Sign in to follow this  
Delia, When Do I Start??

Lappin - a fans favourite?

Well I do have a certain sympathy for players who:go out on loan and score goals - even while playing at LBgo out on loan but declare their heart and will is back at Carrow Rdhave a good first touch and ball controlcan deliver crosses into the boxare prepared to pass and run on - rather than run themselves into troublehas been blatantly persecuted by Roeder for no apparent reason

I think it''s fair to say he''s a fan''s favourite, after the treatment he had to put up with from Roeder, and the fact that he kept quiet and professional the whole time says a lot for him as a person, and for that I think he has earnt the respect of all fans. He definately deserves his chance.

This is what I call a "Jim Brennan" conundrum.When Drury and Huckerby were playing on the left side, we were shipping a fair few goals (think it was the prem season?). And there were quite a few people that thought Brennan needed his chance, deserved to play, and would be a much better option than Drury.Until of course he actually played. Then we realised he was crap! When a player isn''t playing, it''s much easier to remember the good things about them. Give Lappin a few games, wait for a couple of bad performances, watch the tide turn...

Well I don''t think the lad has been given a fair crack at the whip, he''s got a lovely cross, and whenever I have seen him play, he''s been no worse than some of the players who have played regularly

For me Lappin''s treatment by Roeder has no bearing on the decision of whether or not he gets a game.If Gunny or whoever else may come in feels that he''s worth a game or two, fair enough, but the decision has to be based on what he''ll bring to the team, and not on sympathy/respect for the guy.I''d argue that Hoolahan is better on the left than Lappin, although if Wes was playing more centrally it would be a choice between Lappin, Bertrand or Pattison on the left, and at that stage Lappin might be worth a shout.One interesting point to consider is that Lappin had the option of moving under Roeder, but refused because it would have meant lower wages and going back to Scotland, I''m not particularly faulting his choice, but he''d rather have been sat in our reserves for months when the manager had made it clear he was out of the picture, than he would play week in, week out, back in Scotland...Kind of puts a different complexion on things if you ask me.

[quote user="Delia When Do I Start"]

We all go on about lappin and its almost as if he is our favourite player!!

is this true?

[/quote]I don''t, I think he''s a poor man''s David Bell.

I think its fairly obv that he''s not amazing - otherwise he''d have been snapped up in one of the transfer windows.

However, that said i think roeder was way off the mark by saying there was not a hope in hell of playing for norwich again - despite us having a very small squad. yes he''s not come out and complained publicly but perhaps he''s happy picking up a pay cheque each month?

yeh he isn''t the greatest player, but I think the reason he is so popular with some Norwich fans, like me, is the way he was so unfairly treated by Roeder. Yes he was one of the people who had a terrible game against Plymouth last season, but come on give the lad a chance. In others games he has played he has looked like he can do a job and is a decent set piece taker. Remeber that goal against Luton???

Boils down to the following:

1) The Plymouth game.

2) The 5-1 reserve shocker against Ipswich.

3) Lappin possibly saying something unforgiveable to Roeder which meant he could never pick him again.

4) Roeder just simply being stubborn.

5) Lappin being offered a deal elsewhere and refusing to leave.

Or all five!

For what its worth, he''s not a great left-back but an okay squad player for left midfield.  I''d have him on the bench as cover at best.

True, don''t misunderstand me im not defending roeders treatment of him & i would def have him in the squad as a left footed mid-fielder.

As curo couldn''t hit a barn yard door under glen & can do currently lets hope lappin does the same.

Regardless of what has made GR leave him out of the squad, IMO we''re paying his wages he might aswell be involved in the first team squad. By all accounts the press releases seem to suggest he has a good attitude, ok he''s had some bad games for us but he has also had some good ones (most of our players fit into the category). Get them all together and involved it must be abit odd for the other players seeing another player being humilated and made to train with the kids, it couldnt have helped but have put even more doubts into the players minds about how GR treated people who didnt do or fit in with exactly what he wanted.

I don''t think we''ll ever find out.  When Roeder was praising his attitude and performance for the reserves but saying he was not in his plans anymore, it does make you wonder what on earth happened to make him say that. [*-)]