Sign in to follow this  
No Quarter

My case for Gunny

I know that I will be soooo shot down in flames for this, but........I don''t really care.  Let me start off by stating that I was against Bryan being manager before Saturday, as I didn''t think he''d be up to the job.  However, following one of the most enjoyable days at Carrow Road for quite some time, I''ve been pondering on this all day.  My reasons for BG getting the top job is thus.  Ahem....

1)   If a football manager''s task is to motivate the players, then Gunny achieved this in droves on Saturday.  After shaking off the remains of Roeder'' evil in the first half, the players went on to put in one of the most confident performances I have seen for ages.  And lets not forget, he didnt just motivate the players, his presence completely changed the entire atmosphere of Carrow Road.  It was back to being a fun placet o be, and if 24,000 odd people felt like that, how the hell did the players feel (well we know that, we won 4-0)

2)   If a football manager''s task is to be tacically aware, then he too proved to be no fool in this department either.  He allowed the flair players, to do just that.  Play with flair.  His substitutions were made at the right points of the match, and the substitutions were the correct ones.  Bell, finally, got to play on the right hand side, and suprise suprise, the best crosser in the club on his correct foot, put in an inch perfect cross for Rusty''s fourth. Hoolahan had his best game for the club, and Jamie was sniffing out everything.  And the arm round the shoulder of Jamie as he left the pitch spoke volumes.

3)   People are saying "he isnt ready".  What is ready? I say, he has been involved with THIS club for 22 years.  He knows the club, as well as the players inside out.  He has witnessed the sackings of all the previous managers.  He knows why they were sacked (deep down), and would surely have learned from their mistakes.  He is most definately ready.

4) People say "he lacks experience".  If by that, people mean he hasn''t been fired for underperforming at other clubs, then fair enough.  However, we al know that Gunny comes with vast footballing experience.  Working under Alex Ferguson at Arberdeen.  Being a key team member during our incredible finishes in the Premiership.  Being a key member in our UEFA cup run, and then being a key member when we got relegated from the premiership.  Not at "big" clubs, but at Norwich City.  If anybody knows the importance of team spirit and an "all for one, one for all" attitude then it''s Bryan. Sure we had good players, but it was the spirit in the team that brought us success.

It annoys me when people say he''s not up to the job.  How does anybody knows how good a manger will be at a club until they manage?  It''s not like commenting on a player, as you can physically see their plus points or negative points in front of you.  Everybody thought Curbishley was brilliant. Didn''t do a great job at West Ham though, same for Allardyce at Newcastle.  It all comes down to how the Manager is seen/respected by the players at the particular club at the particular time, and if Saturday is to go by, Gunny has won the big battle already.  The players respect him and the crowd love him.  This is a time for the club to stick together and have some unity.  This is what will keep us up (as well as another striker obviously).  GUNN IN!!  

I thank you........(time to take cover!!)

You''ve made some very interesting and valid points, though my biggest argument is still that I would hate to see turn sour and then end up in a situation where people are chanting for Gunn to go etc. That is not a pleasant thought.

i dont think its anything against gunny.its purely an argument of experience i think.and he admittedly lacks it. but having someone behind him perhaps??? then yes.and as for everything else, i totally agreethe questions to be asked though1) can we get an experienced bloke alongside him?2) does gunn want it? truly feel ready for it?

A relegation battle is what we are in and it is asking a lot to put anyone in the position of manager who has never ever managed a club. If results start to go against us at any stage he has no experience to fall back on to help him.

I am not saying he won''t make a good manager, I don''t know, just that I feel it is too much to ask of him. Saturday was great but I feel we are getting carried away on the relief and emotion of the day.

[quote user="No Quarter"]

I know that I will be soooo shot down in flames for this, but........I don''t really care.  Let me start off by stating that I was against Bryan being manager before Saturday, as I didn''t think he''d be up to the job.  However, following one of the most enjoyable days at Carrow Road for quite some time, I''ve been pondering on this all day.  My reasons for BG getting the top job is thus.  Ahem....

1)   If a football manager''s task is to motivate the players, then Gunny achieved this in droves on Saturday.  After shaking off the remains of Roeder'' evil in the first half, the players went on to put in one of the most confident performances I have seen for ages.  And lets not forget, he didnt just motivate the players, his presence completely changed the entire atmosphere of Carrow Road.  It was back to being a fun placet o be, and if 24,000 odd people felt like that, how the hell did the players feel (well we know that, we won 4-0)

The players had a point to prove to the club and the fans - it should not have been difficult to motivate them.  In any case, one game in charge is far too soon to make any kind of assessment of his motivational or tactical awareness.  I''m all for him being interviewed, but let''s not hail him as a genius when he sent out a Roederesque formation (and have you forgotten we were crap in the 1st half?)

