Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

My case for Gunny

[quote user="Grando"]I think there''s a danger of over-aggrandising the motivational effect Gunny had on Saturday - let''s face it, most teams manage to mysteriously win the game after the manager''s been sacked. It''s one of those football things. I''m not knocking Gunny, but judging him on that last game is naive.[/quote]

Exactly.  I`d love to see the stats for the results of clubs immediately after sacking unpopular, failing managers- i bet they would be astoundingly positive.  Just think back to the positive impact a certain public enemy no.1 with the initials GR made not so long ago......

It seems the board made a very good choice in who to put in charge on Sat. as it married the normal "thank f*ck he`s gone" bounce with having an affable, popular, "one of our own" in charge.  Let`s face it, had Roeder still been in charge the atmos. would have been poison after that first half; instead it was positive and supportive.  Sorry, but that is unlikely to last.  He is probably the opposite to Roeder as a person but that in itself can present problems.  Would the players take good old up for a laugh Gunny seriously long-term?  I doubt it.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s not irrelevant who we get at all. The situation we are in makes it all the more important we pick the right person, and I consider experience in management - as in knowing what day to day management is all about - beyond match days and the things every fan sees - to be a key part of the right person''s make up.Your example is very one sided and proves nothing.  Here''s another:a) Bryan Gunnb) Sir Alex FergusonNot helpful.[/quote]The example is not particularly one-sided when you consider that threads have already been made on the forums suggesting Robson, and that he''s managed at this level before with Sheff Utd.I gave a comparison between Gunn and another viable candidate, you didn''t.The fact is that you can have shedloads of experience but if the squad you have is only really suited to playing a particular way in very limited formation options, combined with the fact that you have virtually no cash to change this - what can all this experience actually do?Therefore the main factor at the minute is getting the best out of the players you have and keeping them motivated, how many people do you genuinely feel are going to be better at this for us than Gunny?This is not a debate about managerial credentials, simply about what we need in our current position, and what we desperately need is someone the players and fans can relate to, who knows what the club is about and is likely to give the players the confidence they need to play better.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]It''s not irrelevant who we get at all. The situation we are in makes it all the more important we pick the right person, and I consider experience in management - as in knowing what day to day management is all about - beyond match days and the things every fan sees - to be a key part of the right person''s make up.

Your example is very one sided and proves nothing.  Here''s another:

a) Bryan Gunn
b) Sir Alex Ferguson

Not helpful.
[/quote]The example is not particularly one-sided when you consider that threads have already been made on the forums suggesting Robson, and that he''s managed at this level before with Sheff Utd.

I gave a comparison between Gunn and another viable candidate, you didn''t.

The fact is that you can have shedloads of experience but if the squad you have is only really suited to playing a particular way in very limited formation options, combined with the fact that you have virtually no cash to change this - what can all this experience actually do?

Therefore the main factor at the minute is getting the best out of the players you have and keeping them motivated, how many people do you genuinely feel are going to be better at this for us than Gunny?

This is not a debate about managerial credentials, simply about what we need in our current position, and what we desperately need is someone the players and fans can relate to, who knows what the club is about and is likely to give the players the confidence they need to play better.
[/quote]

I''ve met Gunn on several occasions. He''s a lovely bloke and I have no doubt that having him in the dressing room instead of Roeder was a breath of fresh air. However as has been said above teams virtually always win the game after an unpopular manager leaves. We cannot and should not read too much into Saturday''s performance.

How do you know that once the euphoria has died down he will be better at getting the best out of our players long term? Players respond to different things and some may respond to a nice bloke but many are also like school kids and need a bit of discipline as well. Will they fully respect a man with no managerial or coaching experience?

At the end of the day it will be up to the board and as I have said above if he gets it I really hope he succeeds and he has my backing all the way. I will still however be deeply uneasy at what i would perceive to be a massive risk.

If I remember correctly GR started off with a draw and two losses, Jim Duffy didn''t exactly have a great impact after Grant either, those who would be happy with Gunny aren''t judging that opinion on one single victory but for the character of the guy himself, we could do a lot worse, Ince for instance would be like the son of Roeder [another arrogant tw@t with no man-management skills]

the "lacks experience" bit gets on my wick to be honest.. its like an interview for a normal job "Sorry, we can''t offer you the job, you have no experience"

How do you get experience unless someone is prepared to give it to you? i have asked that at every interview i have been rejected for and have yet to meet anyone who can answer that question..... people sometimes need to take a risk.. nothing ventured, nothing gained in this life im afraid....

jas :)

