Sign in to follow this  
ca

''OFFICIAL THREAD'' TO DISCUSS OUR NEW MANAGEMENT TEAM

The last man to be installed at NCFC as a managerial rookie was everyone''s best mate Peter Grant.... ''nough said on that matter.

However, I dont think that anyone could get less points than him... apart from Roeder.

With the fantastic atmosphere, result and support on Saturday, i am slightly more on the optomistic side of thinking. I think that Chippy will work along side, not under Gunn dont take notice of the names. They needed a figured head and the ex-Sheriff of our fine city was the answer.

Although it has been difficult since our trip to Craven Cottage, i am still happy to call myself a fan of NCFC. I have been since i was born 23 years ago into the arms of the yellow and green army. I can remember when NCFC men fell Bayern Munich and being proud to call myself a canary. It is these same men that are now looking to guide our team to glory once more. We have hailed them before and i find it hard to hear "fans" calling for their heads before a ball has been kicked. Frankly, they aren''t fans, they are the kind of people that look at the glass half empty and Carrow Rd would be much better without having them in the crowd. If you were in their shoes, would you want your fans shouting and screaming abuse at you... i thought not.

I

The last man to be installed at NCFC as a managerial rookie was everyone''s best mate Peter Grant.... ''nough said on that matter.

However, I dont think that anyone could get less points than him... apart from Roeder.

With the fantastic atmosphere, result and support on Saturday, i am slightly more on the optomistic side of thinking. I think that Chippy will work along side, not under Gunn dont take notice of the names. They needed a figured head and the ex-Sheriff of our fine city was the answer.

Although it has been difficult since our trip to Craven Cottage, i am still happy to call myself a fan of NCFC. I have been since i was born 23 years ago into the arms of the yellow and green army. I can remember when NCFC men fell Bayern Munich and being proud to call myself a canary. It is these same men that are now looking to guide our team to glory once more. We have hailed them before and i find it hard to hear "fans" calling for their heads before a ball has been kicked. Frankly, they aren''t fans, they are the kind of people that look at the glass half empty and Carrow Rd would be much better without having them in the crowd. If you were in their shoes, would you want your fans shouting and screaming abuse at you... i thought not.

Long

Long life

[quote user="paul moy"]

I am going to back this management completely until the end of the season, and I have an open mind as to what should happen after that. We already have the players that can keep us up and Gunn has already shown that he can motivate them, whereas Roeder appeared to demotivate them.  Some people on here say that Gunn has no contacts, but I read that Sir Alex Ferguson rang him before the Barnsley game with congratulations !!

Gunn wanted the job, and some people here say that he should not take it because he will ruin his legend status. I think this is a spurious argument, and Gunn will earn even more respect for having the courage to take the job. I certainly do not think any less of John Deehan for his attempts to bring further success to Norwich in the 90s. Gunn will eventually fail at Norwich, because all (barring one or two notable exceptions perhaps!!)  managers do, so as long as he steps down when the majority of supporters deem that he should, I really see no problem.

Good Luck Brian !!

[/quote]

Ooops..... I meant ''Good Luck Bryan ''

Although initially I didn''t like the idea of Gunny as the gaffer, I''m now starting to warm to the idea. The most important think we need at the moment is an element of stability. Gunny offers us that. Next, and just as important is that the players seem to be behind his appointment and want to win for him. He''ll have sound advice from Deehan and hopefully Chippy has learnt a few tricks on his travels. Finally I wouldn''t be surprised to see him turn to Sir Alex for a little bit of help. I can see our next signing being someone like Danny Welbeck on loan

The time for this management team to be judged is the end of the season.  It comes down to a simple couple of statements: if we are still in the Championship it was a shrewd move, if we are in League 1 then it was foolish.  Regardless of how we feel now, we should invest our energies in getting behind the new management team.  Criticising people before they have had their chance to prove themselves just shows beligerance!

Realistically speaking it probably was about compromise and ticking the right boxes. We have no money so this was likely to be the cheapest option. Yellow and green blood - most definitely. Experience as a manager, well no not where Gunny is concerned, but there is a lot of experience in other forms that can be offerred by messrs Gunn, Crook & Deehan that can take Norwich forward. Lets face it, who ever employed a manager knowing that they were going to be successful. Finally, as for worrying about future animosity being directed at a city legend, Gunny can look after himself, with all he''s had to go through in his personal life, this will be a breeze ![:D] 

Cop Out. We''ll see how much the fans love Bryan when it all turns to dust. It is so unfair to place him in this position. Were there really any interviews for other candidates, or was that just a smokescreen?