2)   If a football manager''s task is to be tacically aware, then he too proved to be no fool in this department either.  He allowed the flair players, to do just that.  Play with flair.  His substitutions were made at the right points of the match, and the substitutions were the correct ones.  Bell, finally, got to play on the right hand side, and suprise suprise, the best crosser in the club on his correct foot, put in an inch perfect cross for Rusty''s fourth. Hoolahan had his best game for the club, and Jamie was sniffing out everything.  And the arm round the shoulder of Jamie as he left the pitch spoke volumes.

Actually if you listen to the BBC audio, he says he asked Wes to stick to the left but "Wes didn''t do what he was told."

3)   People are saying "he isnt ready".  What is ready? I say, he has been involved with THIS club for 22 years.  He knows the club, as well as the players inside out.  He has witnessed the sackings of all the previous managers.  He knows why they were sacked (deep down), and would surely have learned from their mistakes.  He is most definately ready.

This is nonsense, sorry.  He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.

4) People say "he lacks experience".  If by that, people mean he hasn''t been fired for underperforming at other clubs, then fair enough.  However, we al know that Gunny comes with vast footballing experience.  Working under Alex Ferguson at Arberdeen.  Being a key team member during our incredible finishes in the Premiership.  Being a key member in our UEFA cup run, and then being a key member when we got relegated from the premiership.  Not at "big" clubs, but at Norwich City.  If anybody knows the importance of team spirit and an "all for one, one for all" attitude then it''s Bryan. Sure we had good players, but it was the spirit in the team that brought us success.

Again, this is basically your above point but knowing that team spirit is important is NOT the same thing as being able to build and maintain team spirit.   And I appreciate he was here for the "glory years," but Bryan Gunn has also been at the club in a professional non-playing capacity and along with the other mainstays has been part of the overall decline of the club from 1995 onwards..

It annoys me when people say he''s not up to the job.  How does anybody knows how good a manger will be at a club until they manage?  It''s not like commenting on a player, as you can physically see their plus points or negative points in front of you.  Everybody thought Curbishley was brilliant. Didn''t do a great job at West Ham though, same for Allardyce at Newcastle.  It all comes down to how the Manager is seen/respected by the players at the particular club at the particular time, and if Saturday is to go by, Gunny has won the big battle already.  The players respect him and the crowd love him.  This is a time for the club to stick together and have some unity.  This is what will keep us up (as well as another striker obviously).  GUNN IN!!  

It depends on what you want to believe.  I think Saturday was about getting shot of Roeder and beating a crap Barnsley side, and the players being relieved they could play without fear again.  I don''t know how much Gunn had to do with that but I would be amazed if we would have played any differently with Puppet Man in charge.  And ultimately, the stakes are too high to give the job to someone who''s never managed a club before.

[/quote]

I think he holds the club in such high regard, he would walk before he was pushed.  He knows the fans too well.  I also meant to say in my OP that Gunny is no mug. Despite his string of dubious "jobs" at Carrow Road, this is the job he would love more than any other.  If he didn''t think he was up to it he wouldn''t put himself forward.   He knows his football, and he obviously has the respect of Ferguson, and that man respects nobody!!  I feel that if Aidy Boothroyd was appointed, it would take several weeks for the players to get to know him and how he operates.  These are weeks that we simply don''t have. The players are so familiar with Gunny and what he stands for, I feel that they would play and fight to the last for him.  If there is any man who could instill the pride, history and passion of this club into the current players, there really is no other option.

Good points, well made. Gunny is a legend here, he did all the right things on Saturday. I, at first was sceptical of the fact he could have a shot at getting the position full time, but why on earth not? It seems the players love him, they want to play for him, how the hell do you get experience? You start somewhere! He has plenty of contacts in the game (we all know who he spoke to before the Barnsley game), he wouldn''t be my first choice but we could do worse!

