Sign in to follow this  
Romantic

Did the Irons Fans 'Break' Roeder?

I wonder what long term effect the horrific abuse Roeder got at West Ham when he had his brain tumor has had on his attitude towards fans? I for one love a cauldron like atmosphere at a ground and find the edgy banter quite exciting but as with Spurs fans at Portsmouth v Campbell and with Roeder at Upton Park, it occasionally escalates into something more sinister.

Was Roeders attitude toward us as supporters and his defensive arrogance a by-product of that experience I wonder? Or was he just a self centered git?

Yeah I know - it actually sprung to mind yesterday when I was listening to the spurs game. Campbell had a cracker at White Heart Lane. He''s had his say about the degree of abuse and it''s impact on him, now he''s sucking it up and actually being motivated by it. Somewhere along the line football lost Roeder and we suffered as a result.

[quote user="Romantic"]Yeah I know - it actually sprung to mind yesterday when I was listening to the spurs game. Campbell had a cracker at White Heart Lane. He''s had his say about the degree of abuse and it''s impact on him, now he''s sucking it up and actually being motivated by it. Somewhere along the line football lost Roeder and we suffered as a result.[/quote]He was at Burnley before West Ham (as assistant to Waddle) and he alienated them with remarks made about Little.

I think Roeders general persona is not suited to managing people and his brain tumour may also of had negative effects on his personality BUT now hes gone -

I don''t really care a f*ck about a plank who single handedly wrecked our clubs morale!

Well done board for seeing the light last week but a big DOH! - for appointing him in the first place!

[quote user="Romantic"]I wonder what long term effect the horrific abuse Roeder got at West Ham when he had his brain tumor has had on his attitude towards fans? I for one love a cauldron like atmosphere at a ground and find the edgy banter quite exciting but as with Spurs fans at Portsmouth v Campbell and with Roeder at Upton Park, it occasionally escalates into something more sinister. Was Roeders attitude toward us as supporters and his defensive arrogance a by-product of that experience I wonder? Or was he just a self centered git?[/quote]

WHO

[quote user="Romantic"]I wonder what long term effect the horrific abuse Roeder got at West Ham when he had his brain tumor has had on his attitude towards fans? I for one love a cauldron like atmosphere at a ground and find the edgy banter quite exciting but as with Spurs fans at Portsmouth v Campbell and with Roeder at Upton Park, it occasionally escalates into something more sinister.

Was Roeders attitude toward us as supporters and his defensive arrogance a by-product of that experience I wonder? Or was he just a self centered git?[/quote]I can absolutely understand where Roeder was coming from - in the internet age, any average Joe can argue about teams and tactics and selections, and very often will have about 5% of the overall picture.Where Roeder got it wrong was in his confrontational attitude.  The manager''s in a hard position.  He has to be the manager, but also one of the fans - he has to die a little with each defeat, as we do.  With Roeder all you saw was the "I''m right, you''re wrong" confrontational approach that was only ever going to alienate supporters.  I don''t imagine his experience at West Ham helped, but as someone else noted here, he treated Burnley fans with contempt previous to his West Ham experience.  He seems a proud stubborn man, and a lot of good managers would be proud and stubborn, but they would also appreciate the need for good PR, or at least the absence of bad PR.Given what Roeder was given in financial terms, bringing Bell and Hula in was good business - Stefanovic too though sadly he might now be finished.  He improved our squad and kept us up after gettting rid of much of Grant''s dead wood.  Sadly, these positives are overwhelmed by my personal distaste for the man''s arrogant and abrasive attitude.  What other business could have the MD telling his customers that they "know nothing" or are "classless"?  Gerald Ratner springs to mind suddenly, and look what happened to him.