Sign in to follow this  
Buncey

Why Gunn was a good choice.

I was quite dismayed by such high levels of pessimism on the main thread about Gunn. Personally I think this is a pretty good appointment. Although Gunn doesn''t have the "managerial experience" that some have demanded we really have to look at what that means. Roeder was, in reality, a very experienced manager but also a very poor one with a poor record. There have been numerous poor appointments at other clubs made down through this "attribute". I understand that Grant was inexperienced, but his record ironically was better than Glenn''s and he inherited the club in a different position to as it is now, this leads me to my next point. Gunn is inheriting a pretty decent side that has underperformed badly and is very weak in a few positions, this is a far cry from Grant who lost half his players to buy outs, key players. Grants inexperience showed with his poor signings but Gunn isn''t in a position where he has to build a new team. He has relatively few signings to make and even fewer ones that would result in long-term contracts.I would be disappointed with Gunn''s appointment if he had been signed to long contract but he''s only contracted to June. If he fails to keep us up, thats no less than what Roeder would have done if he was still here and if he doen''t even do a great job we have the excellent option of being able to look for a new manager come the summer. In both these cases it assumes that he doesn''t do a magnificent job and if he does then maybe he has got what it takes after all. After a very good result where the difference was plain to see between old regime and new regime Gunn looks as though he can get the best out of these players very quickly. After all he will know most of the players, if not closely, then pretty well and seems to have got a big jump in productivity out of them. I understand that this is a honeymoon we are going through, but if it lasts only 5 games we''ll be half-way to staying up (if not more). In the short term there are very few options that could have got the best out of the players so quickly.Gunn has been a big figure at Norwich for the past 20 years and although he''s only recently come back into work at the club he''s a revered player. It''s only natural that us fans have a soft spot for him (see Jamie Cureton). This can only be a good thing in the short period of time till the end of the season. One of the problems we have had with our past managers is our reluctance to be patient with them. If things went wrong, we''d soon get on our players backs at games and that''s not a good atmosphere to be in when we are fighting with relegation. I feel that with an ex-norwich manager and coaching staff that are adored by fans we might see the bit of patience that will make Carrow Road a less toxic enviroment. So good luck Gunny, and good luck Norwich.

Agreed.I hope that some money will be made to Gunny - something was promised to GR a few weeks back.The appointment is a risk, but we know the man - his commitment to the club, his ability to get on with people, and with modesty. Not from him, I think, casting players away into outer darkness or publicly criticising them.I think that he will be more honest and frank about problems and disappointments.All in all, we have a good, if small squad, with one or two holes (-striker, central defender especially), they played well last Saturday in the second half. If they feel the same support from him and continue to express themselves, who knows what could be achieved?We have a manager with good personal qualities, a Board that clearly believes in him. All that is needed now is supporters to encourage the team as they did last Saturday. CR will become a feared fortress again and away form pick up.

Just watched his interview on Canaries World, he''s brimming with pride.  He understands that there is still a lot of hard work to do.  Approval from players and fans was important.  He says it''s an amazing day.

John Deehan and Gunny have always had and still have a great understanding, he has a positive affect on Gunny and experience.  Chippy is due to arrive by the end of the week after 10 years out of the Country, he has good contacts in other parts of the world.

Chippy booked his flight home at 10-30pm UK time last night.

He has a list of players that he has compiled, along with John''s list they will combine the two lists to pick who they want to bring in player wise.

and if its like the raw talent theese boys played with when they were playing , we could be in for a few plesant surprises.

hopefully crooky will bring in a couple of kangaroos , handy up front in corner situations!!!!

[quote user="singing canary"]

and if its like the raw talent theese boys played with when they were playing , we could be in for a few plesant surprises.

hopefully crooky will bring in a couple of kangaroos , handy up front in corner situations!!!!

[/quote]

Gunny said hopefully that would happen.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

Just watched his interview on Canaries World, he''s brimming with pride.  He understands that there is still a lot of hard work to do.  Approval from players and fans was important.  He says it''s an amazing day.

John Deehan and Gunny have always had and still have a great understanding, he has a positive affect on Gunny and experience.  Chippy is due to arrive by the end of the week after 10 years out of the Country, he has good contacts in other parts of the world.

He has a list of players that he has compiled, along with John''s list they will combine the two lists to pick who they want to bring in player wise.

[/quote]Presume Crooky resigned his post with Newcastle in Australia. Do you know how long his new contract with us is?. Wouldn''t have thought he would give up his job without guarantee of a decent contract here.