My view is that Crook will eventually replace Gunn when it all becomes too much, with Deehan stepping up to no.2. It is good to see Crook back though - long overdue!

I''m constantly amazed at the amount of nonsense some of our "fans" spout on a regular basis.Are Gunn and co a cheap option compared to alternatives such as Ince and Boothroyd - undoubtedly, does cheap mean rubbish - not at all.I keep hearing endless crap about needing a more experienced man, WTF do you think Roeder was?We hired a guy who''d taken Newcastle from virtually bottom of the Prem into 7th, then won a trophy for them, and finished his term with them averaging a 45% win rate. On experience and his previous performance alone, Roeder was a great appointment, but look what happened...There have been numerous appointments over the years of people with vast experience, most of which have been at big clubs and they''ve been apalling. You only have to look a Souness, Robson (Bryan), Ramos and Roeder to see how true this is.On the flip side, we''ve also seen managers such as Vialli and Di Matteo take over at clubs when they''ve had NO previous management experience and do a very good job - inexperienced does not automatically mean garbage.If you believe the rumours, we have no real cash to spend, so replacing/increasing our current squad is not going to be a quick process and certainly looks unlikely at the minute, so we need to make the most of what we have. The current squad is also not suited to playing a more direct/long ball game, so we have to work on a closer passing game and keeping possession, and who is arguably the finest passer we''ve seen in a Norwich shirt for the last 20 years? - Crook, the man now placed as 1st team coach. Combine this with Gunn''s experience from a goalkeeping/defensive perspective and Dixie''s striking background, and we''ve potentially got the ideal coaches in place to suit our current side. You''d only need to add Gossy for the fitness side and we''d be laughing.Gunn is also held in high esteem by the footballing community as a whole, apparently with excellent links to many top managers, the obvious one being SAF, but we don''t know how much he''s been held back by the previous management on the recruitment side, so we have the chance now to see how good his black book really is.The simple fact is that proven managers with proven success are either already employed - mainly in the top flight, would not be interested in coming to us or would ask for crazy money that we just don''t have if they did consider it. Top managers do not grow on trees, nor are they cheap, and it''s amazing how as fans we regularly want to give youth players a chance to develop, but we''re not willing to give a new managerial appointment the same consideration.Personally I think in our current situation it''s a good move as if we can''t get the current squad playing and motivated with Gunn etc, then it''s a lost cause anyway...Indy.

Still haven''t made my mind up what I think other than its the cheap option which could work and I hope it does.

If it doesn''t work where would that leave Gunny and Crook (who has left his family behind for 3 months)

Without thinking about the board for a moment, these three guys together probably have enough about them to sustain our place in this league. All three are former legends at CR and most importantly are from an ea when we were not only in the top division but doing very well in it.

Now the board - another cheap appt, they just can''t help it can they? Backed into yet another corner when Roeder''s reign fell apart they would probably have appointed someone like Dowie had the fans not kicked up about Roeder and his lack or respect for the fans and the culture of green and yellow. So solution (light bulb moment) is to appoint THREE ex city players. Whether they are Bryan''s choices or not remains to be seen, I guess they probably are, he was v close to Deehan in his playing time and of course played with Crook for a long while. All three of them hold the club in the highest regard. Problem? They are the new fall guys, if it goes mammaries up who get the push? Temporary position and if it goes wrong the board can then appoint some wizened old pro like Dowie, Holloway etc, etc, whoever is available (cheap).

IF the board had given us just a glimpse of their ability to make rational business decisions and we could guarantee they would back Gunn in the transfer market I would be over the moon, but the board are finding it tough to do anything right now and after asking shareholders at the AGM for ideas their rationale/plans don''t seem worth anything much these days. When was the last time any of us think they had any credible options over anything?

