Sign in to follow this  
@NYCANARIES

Why not.....

Give the job to Gunn til the end of the season...It''s a win win.

Reasons why...

1: If he fails he will be the first to step down as he loves the club and would want to stay on in some capacity. He aslo has the clubs interests at heart.

2: If he fails, there will be no big pay off . Simply interview again.

3: The players seem to like him and happy players score goals and win games: See Saturday.

4: Fans love him.

5: Understands what the supporters and the players need. He has been at the club long enough to know.

I don''t see a downside actually. Let him carry on... If it goes wrong, he steps down, hire a new man.

I personally would like to see him get a chance.

-Bigus

It''s not a win-win if for whatever reason our form tails off, and we get relegated.  The manager coming in will need to change things around tactically in close matches, maybe we''re 1-1 at Donny with 10 minutes left for example.  No offence to Gunn intended, but will he recognise the need to change things around, and can he make the correct decisions ?If all any manager needs to do is bring the players that Roeder brought in together, then Gunn has already shown that he has what it takes to do that.  It''s what happens when things get sticky that worries me.  They will, they always do.  We need to fight from where we are.

how do you know gunn wouldnt have changed the tactics if we were losing .

hes worked under enough and with enough managers to get some idea.

i admit he had no need to change tactics on saturday , but lets face it he picked the right team including cureton who scored.

[quote user="singing canary"]

how do you know gunn wouldnt have changed the tactics if we were losing .

hes worked under enough and with enough managers to get some idea.

i admit he had no need to change tactics on saturday , but lets face it he picked the right team including cureton who scored.

[/quote]Well that''s just it - you don''t know as he has no prior experience.  The one game he had was superb, but it''s no guarantee that he''ll be able to help our first 11 unlock tougher teams who don''t fall apart in the second half.  If you were making the decision for our club, 2 points above the bottom 3, would you take the risk ?

[quote user="Bigus"]

Reasons why...

1: If he fails he will be the first to step down as he loves the club and would want to stay on in some capacity. He aslo has the clubs interests at heart.

3: The players seem to like him and happy players score goals and win games: See Saturday.

5: Understands what the supporters and the players need. He has been at the club long enough to know.

I don''t see a downside actually. Let him carry on... If it goes wrong, he steps down, hire a new man.

-Bigus

[/quote]

I get it now, you are trying to finish Wiz off [:D]

to be honest i dont know, i would give him a month , and have someone lined up if he failed.

but saying that , i think the board have made bigger risks in the previous two managers , so i cant see he would be any worse.

i would certainly give the bloke some chance , purely for how much effort and what hes put into the club over the years .

[quote user="Bigus"]

Reasons why...

-Bigus

[/quote]

Would agree on all points however being so close to the relegation zone, it may be too much of a risk. However if it''s between Rioch or Colin Calderwood and Gunny, then Gunny should definitely get the nod. If it''s against those with good Championship experience with notable success in this league such as Dowie or Boothroyd, then giving it to Gunny may be too big a gamble.

Marvelous effort by Gunny on Saturday but realistically, when managers such as Boothroyd are being touted around, I really don''t think Gunny''s going to be in the running.  As giving him the job until the end of the season, why wait?  Let''s get someone in permanently as soon as possible.

giving GUNN a chance is perfect if it all goes tits up the fans won''t be singing gunny out it''ll be DELIA OUT, come on bbrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

To be fair on Saturday anyone could of done what Gunny done because the whole club was lifted, the players felt free of the shackles because the pillock Roeder wasn''t about to dampen the mood and demotivate!

Also the fact that Barnsley are nearly always powderpuff opposition!

That said I''m sure Gunny would create more team unity and be able to motivate sufficiently, so I wouldn''t be against Gunny staying till the end of the season. Afterall why not wait until the end of the season cause our last 2 disasterous appointments have been done mid season and if the players are kept happy then we''re more than capable of staying particularly if some additions are made to the squad - Hucks springs to mind! 

agreed , yet he really must have got the players going and its obvious the players like and respect him , of which is half the battle.

i would certainly have him in some coaching role , management role , he is good for the team spirit .

I''m inclined to agree with Bigus. We only have 18 games left. We have a pretty talented squad right now that has been hampered by Roeder until now.  This is unlike when Grant left, where Roeder inherited an absolutely awful team.  We have players who can play and succeed at this level, it was just GR douchebaggery that kept us down.  Someone like Gunny would make the players happy, which should lead to improved results.  I think the risk of relegation increases as you add more "unknowns" into the equation.  Gunny is not an unknown, and even someone like Boothroyd would need some time to acclimate himself to our team.

Its too late in the season to expect immediate miracles from an outsider.  I say give it to Gunny if he wants it.  If he sees it going south, he''ll step aside far quicker than any hired guns we could find now.

The fact is that we have thrashed Barnsley at home on several occasions in recent years and i suspect that with roeder having gone that team would have played well under anyone who is not a complete a**ehole! I am not that sure he got the team spot on either. Had Roeder played Russell up front again he would have got no end of stick. what he did do however was have them up for it and he obviously gave a decent half time team talk as we improved a lot after the break.

As has been satted above though you cannot say it is win/win as if it goes wrong we will get relegated and may never recover. As much as I would love to see Gunn succeed its just too big a risk IMHO!