[quote user="Mister Chops"]He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.[/quote]Fair point,Oh, hang on a minute, that means that if all clubs adopted the same policy we''d never get ANY new managers coming through because no-one would give them a chance until they had more experience, yet no club would be willing to give it to them - catch 22 situation.Don''t get me wrong, I''m not advocating Gunny as the right appointment, but over the last decade I''ve seen some of the biggest names in football, with impressive club histories etc, who then get a great job and make a total hash of it, even with all their ''experience''.Take a look at Souness as Newcastle, Hoddle at Wolves, Bryan Robson (at pretty much anywhere) etc, etc.All big names in the game, all with top level playing experience, and in many cases, with previous management experience, what''s more is that they all had cash to spend, and often bought apallingly (made Grant''s signings seem good value).However, then look at some of the other appointments made such as Vialli who''d had zero management experience before becoming Chelsea boss.You could appoint some of the best managers in the world like Wenger et al, but that wouldn''t guarantee safety, particularly not with our budget...We simply wouldn''t know how well Gunn could do unless he was given the role, and being frank I''d rather appoint someone who gives a damn about this club, than many of the other names being touted about, many of which have fairly unimpressive records elsewhere.Unless we can get a recognised name who''s been in this position before and has a good history across more than a year or so, then I''d rather give Gunny the chance and get him the more experienced head as assistant. No reason why Chippy couldn''t perform that role admirably...

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="No Quarter"]

The players had a point to prove to the club and the fans - it should not have been difficult to motivate them.  In any case, one game in charge is far too soon to make any kind of assessment of his motivational or tactical awareness.  I''m all for him being interviewed, but let''s not hail him as a genius when he sent out a Roederesque formation (and have you forgotten we were crap in the 1st half?)

As I said, we were crap in the first half.  However, Gunny soon shook that Roeder hangover from them and they were great in the second half.  You say Roederesque formation?  We played 442, with the players we have at our disposal.  I cant really think how he could have done anything any different.

Actually if you listen to the BBC audio, he says he asked Wes to stick to the left but "Wes didn''t do what he was told."

It sounded like he was grinning when he said that.

This is nonsense, sorry.  He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.

As I said before, do we need yet another manager who has failed at numerous clubs previously, who has no connection with the club?  We aint getting Jose Moriniho (or however you spell it).

Again, this is basically your above point but knowing that team spirit is important is NOT the same thing as being able to build and maintain team spirit.   And I appreciate he was here for the "glory years," but Bryan Gunn has also been at the club in a professional non-playing capacity and along with the other mainstays has been part of the overall decline of the club from 1995 onwards..

At least we had team spirit Saturday.  How do you know that he wouldn''t maintain that?  I agree with you that he has had some bizarre jobs over the years, but if you''re offered a job for life with your employer, would you turn it down?  Don''t tell me he hasn''t dreamed of managing this club since he retired from playing.

It depends on what you want to believe.  I think Saturday was about getting shot of Roeder and beating a crap Barnsley side, and the players being relieved they could play without fear again.  I don''t know how much Gunn had to do with that but I would be amazed if we would have played any differently with Puppet Man in charge.  And ultimately, the stakes are too high to give the job to someone who''s never managed a club before.

Yes, Saturday was partly about getting shot of Roeder, but also about the feeling like it was Norwich City again.  This was elevated by the presence of Gunny.  This therefore lifted the fans which then lifted the players. What does it matter that he''s never managed a club before?  We have no money for him to play with in the transfer market anyway.  As I''ve said before WHAT IS A GOOD MANAGER??  Someone who has been manager of several clubs but sacked several times?  I think people put too much emphasis on the experience.  It''s relationships with the current players that matter.

[/quote][/quote]

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.[/quote]Fair point,

Oh, hang on a minute, that means that if all clubs adopted the same policy we''d never get ANY new managers coming through because no-one would give them a chance until they had more experience, yet no club would be willing to give it to them - catch 22 situation.

Don''t get me wrong, I''m not advocating Gunny as the right appointment, but over the last decade I''ve seen some of the biggest names in football, with impressive club histories etc, who then get a great job and make a total hash of it, even with all their ''experience''.

Take a look at Souness as Newcastle, Hoddle at Wolves, Bryan Robson (at pretty much anywhere) etc, etc.

All big names in the game, all with top level playing experience, and in many cases, with previous management experience, what''s more is that they all had cash to spend, and often bought apallingly (made Grant''s signings seem good value).

However, then look at some of the other appointments made such as Vialli who''d had zero management experience before becoming Chelsea boss.

You could appoint some of the best managers in the world like Wenger et al, but that wouldn''t guarantee safety, particularly not with our budget...

We simply wouldn''t know how well Gunn could do unless he was given the role, and being frank I''d rather appoint someone who gives a damn about this club, than many of the other names being touted about, many of which have fairly unimpressive records elsewhere.

Unless we can get a recognised name who''s been in this position before and has a good history across more than a year or so, then I''d rather give Gunny the chance and get him the more experienced head as assistant. No reason why Chippy couldn''t perform that role admirably...
[/quote]

Well said.  Zola at West Ham is another one who is doing ok, Pardew at Charlton was a big name who was crap.  Like I keep saying, you cannot quantify a good manager.  I liked the bit about Chippy as well - tasty!!!