[quote user="Jim Smith"]This thread is exactly what I feared. It was ONE GAME and one game against a team we have put about 25 goals past in the last 7 games against them. We probably could have played without a manager and the players would still have performed. I''m not saying Gunn will never make a manager but why has he not gone into management anywhere so far in the years since he stopped playing? Why has he never done any proper coaching anywhere? I would venture to suggest its because he did not think himself (football) management material

Forest won most of their games under their caretaker manager but did they appoint him? No they didn''t - they went for experience and so should we in my view. If he gets it then fine I will back him but some of the hysteria on here today is knee-jerk to say the least! Normally that would not bother me but knowing Delia she will probably buy into it as well!
[/quote]

Bloody well said Jim.

Say NO to Gunn!.

[quote user="1st Wizard"]

[quote user="Jim Smith"]This thread is exactly what I feared. It was ONE GAME and one game against a team we have put about 25 goals past in the last 7 games against them. We probably could have played without a manager and the players would still have performed. I''m not saying Gunn will never make a manager but why has he not gone into management anywhere so far in the years since he stopped playing? Why has he never done any proper coaching anywhere? I would venture to suggest its because he did not think himself (football) management material

Forest won most of their games under their caretaker manager but did they appoint him? No they didn''t - they went for experience and so should we in my view. If he gets it then fine I will back him but some of the hysteria on here today is knee-jerk to say the least! Normally that would not bother me but knowing Delia she will probably buy into it as well!
[/quote]

Bloody well said Jim.

Say NO to Gunn!.

[/quote]

Have to agree. Like Jim I''ve met Gunny socially and agree that he''s a smashing bloke, but he''s shown no inclination to manage thus far and has no experience. As many posters have noted, the first game after the departure of an unpopular manager is always emotional, and more often than not results in a win. The fact is that,as I posted on Saturday morning, the Barnsley game would have little to do with form or tactics but everything to do with guts and desire. That can get you through one game, or maybe a few, but at some point the adrenalin rush abates and you have to start thinking about formations and how to exploit teams'' weaknesses while protecting you own. That is why experience is so vital and why we can''t afford to stake the club''s future on an emotional whim. Appointing Gunny would be a disaster both for the club and him.

There comes a time when you''ve got to stand up & be counted.Gunn has been with the club for years now in one capacity or another.   To say that he doesn''t know anything about management is a pretty sweeping statement - he''s seen a fair few managers come & go and by now he should have a pretty good idea of what management styles work and which ones don''t.   With regards to tactics, he''s been out on the pitch, he''s coached as a GK coach and again, he''s been there when the times were good and the times weren''t so good.Perhaps now he feels that it''s time he made the step up - he''s been in the shadows for a long time now but this is a peculiar case and it might just be the right time for him to stake his claim.    He''s no fool and I''m sure he''s very aware of the fact that he could put his reputation on the line and that if things don''t go right for him then he''s going to suffer the consequences -  I don''t believe for one minute that he believes otherwise.   I for one am not sure he is ready for the role but perhaps he would be an ideal man to have in there as a major part of the management set-up.    However if he does get the role then you''ve got to admit that whatever your feelings, he''s got big brass balls as he''s putting himself up to be shot down in flames - and that takes a great deal of courage.Of course, we don''t have a clue what''s going on behind the boardroom doors right now - perhaps he''s already been told by the club that they''re not going to consider him for the role of manager - perhaps he''s already been in for his interview.   Whatever happens, the man is and always will be a legend at the club and he gets my full support whatever choice he makes.

I''m likening our Gunny situation with that of West Ham''s Trevor Brooking scenario a few seasons back. He didn''t get the job, and I dont think Gunny will either. Possibly a good thing, I don''t want him forced out the club in 6 months time.

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

the "lacks experience" bit gets on my wick to be honest.. its like an interview for a normal job "Sorry, we can''t offer you the job, you have no experience"

How do you get experience unless someone is prepared to give it to you? i have asked that at every interview i have been rejected for and have yet to meet anyone who can answer that question..... people sometimes need to take a risk.. nothing ventured, nothing gained in this life im afraid....

[/quote]

What jobs were you going for then Jaz, bottle washer or surgeon? You build up the experience by working your way up or getting qualifications or working voluntarily! Gunny get the experience by being no.2 somewhere, taking the hard decision to leave City and get a managers job at Woking or somewhere. That''s how it works. Giving someone a chance depends on whether it really matters if someone fails.