[quote user="tribes"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]Presume Crooky resigned his post with Newcastle in Australia. Do you know how long his new contract with us is?. Wouldn''t have thought he would give up his job without guarantee of a decent contract here.[/quote]

I really don''t know and it didn''t say on the interview, however I would imagine that it will all come out in the papers soon enough.  Gunny said Chippy couldn''t wait to book his tickets and get over to here to get started lol.

[quote user="WeAreYellows49"][quote user="tribes"][quote user="WeAreYellows49"]

[/quote]Presume Crooky resigned his post with Newcastle in Australia. Do you know how long his new contract with us is?. Wouldn''t have thought he would give up his job without guarantee of a decent contract here.[/quote]

I really don''t know and it didn''t say on the interview, however I would imagine that it will all come out in the papers soon enough.  Gunny said Chippy couldn''t wait to book his tickets and get over to here to get started lol.

[/quote]Things do seem much brighter than they did under GR. Gunny wouldn''t have been my choice but after GR it''s time for getting behind the new management team and creating great atmosphere at Carrow Road.

I agree Tribes, I was none to pleased when the team was announced this morning, but I have mulled it over and it could just work out ok.  Gunny has the man management skills, he lets players play in positions they feel comfortable in yet gives them free reign of the pitch, gives them confidence and oozes NCFC and has some good contacts. 

We shall see, but until they give me reason to not back them, I will support them 100% [:)]

At least we don''t have that horrible black cloud hanging over the club anymore. There will be ups and downs allright but that is easier to cope with when you actually like those who are leading the team.

Fellas, your post reflects my feelings perfectly!

A lot of reaction on this board has been unsupportive, dissmissive and counter-productive. It''s actually quite shameful, regardless of what we may have all hoped for.  

[quote user="Fellas"]Gunn isn''t in a position where he has to build a new team. [/quote]

You can''t be serious? I would hope that would be one of Gunns main priorities. No decent full backs. Not enough centre backs. No attacking midfielder to replace Damien Francis (Who we still haven''t replaced) and Hardly any strikers.

Seems near enough to having to build a ''new team'' to me.

[quote user="tribes"]At least we don''t have that horrible black cloud hanging over the club anymore. There will be ups and downs allright but that is easier to cope with when you actually like those who are leading the team.[/quote]

Course there will be up''s and down''s but that''s life.

There will always be those who don''t agree with anything new, I was one of them, however in all reality we are a club with little money, so big named managers were always going to be out of our reach.

We have got the three musketeers at the helm now, so I for one will be backing them, until they do something which doesn''t deserve my backing.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[quote user="Fellas"]Gunn isn''t in a position where he has to build a new team. [/quote]

You can''t be serious? I would hope that would be one of Gunns main priorities. No decent full backs. Not enough centre backs. No attacking midfielder to replace Damien Francis (Who we still haven''t replaced) and Hardly any strikers.

[/quote]Maybe it would be fairer to state "Gunn isn''t in a position whereby he CAN build a new team".If we don''t have the funds to get new players in, the manager has to work with what they have. Chances are that the majority of any signings we do make now are likely to be more loans, with a view to more permanent changes over the summer.I love the number of fans who have Rolls-Royce ideas despite knowing full well that we don''t have the funds to afford them;  come on Gunny, pull your finger out and get bids in for Micah Richards, Clichy, Rio, Vidic, Fabregas, Drogba and Rooney......Indy.

[quote user="NCFC_Shaun"]

[/quote]I''d argue the opposite Shaun. At right back we have ozomuzi and semmy, 2 competent RB''s who have struggle of late in that position but never the less have shown they are able to play there to a reasonably good level. At left back we have Grounds, Drury and Betrand, the latter was one of our best players last season and he has obviously struggled this season but I think we have yet to see the best out of the young lad yet. We have a couple of centre backs, but as noted by almost everyone we have been reasonably solid in the centre back position recently (certainly with doherty). Although it''s an area that needs strengthening it''s not vital to our safety if we don''t get one, and they tend to come at premium these days, and I don''t think we have the money. If Hoolahan keeps performing I don''t see the Francis/Etuhu player being needed in the short term and again looking to sign a decent player in that position is not cheap particuarly in January in such a tight league such as this year. We effectively stole Hoolahan in my eyes and he looks as though he''s gonna be the player to watch from now till May. The only position we need a player in is upfront, will Lupoli and two old players in Cureton and Cort going to be able to hold the line? Probably not. However when you consider what Grant had to do during his time here: replace; Green (who we had replaced with Gallacher... who was basically gone), Safri, Etuhu, Earnshaw, Fleming, Highes, Colin (and robinson if he counts). Quite a few first teamers to replace. Gunn hasn''t got very many leaving canaries to replace, infact the only two that spring into my mind are Lita and Kennedy which both are going to be tough (and expensive) to replace.