Sign in to follow this  
shortfatb

Clever Move by Board

We have no money, they have picked 3 people who, even though Deehan was a poor manager, Norwich fans have affection and time for, and there will be total support at games from the home crowd. Yes they may take us down but any of the other potential appointees have failed recently and there was no guarantee that they would succeed any better than this trio, but at a greatly reduced cost. And, if they keep us up it will be happy days, It''s risk but a reasonably calculated one.

[quote user="shortfatb"]We have no money, they have picked 3 people who, even though Deehan was a poor manager, Norwich fans have affection and time for, and there will be total support at games from the home crowd. Yes they may take us down but any of the other potential appointees have failed recently and there was no guarantee that they would succeed any better than this trio, but at a greatly reduced cost. And, if they keep us up it will be happy days, It''s risk but a reasonably calculated one. [/quote]I agree with you. If it means we don''t have to sell Clingan or can bring in better players that has to be a plus. ANY manager now can take us down and Gunn takes over at one of the most difficult times in the club''s history. But I believe this crew is more likely to motivate the players we have than a newbie like Ince. We probably need between 15 - 20 pts for safety - that is more than a possibility - especially after we have won on Tuesday.The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.

I dont think it is a clever move by the board, if this goes wrong and we are in L1 next season, the fans will not turn on Gunn and Crook, it will be them who will be in the firing line!

[quote user="Ren"]

I dont think it is a clever move by the board, if this goes wrong and we are in L1 next season, the fans will not turn on Gunn and Crook, it will be them who will be in the firing line!

[/quote]Of course. But your comment could apply to whomever they appointed. But you suggest at least it was abrave decision if not a clever one. Personally I think it''s both. Gunn is LESS of a risk at this moment in time than the likes of  Jewell or Ince or possibly even Boothroyd would have been. The entire management team have accepted a short term contract: so they have the incentive even without taking into account their pride and love for the club.

I think it is a clever move - They have rejected a series of managers who have had failure recently, which is hardly a recommendation, and one at least whose attitude varies between cold and abrasive.It could work, and usher in a new era. Gunny may not just be a stop-gap. His personal qualities are not in doubt, and the commitment of all three is whole hearted.Now let''s just have one or two signings before the window closes, as insurance against injury, and we may see us moving up the table. If the freedom we say in the second half on Saturday persists, who knows what scalps we may capture!

[quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

Thats for sure Ren.

Why would the board care about being in the firing line as they are already looking to sell up.

Sure having the fans on your back and a league one rather than champ club will affect the price they get but think they are acting in the best long term interests of the club.

[quote user="rjwc22"]

Why would the board care about being in the firing line as they are already looking to sell up.

Sure having the fans on your back and a league one rather than champ club will affect the price they get but think they are acting in the best long term interests of the club.

[/quote]

Thats a myth 22'' they''re only seeking investment.

[quote user="Binky"]The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.[/quote]In the same way it is wrong for people to be putting down Gunn it is equally wrong to proclaim that the board should be praised for appointing him.  People forget that this board have yet to apoint a manager that has taken the club forward.  Worthy and maybe to a small extent Roeder,  are the only managers to have any acheived anything yet they both left us in as bad a shape on the pitch as they found us.If at the end of the season we are still in the Championship, by all means praise the board but so far nothing has been acheived.

Given the finacial state th club is in this is the best posible news, 3 men, all ex city legends and between them who have experienced in our best times.

Cant wait to see them all on pitch together against Southampton.

Well done the board

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Binky"]The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.[/quote]In the same way it is wrong for people to be putting down Gunn it is equally wrong to proclaim that the board should be praised for appointing him.  People forget that this board have yet to apoint a manager that has taken the club forward.  Worthy and maybe to a small extent Roeder,  are the only managers to have any acheived anything yet they both left us in as bad a shape on the pitch as they found us.If at the end of the season we are still in the Championship, by all means praise the board but so far nothing has been acheived.[/quote]As the OP, I wasn''t praisng the board just recognising that they''ve changed the team at a minimal cost, pushed all the right buttons with regards to the fans and if we go down, yes, some  fans will be calling for the board to go, but they''ve been getting that for 2 years. It''s just quite a clever solution, low cost, gives the board and management breathing space and they can expect support from the majority of fans for the rest of the season. 

[quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Binky"]The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.[/quote]In the same way it is wrong for people to be putting down Gunn it is equally wrong to proclaim that the board should be praised for appointing him.  People forget that this board have yet to apoint a manager that has taken the club forward.  Worthy and maybe to a small extent Roeder,  are the only managers to have any acheived anything yet they both left us in as bad a shape on the pitch as they found us.If at the end of the season we are still in the Championship, by all means praise the board but so far nothing has been acheived.[/quote]First things first SC. I was not suggesting the Board deserve praise per se but chiefly for sacking Roeder when they did - and, given our overall situation - for appointing the team they have appointed.. They manager can'' t keep us up until he''s managed a few games can he?

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Binky"]The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.[/quote]In the same way it is wrong for people to be putting down Gunn it is equally wrong to proclaim that the board should be praised for appointing him.  People forget that this board have yet to apoint a manager that has taken the club forward.  Worthy and maybe to a small extent Roeder,  are the only managers to have any acheived anything yet they both left us in as bad a shape on the pitch as they found us.If at the end of the season we are still in the Championship, by all means praise the board but so far nothing has been acheived.[/quote]First things first SC. I was not suggesting the Board deserve praise per se but chiefly for sacking Roeder when they did - and, given our overall situation - for appointing the team they have appointed.. They manager can'' t keep us up until he''s managed a few games can he?[/quote]Personally I think he should of gone after the AGM and the board sat on their hands until the situation became critical yet again.  I also don''t think that sacking a manager half way through January was very clever either.I am however fully behind Gunn and I will be singing OTBC home and away as ever.

[quote user="shortfatb"][quote user="Saint Canary"][quote user="Binky"]The Board gets a lot of stick. But for making the decision to kick out Roeder when they did - and in appointing Gunn & Crook - I think they deserve a lot of praise.[/quote]In the same way it is wrong for people to be putting down Gunn it is equally wrong to proclaim that the board should be praised for appointing him.  People forget that this board have yet to apoint a manager that has taken the club forward.  Worthy and maybe to a small extent Roeder,  are the only managers to have any acheived anything yet they both left us in as bad a shape on the pitch as they found us.If at the end of the season we are still in the Championship, by all means praise the board but so far nothing has been acheived.[/quote]As the OP, I wasn''t praisng the board just recognising that they''ve changed the team at a minimal cost, pushed all the right buttons with regards to the fans and if we go down, yes, some  fans will be calling for the board to go, but they''ve been getting that for 2 years. It''s just quite a clever solution, low cost, gives the board and management breathing space and they can expect support from the majority of fans for the rest of the season.  [/quote]Thats my big worry about Gunn.  Have the board appointed who they feel is the best man for the job from all the available candidates or have they just chosen who the person they feel "pushed all the right buttons with regards to the fans".  I just hope they chose Gunn for footballing not PR reasons.

Footballers play better for a manager they like and better when the fans support them.Surely these are two of the most important ''football reasons'' for appointing someone like Gunn?Roeder & Grant on the other hand had coaching qualifications coming out of their bumholes....

[quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

Thats for sure Ren.

[/quote]My god, I agree with Wiz for once.  I''d better go lie down in a dark room somewhere.Unlike wiz, I wasn''t expecting this outcome for precisely that reason.  But Qudos to the board for having the balls to do this, I expected them to appoint someone that they could throw to the wolves when the going gets tough.  The wolves wouldn''t accept these guys as a sacrifice.

[quote user="7rew"][quote user="1st Wizard"][quote user="Ren"]

[/quote]

Thats for sure Ren.

[/quote]

My god, I agree with Wiz for once.  I''d better go lie down in a dark room somewhere.

Unlike wiz, I wasn''t expecting this outcome for precisely that reason.  But Qudos to the board for having the balls to do this, I expected them to appoint someone that they could throw to the wolves when the going gets tough.  The wolves wouldn''t accept these guys as a sacrifice.
[/quote]

At my most cynical I would suggest it was akin to Gordon Brown giving everybody a tax break on the last budget before an election to try and pick up a few votes from the gullible. However, to be fair, I don''t think the board are that calculating or actually that interested in self-preservation. However ham-fisted some of their decisions may have been, they generally do what they think will best benefit the club. Whether it works out or not is another matter. I think it''s a gutsy gamble, and one they know could very well return to bite them where it hurts.