Sign in to follow this  
SwindonCanary

Boothroyd say the New of the World !

Todays news of the world.

Former Watford boss lined up to take Carrow Road hotseat

AIDY BOOTHROYD - target

By AIDAN MAGEE,

17/01/2009

AIDY BOOTHROYD will this week be appointed new manager of Norwich.

The ex-Watford boss has told friends the job is his after Northern Ireland

chief Nigel Worthington turned down the chance to return to Carrow Road.

Boothroyd (below), 37, has been out of the game since being sacked by the

Hornets in November. He is now the Canaries top choice to take over from

Glenn Roeder and plans to raid his old club for assistant Malky Mackay.

The Scot helped guide Norwich to promotion to the Premier League as a player

five years ago.

Roeder was sacked last week after three wins in 15 and losing 1-0 at home to

Charlton in the FA Cup.

Well we all know how the tabloids like to tell porkies but i really do pray that for once they are not and that they are telling the truth.

I''d be chuffed if he ended up getting the job I really would! Especially if he brings Malky back with him!

[quote user="swindoncanary"]Todays news of the world.

AIDY BOOTHROYD - target

The ex-Watford boss has told friends the job is his after Northern Ireland chief Nigel Worthington turned down the chance to return to Carrow Road.

Boothroyd (below), 37, has been out of the game since being sacked by the Hornets in November. He is now the Canaries top choice to take over from Glenn Roeder and plans to raid his old club for assistant Malky Mackay.

The Scot helped guide Norwich to promotion to the Premier League as a player five years ago.

Roeder was sacked last week after three wins in 15 and losing 1-0 at home to Charlton in the FA Cup.

[/quote]

Poor old Doncaster!  It sort of buggers his carefully crafted shortlist doesn''t it?

Plus Munby''s call to Ireland.

Makes you wonder who is running the shop.[:|]

I honestly think that if we offer him the job he would come here but knowing our board they probably wont even approach him and that is what really worries me

Given, what we can realistically get, Boothroyd is a good choice.Boothroyd and Makay together is damn near the dream ticket as far as I''m concerned.

I can''t undersrstand why everyone wants Boothroyd. Watford had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation.  It is a genuine question rather than a point - but I am struggling to see why he is such a popular choice.

He''s not my first choice, but I would give anyone chosen a chance and get behind them 100% until they created the sort of mess as seen by the previous manager.

I am not convinced by Aidy''s style of play but hope that if he were appointed he could adapt to passing football if as has been reported in the past, he used hoofball due to the quality of his squad. Would back Malky''s return purely for inspirational and leadership quality alone.

[quote user="Badger"]
I can''t undersrstand why everyone wants Boothroyd. Watford had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation. 

It is a genuine question rather than a point - but I am struggling to see why he is such a popular choice.
[/quote]

Y''mean like the board''s alleged approach to Worthy?

Norwich had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation. 

I''d be pleased I think. His tenure at Watford was a mixed bag for sure but that constitutes experience doesn''t it? Of course we''re assuming he''d include Malky, which we''d all like to see.

A caveat to my post should be the confession that I was happy with Roeder''s appointment.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Badger"]I can''t undersrstand why everyone wants Boothroyd. Watford had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation.  It is a genuine question rather than a point - but I am struggling to see why he is such a popular choice. [/quote]

Norwich had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation. 

[/quote]Exactly. His record is no better than Worthington''s (arguably worse) ans some would say that there are there are other factors against him.I don''t want Worthington back and would support Boothroyd if he was appointed. However,  I can''t see why he is such a popular choice, especially when many, like yourself, identify the similarity with Worthington.

[quote user="Badger"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Badger"]
I can''t undersrstand why everyone wants Boothroyd. Watford had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation. 

It is a genuine question rather than a point - but I am struggling to see why he is such a popular choice.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. His record is no better than Worthington''s (arguably worse) ans some would say that there are there are other factors against him.

I don''t want Worthington back and would support Boothroyd if he was appointed. However,  I can''t see why he is such a popular choice, especially when many, like yourself, identify the similarity with Worthington.

[/quote]

My thoughts too Badger. Was saying this yesterday before the match. Boothroyd inherited a very good Watford team (Ashley Young, Marlon King etc) . Struggled in the Premiership and then couldn''t cut it on a shoestring in the Championship.

Would he be the right man to inherit the squad we have and with little prospect of money to spend?

Bringing Malky with him will help and endear City fans towards him and to be honest would rather see Boothroyd than Ince, Worthy, Dowie etc.

Personally though would rather see someone like Robins, Bowen or Crook given a chance with an experienced coach.

[quote user="Patriot15"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Badger"]I can''t undersrstand why everyone wants Boothroyd. Watford had one good year, were totally outclassed in the premier and woefully underperformed upon relegation.  It is a genuine question rather than a point - but I am struggling to see why he is such a popular choice. [/quote]

[/quote]Exactly. His record is no better than Worthington''s (arguably worse) ans some would say that there are there are other factors against him.I don''t want Worthington back and would support Boothroyd if he was appointed. However,  I can''t see why he is such a popular choice, especially when many, like yourself, identify the similarity with Worthington.[/quote]

My thoughts too Badger. Was saying this yesterday before the match. Boothroyd inherited a very good Watford team (Ashley Young, Marlon King etc) . Struggled in the Premiership and then couldn''t cut it on a shoestring in the Championship.

Would he be the right man to inherit the squad we have and with little prospect of money to spend?

Bringing Malky with him will help and endear City fans towards him and to be honest would rather see Boothroyd than Ince, Worthy, Dowie etc.