This thread is exactly what I feared. It was ONE GAME and one game against a team we have put about 25 goals past in the last 7 games against them. We probably could have played without a manager and the players would still have performed. I''m not saying Gunn will never make a manager but why has he not gone into management anywhere so far in the years since he stopped playing? Why has he never done any proper coaching anywhere? I would venture to suggest its because he did not think himself (football) management materialForest won most of their games under their caretaker manager but did they appoint him? No they didn''t - they went for experience and so should we in my view. If he gets it then fine I will back him but some of the hysteria on here today is knee-jerk to say the least! Normally that would not bother me but knowing Delia she will probably buy into it as well!

No Quarter, you have reflected exactly my feelings since Saturday.

No way did I want Gunny but I am beginning to warm to this.

There have been some damn good points made on this thread for various points of view and I am now totally confused.

My irrational reasoning against Gunny is that I will feel the board will have gone for the cheap easy option.

I think I would prefer a Curbishley, Boothroyd/Malky type appointment but up until this morning my thoughts would have been if Gunny is selected I would be p@ssed off big time. Now I would be reservedly happy!!

[quote user="Jim Smith"]I''m not saying Gunn will never make a manager but why has he not gone into management anywhere so far in the years since he stopped playing? Why has he never done any proper coaching anywhere? I would venture to suggest its because he did not think himself (football) management material[/quote]Maybe you could ask former players such as Andy Gray the same question?Just because someone hasn''t chosen to go into management within a few years of retiring from playing doesn''t mean that they have no ambition to manage or that they don''t have the correct mentality, simply that so far they''ve chosen not to.As for Forest going for experience, fair play to them. Davies did a good job at Preston, and similiarly at Derby - getting them promoted (despite being outclassed in the play-off final but somehow winning), but was then truly awful in the Prem and didn''t even make a good fist of trying to keep them up and promptly quit, but he''ll probably do a fair job for them at this level. However you can''t make a decision based purely on another teams management appointment.MK Dons went for Di Matteo over far more experienced options and they''re currently 2nd in League One - guess they really screwed up that appointment then...

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.[/quote]Fair point,[/quote]No it doesn''t - I expressly said I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.If we were thirteenth with six games of the season to go, I''d be more inclined to favour Gunn''s appointment.  But right now it''s simply too risky a time for it.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.[/quote]Fair point,Oh, hang on a minute, that means that if all clubs adopted the same policy we''d never get ANY new managers coming through because no-one would give them a chance until they had more experience, yet no club would be willing to give it to them - catch 22 situation.

[/quote]

No it doesn''t - I expressly said I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.

If we were thirteenth with six games of the

season to go, I''d be more inclined to favour Gunn''s appointment.  But

right now it''s simply too risky a time for it.

>> If I could only use the "quote" facility properly...

[quote user="Mister Chops"]

No it doesn''t - I expressly said I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.

[/quote]Ok, let me give you an example of this thinking.If you had the two options below, which would you go for:A) Bryan RobsonB) Bryan GunnOne has vast experience, has managed in the Prem and had a superb playing career, the other hasn''t (although I still rate him as one of the best keepers of the time).Now I realise we''re looking at polarities here, and I''m sure you''d actually rather we went with someone in the middle such as Boothroyd et al, but in some ways it''s almost irrelevant who we get in based on our situation.A) We have little to no funds available to improve the squad to any real degreeB) Based on our current squad, we have little option with regards to formation and style of play.C) We need someone with the right personality who will get the best out of the current players, whilst maintaining a good relationship with the fans and the boardSo taking these fairly obvious points into account, the key factor we need at the minute is actually option C, someone who can get the best out of what we have, and I see no reason at all why Gunn wouldn''t be excellent from this perspective.At least until the end of the season he arguably deserves a shot, longer term, possibly not, but that would depend on this performance for the remainder of this year.Until we get bigger finances and conversely a bigger squad, we need a man to work with what we have, not look to sign endless replacements, test crazy formations, or someone who''ll fall back on long ball play. On this basis, Gunn could be exactly what we need...

[quote user="Mister Chops"][quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]He knows the club inside out, but the job of manager?  Watching other people doing something for 22 years is not the same thing as doing it yourself.  I don''t want a manager learning as he goes while we''re in another relegation fight.  By all means make him assistant manager, but don''t give him the reins until he''s ready to take them.[/quote]Fair point,Oh, hang on a minute, that means that if all clubs adopted the same policy we''d never get ANY new managers coming through because no-one would give them a chance until they had more experience, yet no club would be willing to give it to them - catch 22 situation.