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

What jobs were you going for then Jaz, bottle washer or surgeon? You build up the experience by working your way up or getting qualifications or working voluntarily! Gunny get the experience by being no.2 somewhere, taking the hard decision to leave City and get a managers job at Woking or somewhere. That''s how it works. Giving someone a chance depends on whether it really matters if someone fails.[/quote]Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time, opportunity knocks but once, Gunny will know that and the board obviously have trust in his character, if they didn''t he wouldn''t have been here for 22yrs, he will be on their list and pretty close to the top, good luck to the guy, other than Boothroyd I hope he gets it

[quote user="SPat"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote] What jobs were you going for then Jaz, bottle washer or surgeon? You build up the experience by working your way up or getting qualifications or working voluntarily! Gunny get the experience by being no.2 somewhere, taking the hard decision to leave City and get a managers job at Woking or somewhere. That''s how it works. Giving someone a chance depends on whether it really matters if someone fails.[/quote]

nothing fancy job wise.. but sitting behind a college desk getting qualifications doesn''t get you experience.. i dont care what anyone says... would you take on someone who had done the job 5 years or someone fresh out of uni who can talk the talk but never walked the walk?

Voluntary work is fine if you dont have bills to pay or a family to feed...

all it is is job market ignorance....employers use the word "Experience" without really sitting down and thinking about what the word means and how people can get it.. theres only so many experieanced people in the world you can call upon.... theres thousands willing to learn.....

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="Fife Canary"]

Alot of interesting points and up until Saturday I was very much for Boothroyd/Malky but for Gunn to come in and get what would appear to be a deserved victory of 4-0 it just shows how poor a manager Rodent was.

I''m moving towards the appointment of Gunn maybe on a deal until the end of the season and re-assess then. The problem the board have now is IF Gunn wants the job there isn''t a couple more match''s to find out if it really was a one off.

Maybe give Gunn 2 more games then make the call, bearing in mind your interviews can be carried out this week and next?

[/quote]Well they are going to give him one more at least, as he will be in charge against Southampton.[/quote]

Says who? I think there will either be an outside appointment in place by Friday or Gunny will be given the job till the end of the season. Personally I think they''ll go for an outside appointment personally.

[quote user="John Boubepo"][quote user="SPat"][quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote] What jobs were you going for then Jaz, bottle washer or surgeon? You build up the experience by working your way up or getting qualifications or working voluntarily! Gunny get the experience by being no.2 somewhere, taking the hard decision to leave City and get a managers job at Woking or somewhere. That''s how it works. Giving someone a chance depends on whether it really matters if someone fails.[/quote]

Sometimes you just need to be in the right place at the right time, opportunity knocks but once, Gunny will know that and the board obviously have trust in his character, if they didn''t he wouldn''t have been here for 22yrs, he will be on their list and pretty close to the top, good luck to the guy, other than Boothroyd I hope he gets it
[/quote]

Yes 22years

Good player.

Moved from one job to another ever since. Like the Vicar of Bray managed to keep "in" with whoever was in charge.

Good judge? He liked Roeder for friths sake! Cried when he left. I cried tears of joy.

Lovely guy...that''s been his job and made a lot of money at it. Never had to be anything else. Yes I knew Gunny socially as well.

By all means let him earn his corn by helping prepare the team, maybe eventually a no.2  but manager?not at this stage.

The euphoric state of the crowd on saturday Delia could have managed the team and won.

Why did his decision to play a midfielder up front win approval when Roeder get pilloried for it.

Great win lets leave it at that and get someone properly qualified, if they have an idea about Norwich history and how the club works,even better.

Roeder removed just about every link with the past that existed.  Tradition is going to be hard to "start" again.

Everyone keeps banging on about how Gunn motivated everyone blah blah - do you all forget that there were TWO OTHER COACHES helping the team this week - whos to say Gunn actualy did anything to help the win?FFS it was one win with the team in a mood to take on the world - it was a one off.

I had no experience but demonstrated enough for them to take me on to learn damn fast.  Perhaps you are just not good enough?[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

[/quote]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]Unless we can get a recognised name who''s been in this position before and has a good history across more than a year or so, then I''d rather give Gunny the chance and get him the more experienced head as assistant. No reason why Chippy couldn''t perform that role admirably...[/quote]Guess the board were thinking along the same lines as I was, but then added to it with Dixie as well.At least in my case I can''t complain that the board didn''t listen to my opinion on the selection...I wonder if this triumvirate of legends can truly bring back ''classic'' Norwich football from the mid 80''s to early 90''s era, and get the current squad playing attractive, passing football that actually gets results?