To all the comments on relegation please see point 1 again.

If Gunn carries on now and we lose the next 2 games then hire someone else, but currently we have a man in charge who cares, players who want to play for him and happy fans. A new man is change again and that may also bring relegation. I say leave it as is and see what happens.

Well thats your view and you are entitled to take that view. As stated above I tend to disagree. Main reasons:

1. These next 2 games are massive and if we were to lose them we would be right back in the s**t.

2. If you leave it another 2 games we will be bringing someone in right as the transfer window closes with no chance to try and get in their own players.

I think if a new man is in for the Saints game we would have another great atmosphere as it would be the new manager''s first game and they tend to do ok in those!

[quote user="Bigus"]

To all the comments on relegation please see point 1 again.

If Gunn carries on now and we lose the next 2 games then hire someone else, but currently we have a man in charge who cares, players who want to play for him and happy fans. A new man is change again and that may also bring relegation. I say leave it as is and see what happens.

[/quote]So you would deny any new manager any chance to work within the January transfer window ?

My first choice would be Boothroyd but Gunny has to be right up there, purely because he has the right character to be a manager [and a good one] most of the other candidates in the running don''t.Remember, I''m the guy who warned you about Grant''s character and I''m the guy who warned you about Roeder''s character and got slagged off for it at the timeNo doubt the board will get it all wrong again and employ an arrogant f@ckwit with no man-management skills like Ince, based on the fact he has Premiership experience

[quote user="Phil E Stein"]I think a semicomatose African Grey Parrot would have more idea about team selections and tactics than our ex manager did.[/quote]

Without incurring the wrath of the RSPCA, can you give me some tips on semicomatose African Grey Parrots please. How, specifically, can I tell if my  African Grey Parrot is semi or fully comatose? It doesn''t move much and when it squarks it usually  comes out with rubbish like "we played them off the park, it''s just unlucky that we let in 3 goals with their 25 shots. all their players have been watching the premiership on tv and I wouldn''t be surprised if  a few of them havn''t been watching some of the Champions League also, it''s not fair"

[quote user="Jim Smith"]

The fact is that we have thrashed Barnsley at home on several occasions in recent years and i suspect that with roeder having gone that team would have played well under anyone who is not a complete a**ehole! I am not that sure he got the team spot on either. Had Roeder played Russell up front again he would have got no end of stick. what he did do however was have them up for it and he obviously gave a decent half time team talk as we improved a lot after the break.

As has been satted above though you cannot say it is win/win as if it goes wrong we will get relegated and may never recover. As much as I would love to see Gunn succeed its just too big a risk IMHO!

[/quote]Agree those sentiments - but not the final conclusion, Jim. Any manager could get us relegated - and IMHO I think a "stranger" (Ince, Jewell etc) stands a better chance of doing so. As you imply by, (or I infer from) your comments, the team are good enough to do it on their own - provided anyone with Roeder''s man-management skills is not allowed within a mile of the club. So wouldn''t Gunny manage that until the end of the season? (But some involvement by Crooky is still my preference!).

@Blahblahblah.

That''s right. I''d let Gunn sign another centre back and a forward and go with what we have got. I like our midfield and think there is some depth there. Gunn should put some faith in Cureton and Lupoli and bring a new foward in to add to Cort on the bench. Add another centre back to cover injury and to add competition and go with that. This team was underachieving under Roeder and we all know what they are capable of .

i agree with you john , allthough ince didnt really have alot of premiership experience, and what little he had was at the bottom of the premiership and he didnt do to well at all.

i certainly wouldnt want ince, i think gunn could do a much better job.

[quote user="singing canary"]

to be honest i dont know, i would give him a month , and have someone lined up if he failed.

but saying that , i think the board have made bigger risks in the previous two managers , so i cant see he would be any worse.

i would certainly give the bloke some chance , purely for how much effort and what hes put into the club over the years .

[/quote]

That''s exactly what I think.

Both players and fans (and the media) seem to have responded to him well . Even if it''s a new manager syndrome, it might list for a couple more games. He will step down easily, and we can enjoy the benefis of the NMS twice. On the other hand, if it does not work out well with, say, Ince, it will be much more difficult to try somebody else.  

[quote user="Bigus"]

@Blahblahblah.

That''s right. I''d let Gunn sign another centre back and a forward and go with what we have got. I like our midfield and think there is some depth there. Gunn should put some faith in Cureton and Lupoli and bring a new foward in to add to Cort on the bench. Add another centre back to cover injury and to add competition and go with that. This team was underachieving under Roeder and we all know what they are capable of .

[/quote]

That''s fair enough Bigus, whoever comes in needs to be backed to allow us to cater for the possibility of injuries over the next 18 matches.  The first 11 are a mid-table side I''d say, and they all want to work for Gunn, if all thie team needs is to like the manager, them great - job done.  To give him the job, lose the next couple and then have to look for someone else could be a disaster though.

[quote user="Bigus"]

Reasons why...

[/quote]If he fails, we''ll be in League One!  This is not the time to learn how to manage a football club!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]If he fails, we''ll be in League One!  This is not the time to learn how to manage a football club![/quote]That''s the same for ANY manager that comes in...