[/quote]

>> If I could only use the "quote" facility properly...
[/quote]But surely the risk with a completely new manager is that he wouldn''t know, wouldn''t have any relationship with the players? How long would it take to get a mutual understanding?Also, new managers invariably want to bring in their own players - which is obviously not possible on any sort of scale given the financial restrictions.I don''t actually think there is much wrong with the squad Roeder built up; a quality striker & CB are obviously a priority if progress is to be made, but, even with the present squad, I believe survival is easily attainable.It just needs someone to get the best out of them. I''m beginning to think Gunny could be the man for that job.I also think he''s man enough to go if it isn''t working. He really does have the best interests of the club at heart.

To all pro-Gunnies ( and I can understand the romance of putting him in charge) -

How would you feel if he got the job, started to lose matches by small margins, say 0-1 against southampton and donny, confidence drops again and we''re back in the mire ?  Would you then back him to get us out of it ?  Or would you favour someone who has been there and done that before ?

The problem is that once he''s appointed as manager, he can''t then go back to being the club legend who has filled in everywhere.  Managers have short careers, but as things stand Gunny probably has a job for life with Norwich.

Alot of interesting points and up until Saturday I was very much for Boothroyd/Malky but for Gunn to come in and get what would appear to be a deserved victory of 4-0 it just shows how poor a manager Rodent was.

I''m moving towards the appointment of Gunn maybe on a deal until the end of the season and re-assess then. The problem the board have now is IF Gunn wants the job there isn''t a couple more match''s to find out if it really was a one off.

Maybe give Gunn 2 more games then make the call, bearing in mind your interviews can be carried out this week and next?

Under Roeder we were going down.  No if''s no but''s.  If Gunny can restore the confidence into the players and keep us up then brilliant.  I think appointing an "outsider" would be dangerous.  They would have to get to know the players very, very quickly.  As it stands, the players are playing for the manager, and the crowd are right behind him and them.  Seems the perfect platform for a dogfight if you ask me.

[quote user="Fife Canary"]

Alot of interesting points and up until Saturday I was very much for Boothroyd/Malky but for Gunn to come in and get what would appear to be a deserved victory of 4-0 it just shows how poor a manager Rodent was.

I''m moving towards the appointment of Gunn maybe on a deal until the end of the season and re-assess then. The problem the board have now is IF Gunn wants the job there isn''t a couple more match''s to find out if it really was a one off.

Maybe give Gunn 2 more games then make the call, bearing in mind your interviews can be carried out this week and next?

[/quote]Well they are going to give him one more at least, as he will be in charge against Southampton.

Right. For what it''s worth I have read this thread and just heard the Cureton interview on R5 which included some conversational comments from Saggers and Clem.

I don''t think he should be appointed and i don''t like this ''until the end of the season, temporary approach.

I also worry about this almost messiah like frenzy being built up on this board with other threads supporting Gunny.

I hope the board get it right this time pulease and we see a professional staff put together. After all as said elsewhere, a couple of signings and with the players we have, we should finish half way. The manager and coach will then have a good basis for next season.

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Mister Chops"]

[/quote]Ok, let me give you an example of this thinking.If you had the two options below, which would you go for:A) Bryan RobsonB) Bryan GunnOne has vast experience, has managed in the Prem and had a superb playing career, the other hasn''t (although I still rate him as one of the best keepers of the time).Now I realise we''re looking at polarities here, and I''m sure you''d actually rather we went with someone in the middle such as Boothroyd et al, but in some ways it''s almost irrelevant who we get in based on our situation.

[/quote]It''s not irrelevant who we get at all. The situation we are in makes it all the more important we pick the right person, and I consider experience in management - as in knowing what day to day management is all about - beyond match days and the things every fan sees - to be a key part of the right person''s make up.Your example is very one sided and proves nothing.  Here''s another:a) Bryan Gunnb) Sir Alex FergusonNot helpful.

I think there''s a danger of over-aggrandising the motivational effect Gunny had on Saturday - let''s face it, most teams manage to mysteriously win the game after the manager''s been sacked. It''s one of those football things. I''m not knocking Gunny, but judging him on that last game is naive.

i`m warming to the idea of gunny mainly on the basis that theres not going to  be many additions to the squad so  lets have someone who knows them and what makes them tick, its our best hope..  and i  think the person who pointed out `experience` usually means going from one club to another making a hash of it summed it up brilliantly [:D]