doc in the past. I always found him immensely frustrating that he would often be fantastic for the majority of the game but just have those lapses in concentration, which would result in major errors.

This year however he seems to have got that out of his game, he has improved with age, and keeping him at the club in the summer has proved a tidy bit of business. Yesterday, I''m sure few would argue the man was flawless. Often covering for the inexperienced Ground, keeping the young defence together as a unit, and I would go as far as saying its the best I''ve ever seen him play.

Lets hope it continues and the Doc and Grounds can strike up a partnership for a few games, because we need a few clean sheets. Ideally however, I think a long-term partner next to him is second on the list for this January window. Probably won''t happen, but you never know, hopefully the mystery person who recalled Curo could look into it.

Doc''s never been blessed with great ability, but he''s gutsy and will give his all. Earlier in the season he was a scapegoat for some on here, but I think he''s had  a pretty good season, given the mayhem around him!

[quote user="Jimmy Bone - Superstar"]What''s veryones opinion of the Doc these days?
I think that he has been immense recently, despite all of the rubbish that has been going on around him.
After all the slagging off that he has received from fans over the last couple of years, I think its time to stand up for the man and the effort that he puts in to every game.
I know that he is still prone to silly mistakes, such as his rugby tackle foul the other night against Charlton, but where would we be without him right now?
On current form I would say that he must be in the running for Player of the Season.
[/quote]

Agree totally!

The Doc has been mostly outstanding this season and we''d certainly be worse of without him cause he covers for his CB partner all the time!

Hes had his horrors but hes no where near as bad as some make out and has been made an unjust target in the past!

The grass isn''t greener cause we got in supposedly better CBs in Stefanovic and Kennedy, yet the Doc is better than both of them. In fact I thought Kennedy was cr*p in his last 10 or so games for us!

Strong contender for PotS!

The Doc!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

The grass isn''t greener cause we got in supposedly better CBs in Stefanovic and Kennedy, yet the Doc is better than both of them. In fact I thought Kennedy was cr*p in his last 10 or so games for us!

[/quote]

All 3 of those have played roughly the same amount of time this season due to injuries and suspension.

Kennedy started really well, but looked well off the pace by the time he got injured at Sheff Wed.  Think the injuries caught up with him because he was getting turned more easily as the season went on.

Stefanovic again started well, but again seemed to lose some momentum and looked a liability at times.  Two pens given away, a needless sending off, and a couple of other occasions when he was very lucky not to see red.  However, his experience would have been vital right now and its a shame we won''t see him again this season.

Doc has been the most consistent of the three.  I think he''s had a better season so far than when he won Player of the Year.

I like the Doc, and think he''s been one of our better players this season. Certainly only he and Crofty can really look themselves in the mirror and claim they''ve given their all for the cause.

But - and I think I''ve said this before, if the Doc is your best player, you''re going down.

At some point, either via Roeder or Grant, he has improved his physical fitness and power immensely. When i first saw him this season he looked like a brick sh*t house. In a good way, without being fat or anything. He has really beefed up and become an intimidating and nasty player to play against. He certainly lacks in agility at times but he makes up for it with his presence. Not unlike Malky.

All he needs now is the organisational and positional awareness of Malky.

[quote user="Robert N. LiM"]

I like the Doc, and think he''s been one of our better players this season. Certainly only he and Crofty can really look themselves in the mirror and claim they''ve given their all for the cause.

But - and I think I''ve said this before, if the Doc is your best player, you''re going down.

[/quote]

The Doc deservedly got the player of the season award in 2005/06 when we finished 9th so your gloomy prediction is more than likely to be wide of the mark!

The Docs outstanding displays at the back for us this year would get him most if not all other Championship teams!