Sign in to follow this  
Noseybonk

Brown, Stringer, Walker

All hired from within.

All derided as being the ''cheap option''.

The three best managers we have had.

Promoting present employees rather than hiring an outsider works. FACT.

The difference is that they were all coaches at the club and, in Walker''s case, he had been manager of Colchester where he was successful. Also what about Megson and Deehan. I really hope I don''t have to add Gunn to that list to even it up.

[quote user="psychedeliasmith"]

The difference is that they were all coaches at the club and, in Walker''s case, he had been manager of Colchester where he was successful. Also what about Megson and Deehan. I really hope I don''t have to add Gunn to that list to even it up.

[/quote]

To be fair Megson and Deehan were handed poison chalices of taking over from popular managers who had left because of the chairman. The focus of everyone was then on getting rid of the chairman so that any future managers wouldn''t end up exasperated and leaving as Walker and O''Neill did. I think both got a raw deal in terms of the support they probably should have received and with players wanting to follow the managers out of the club due to lack of ambition, and both were hindered with poor timing rather than any great shortfall in ability.

[quote user="Wight Yellow"]All hired from within. All derided as being the ''cheap option''. The three best managers we have had. Promoting present employees rather than hiring an outsider works. FACT.[/quote]

Ridiculous assertion!

Cant recall Wenger being a previous employee of Arsenal, Ferguson an employee of United, Shankly an employee of Liverpool, Bobby Robson an employee of Ipswich. The list is endless. It is all about ABILITY to do the job! I agree with your examples but to then make such a generic case is plain wrong.  

[quote user="Wight Yellow"]All hired from within. All derided as being the ''cheap option''. The three best managers we have had. Promoting present employees rather than hiring an outsider works. FACT.[/quote]

But not all at the same time!