But ......should we be relegated the board face mass revolt and this time directed at THEM. There can''t be many city fans who would turn on Gunn, Deehan or Crook. I think personally they are both naive in their approach and heading for a fall. Shame they may take our club with them on the way.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"] But ......should we be relegated the board face mass revolt and this time directed at THEM. There can''t be many city fans who would turn on Gunn, Deehan or Crook. I think personally they are both naive in their approach and heading for a fall. Shame they may take our club with them on the way.[/quote]

Quite agree Gazza

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Good to see Chippy back, but this is undoubtedly the ''safe'' option from the board... someone cheap and cheerful... let''s hope it doesn''t backfire!!

Gunny''s Barmy Army!!
[/quote]

We are staring at the third division, employing someone for his first management job would cast doubt on the phrase ''safe option''

I don''t think there is an appointment the board could have made where they wouldn''t have been criticised. Who would have made you happy Gazza? Who would have really impressed you Angel?

Who knows what is around the corner for us but I don''t believe we will get relegated. But if the worst happened and we did I hope these three are given the chance to get us up again.

As for the board. They are past their sell by date with most fans. They will get no credit if this team are succesful and they will get all the blame if they fail. That could be a good thing.

I think the player reaction on Saturday and the way the crowd got  behind the team, and  Gunny dont forget, made it a lot easier for the Board to make this choice. I`ve no idea how it will  work out, Gunny might prove to  be an outstanding shrewd manager who can motivate teams to perform at their best on a regular basis, I hope this is the case, my big fear is that  he  is  quite  obviously  too nice a guy and too close to  the players to be able to make the tough choices that managers must make.

My guess is that his charisma and honeymoon will be enough to get us out of the relegation scrap this season and he will get a lot more out of the squad built by Roeder than Roeder ever got.

If  he continues next season expectations will be so much higher and  I fear he will be unable to deliver what  the crowd demand. I hope I`m wrong in that respect  but  times will come when he will  have to be tough and I cant see that in the guy. 

[quote user="Grim Roeder"]

[quote user="Evil Monkey"]Good to see Chippy back, but this is undoubtedly the ''safe'' option from the board... someone cheap and cheerful... let''s hope it doesn''t backfire!!Gunny''s Barmy Army!![/quote]

We are staring at the third division, employing someone for his first management job would cast doubt on the phrase ''safe option''

[/quote]Figure of speech, Grim... I mean ''safe'' as in ''a friend of Delia''s''... not ''safe'' as in ''we''ll definitely stay up''...And certainly not ''safe'' as in ''whack, wicked, innit bluh''.....

[quote user="Indy_Bones"]I''m constantly amazed at the amount of nonsense some of our "fans" spout on a regular basis.

Are Gunn and co a cheap option compared to alternatives such as Ince and Boothroyd - undoubtedly, does cheap mean rubbish - not at all.

I keep hearing endless crap about needing a more experienced man, WTF do you think Roeder was?

We hired a guy who''d taken Newcastle from virtually bottom of the Prem into 7th, then won a trophy for them, and finished his term with them averaging a 45% win rate. On experience and his previous performance alone, Roeder was a great appointment, but look what happened...

There have been numerous appointments over the years of people with vast experience, most of which have been at big clubs and they''ve been apalling. You only have to look a Souness, Robson (Bryan), Ramos and Roeder to see how true this is.

On the flip side, we''ve also seen managers such as Vialli and Di Matteo take over at clubs when they''ve had NO previous management experience and do a very good job - inexperienced does not automatically mean garbage.

If you believe the rumours, we have no real cash to spend, so replacing/increasing our current squad is not going to be a quick process and certainly looks unlikely at the minute, so we need to make the most of what we have.

The current squad is also not suited to playing a more direct/long ball game, so we have to work on a closer passing game and keeping possession, and who is arguably the finest passer we''ve seen in a Norwich shirt for the last 20 years? - Crook, the man now placed as 1st team coach. Combine this with Gunn''s experience from a goalkeeping/defensive perspective and Dixie''s striking background, and we''ve potentially got the ideal coaches in place to suit our current side. You''d only need to add Gossy for the fitness side and we''d be laughing.

Gunn is also held in high esteem by the footballing community as a whole, apparently with excellent links to many top managers, the obvious one being SAF, but we don''t know how much he''s been held back by the previous management on the recruitment side, so we have the chance now to see how good his black book really is.

The simple fact is that proven managers with proven success are either already employed - mainly in the top flight, would not be interested in coming to us or would ask for crazy money that we just don''t have if they did consider it. Top managers do not grow on trees, nor are they cheap, and it''s amazing how as fans we regularly want to give youth players a chance to develop, but we''re not willing to give a new managerial appointment the same consideration.