Personally though would rather see someone like Robins, Bowen or Crook given a chance with an experienced coach.

[/quote]

Actually, Marlon King was bought from Forest by Boothroyd, not inherited. And while Young was brought into the first team by Ray Lewington, it was under Aidy that he began to be successful.

Boothroyd apparently has many admirers within the game. When working with the youth teams it was pure football all the way but of course all managers use the long ball at times.

What I like about the reports is that it he sounds like a good motivator and man manager this attribute together with Malky, could just be the team we need for now and more importantly for the future

I reckon we could do a heck of a lot worse than Boothroyd - especially if he brings Malky with him!

boothroyd and malky - realistically all we can afford,,,and a good positive pairing...the ''after worthington turned norwich down'' comments are truely cringeworthy - and show the board for what they really are...but unless - we can get a new right back in (semmy is way off at the mo) an experienced man in at CB to pair up with the doc, and a proven forward - you could put alex fergie in the naaarwich hot seat and he would struggle...whoever come here has to properly and credibly backed by the board in what is left in the jan tranny window...which they failed to do for poor ole roedy last season///''keeping powder dry'' my @rse...donny''s black hole gobbled it all up!!!

Yep I can quite believe Aidy''s been given the job providing he agreed to deny that he had been approached by Norwich ! Job done and an excellent cover for a short list that doesn''t exist !!! Oh, how sceptical I have become.[;)]

[quote user="TheMarshmallowMonkey"][quote user="Patriot15"][quote user="Badger"][quote user="Mello Yello"]

[quote user="Badger"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Exactly. His record is no better than Worthington''s (arguably worse) ans some would say that there are there are other factors against him.

I don''t want Worthington back and would support Boothroyd if he was appointed. However,  I can''t see why he is such a popular choice, especially when many, like yourself, identify the similarity with Worthington.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Actually, Marlon King was bought from Forest by Boothroyd, not inherited. And while Young was brought into the first team by Ray Lewington, it was under Aidy that he began to be successful.

[/quote]

...and Ashley Young was only 19 when AB took over so you could say he had a fair bit to do with bringing him on, only for him to be sold during the Prem season. [Per the ''wiki bible'': "Under Boothroyd, Young was given a new lease of life..."]. 

It is also interesting that Watford getting to the play-offs upon relegation is seen as being ''unable to cut it''.

AB is not perfect, but imo is by far the best option that we are being linked with - particularly if he can bring Malky...they would be people the supporters could easily get behind from the off. 

What has to be remembered is that Watford HAD too sell  players thus undermining and progress Boothroyd had made and could continue to make. As I''ve stated a former NCFC player has told me that Boothroyd has the job.

I''m with badger on this. He doesn''t have an amazing record. He did exactly what worthy did. And while i would back him if he came and think he could get us out of this relegation scrap, i''m not sure i fancy playing like Watford did under him. Then again i guess we can''t afford to pick and choose our styles of play anymore. :(

[quote user="Camuldonum"][quote user="swindoncanary"]Todays news of the world.

AIDY BOOTHROYD - target

The ex-Watford boss has told friends the job is his after Northern Ireland chief Nigel Worthington turned down the chance to return to Carrow Road.

Boothroyd (below), 37, has been out of the game since being sacked by the Hornets in November. He is now the Canaries top choice to take over from Glenn Roeder and plans to raid his old club for assistant Malky Mackay.

The Scot helped guide Norwich to promotion to the Premier League as a player five years ago.

Roeder was sacked last week after three wins in 15 and losing 1-0 at home to Charlton in the FA Cup.

[/quote]

Poor old Doncaster!  It sort of buggers his carefully crafted shortlist doesn''t it?

Plus Munby''s call to Ireland.

Makes you wonder who is running the shop.[:|]

[/quote]

Rule number one: NEVER believe anything you read in the News Of The World, and certainly don''t use it as a stick to beat the club with!

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]Yep I can quite believe Aidy''s been given the job providing he agreed to deny that he had been approached by Norwich ! Job done and an excellent cover for a short list that doesn''t exist !!! Oh, how sceptical I have become.[;)][/quote]

It''s quite easy to imagine Bothroyd saying to friends "that job''s mine". It could mean ''I''ve been offered the job'' or it could mean ''that job''s got my name written all over it'' or it could mean ''I''m after that job''.

Take any of those meanings and put it in the hands of a NotW reporter and what do you have?

[quote user="Canary Pirate"]Yep I can quite believe Aidy''s been given the job providing he agreed to deny that he had been approached by Norwich ! Job done and an excellent cover for a short list that doesn''t exist !!! Oh, how sceptical I have become.[;)][/quote]

It''s quite easy to imagine Bothroyd saying to friends "that job''s mine". It could mean ''I''ve been offered the job'' or it could mean ''that job''s got my name written all over it'' or it could mean ''I''m after that job''.

Take any of those meanings and put it in the hands of a NotW reporter and what do you have?

[quote user="lucky green trainers"]

the ''after worthington turned norwich down'' comments are truely cringeworthy - and show the board for what they really are...

[/quote]

Hasn''t Robins also turned Norwich down?

Hes got to be the best option for the club!

What I like about him is he got Watford promoted when they had way less funds than we have so we shouldn''t have him moaning about the lack of funds holding him back!

[quote user="grantroederdisaster"]

Hes got to be the best option for the club!

What I like about him is he got Watford promoted when they had way less funds than we have so we shouldn''t have him moaning about the lack of funds holding him back!

[/quote]If he were to be appointed, I wouldn''t bet on it!

If you had met him (adi) and seen him working on the training ground you would have a different opinion. He is exceptional.