Personally I think in our current situation it''s a good move as if we can''t get the current squad playing and motivated with Gunn etc, then it''s a lost cause anyway...

Indy.
[/quote]

Top post as ever Indy

The personnel haven''t made me unhappy Nutty, far from it, it''s the reasoning (or lack of it) behind the decisons which worry me.

Your first statement is correct in my opinion. The board have run out of any credibility they once had. Cheap, rushed and ill thought out appointments for managers, and standing behind them when things got rough (ie Roeder at the AGM). Did anyone on the board come out and say he''d gone too far at the time. I think not. It''s easy enough to say it now.

As I said, should we be relegated it won''t be Gunny Out, it will be Board Out, and not a moment too soon.

Hi Indy,

Got to agree with you, I think the managerial team is well thought out and well balanced. What gunny lacks in managerial experience will be taken up by the other guys. He has the man management skills that Roeder so obviously lacked and I am not sure we need to spend shed loads of cash, we just need to get the players to play to their ability. I am more than happy with things. I am just glad I have tickets for next Tuesday cos I reckon its going to be a great atmosphere.

[quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Being honest I am neither happy or upset, it has been clear to me that the noises from Carrow Rd have suggested that Gunn would get it.  I have nothing against Gunn but it is a huge risk to hand the job to a manager with no experience in a club fighting relegation a battle.  Having said that I am fully behind Gunn and Chippy but I have serious reservations on whether the board felt that this was the right move or whether they are just trying to placate angry fans.

What I do find upsetting is that we know have a short-term manager to add to our short-term squad of players and I can''t imagine that we will make any permanent signings in January.  It will be hard to sell the club and it''s ambitions to any player when the club are not looking any further ahead than the end of the season. 
[/quote]

I''m the same, I''m not happy but I''m not too upset. Think its a big risk and if it doesn''t work out it will be Gunn''s and Crook''s legend status in tatters.

[/quote]

can''t go along with that CA, if it doesn''t work out I won''t be blaming Gunny or Crook, if they were handed 10 million pounds for players tomorrow and failed then it may be different, but with what they''re going to get I don''t think they can lose really. I am sure they will give it 100% , and if they fail it won''t be for want of trying, and if they succeed then they will be heroes all over again.

[quote user="gazzathegreat"]Without thinking about the board for a moment, these three guys together probably have enough about them to sustain our place in this league. All three are former legends at CR and most importantly are from an ea when we were not only in the top division but doing very well in it. Now the board - another cheap appt, they just can''t help it can they? Backed into yet another corner when Roeder''s reign fell apart they would probably have appointed someone like Dowie had the fans not kicked up about Roeder and his lack or respect for the fans and the culture of green and yellow. So solution (light bulb moment) is to appoint THREE ex city players. Whether they are Bryan''s choices or not remains to be seen, I guess they probably are, he was v close to Deehan in his playing time and of course played with Crook for a long while. All three of them hold the club in the highest regard. Problem? They are the new fall guys, if it goes mammaries up who get the push? Temporary position and if it goes wrong the board can then appoint some wizened old pro like Dowie, Holloway etc, etc, whoever is available (cheap). IF the board had given us just a glimpse of their ability to make rational business decisions and we could guarantee they would back Gunn in the transfer market I would be over the moon, but the board are finding it tough to do anything right now and after asking shareholders at the AGM for ideas their rationale/plans don''t seem worth anything much these days. When was the last time any of us think they had any credible options over anything? But ......should we be relegated the board face mass revolt and this time directed at THEM. There can''t be many city fans who would turn on Gunn, Deehan or Crook. I think personally they are both naive in their approach and heading for a fall. Shame they may take our club with them on the way.[/quote]

good post Gazzathegreat, particularly agree with highlighted bit

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

I don''t think there is an appointment the board could have made where they wouldn''t have been criticised. Who would have made you happy Gazza? Who would have really impressed you Angel?

Who knows what is around the corner for us but I don''t believe we will get relegated. But if the worst happened and we did I hope these three are given the chance to get us up again.

As for the board. They are past their sell by date with most fans. They will get no credit if this team are succesful and they will get all the blame if they fail. That could be a good thing.

[/quote]

Blimey! I agree with you NN! Who would have thought it?

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

Agree with you Nutty [Y]

Whoever was appointed there would be some that weren''t happy.

some very strange reactions to the appointments. I was at a meeting in Cambridge today, so had to have the mobile off. Switched it on during a break to find it swamped with messages from fellow city fans, and the greatest critics of the appointments were the ones who usually stick up for Delia & Co, whilst those in the Anti Board camp were cautiously optimistic and as another poster added it gives the feeling of us "getting our club back" or at least getting people back into our club who have some understanding of  how we feel and who hopefully share our dismay at the current state of the club. I have nothing but respect for Gunn, Crook, Deehan and Butterworth, and will give them my total support.

Our Board are clueless and have gone for the cheap option, but it could just work, we could ride a wave of green and yellow patriotism and create the kind of "in it together" spirit that may just get us a few more results like the one we saw on Saturday.

Now if only bring back chippy is right with his second piece of info re new investment then it may be time to do some serious drinking

the appointment of gunny and crooky with dixie in the mix with maybe butters in there as well - is exciting in that they are all NCFC legends,,,but thats as far as it goes with me...if you want NCFC legends running the show - how about o''neill as manager, bowen as assistant manager and phelan as coach???yeah - tasty...makes you think though, cos none would give us a second glance these days...just shows how far this club has sunk since the class of 92-3 were strutting their stuff///[:(]for me - gunny''s and chippy''s appointment is all to do with player power - i bet the players were asked who they would be happiest with,,,which is probably the best bet the board had on offer - given their first instinct was to approach worthy...ouch...as in,,,we don''t know - lets ask the players!!!they got rid of the last 3 managers!!!its obviously a cheap option, and a major gamble - i hope for NCFC''s sake the right choice has been made, and that we escape relegation...cos thats all that matters now for this season///but lets be clear - after duffy''s/gunny''s bodge run 2 autums ago - we must not gamble with the players we bring in now...our defence needs shoring up with experienced men - a new right back, CB - while we need a proven goalscorer up front...no messin...so when gunny says 3 new players in - they betta be capable and experienced enough to get NCFC out of the relegation dog fight we find ourselves currently in - make no mistake...no more gambles please...[:@]oh - and btw gunny/crooky/dixie and butters...the best of british to you all[:D]

[quote user="Barclay_Boy"][quote user="cityangel"]

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Being honest I am neither happy or upset, it has been clear to me that the noises from Carrow Rd have suggested that Gunn would get it.  I have nothing against Gunn but it is a huge risk to hand the job to a manager with no experience in a club fighting relegation a battle.  Having said that I am fully behind Gunn and Chippy but I have serious reservations on whether the board felt that this was the right move or whether they are just trying to placate angry fans.

What I do find upsetting is that we know have a short-term manager to add to our short-term squad of players and I can''t imagine that we will make any permanent signings in January.  It will be hard to sell the club and it''s ambitions to any player when the club are not looking any further ahead than the end of the season. 
[/quote]

I''m the same, I''m not happy but I''m not too upset. Think its a big risk and if it doesn''t work out it will be Gunn''s and Crook''s legend status in tatters.

[/quote]

can''t go along with that CA, if it doesn''t work out I won''t be blaming Gunny or Crook, if they were handed 10 million pounds for players tomorrow and failed then it may be different, but with what they''re going to get I don''t think they can lose really. I am sure they will give it 100% , and if they fail it won''t be for want of trying, and if they succeed then they will be heroes all over again.

[/quote]

Bloody hell, we''re in total agreement BB! [:)] If this one goes tits up everyone will on turn on the board - not this management team; and I assume that Delia et al will probably realise that.

I''m pleased at the appointment - we know that the club will have a special place in the hearts of the new team and that it will really matter to them - it''s not just a career move. Hopefully, it will go some way towrds uniting the fans as well!

So Gunny, Crook and Deehan. What were the odds of that?!!

Obviously this is the cheap and easy option, although not neccessarily the wrong option.

I would like to have seen an experienced manager come in, maybe with some success under his belt and experience getting out of this league. But they cost money and Norwich don''t have it. So let''s look on the bright side, Gunny loves the club through and through, he is respected thoroughly and the players love him. With Crook''s management experience, albeit at a lower level and Deehan''s vast experience they have potential. And they all have big Norwich links which is a massive plus.