Sign in to follow this  
ca

''OFFICIAL THREAD'' TO DISCUSS OUR NEW MANAGEMENT TEAM

[quote user="walks on water"]

I''m Happy  ...didn''t want Ince/Dowie/Ady for different reasons

Think this could be inspired (or fail spectacularly) 

[/quote]

I think you''re right. It could either be the best or worst decision we''ve ever made but I''m certainly giving them my backing; in a way, I''m cautiously optimistic that it might work well. Of course the big worry is of no experience of managing in the Championship. As you say though, Crook is no fool.

As has been said, I don''t think that realistically we had any other option but the cheapest at this moment in time.

[quote user="Arturo Whittlupoli"]

[quote user="cityangel"]I''m a bit disappointed if I''m honest but I''ll be right behind them.[/quote]

I echo that, but I back them fully, if they can achive half what they did as players we will be alright.

[/quote]

Me too!!  We are where we are and they will have my full support.   There is a lot of talent in that lineup and whilst it is cheap it is not wirhout logic and merit to appoint these three.  Gunny has the right skills to manage and motivate.  Crook may be a good coach and he was a candidate before albeit fringe ...none of us know either way.

I''ll support them and give them a chance

Its not the cheap option its the CHEEP option.For those of you that wanted YOUR club back… you''ve got it!For those that didn''t, its time to be true to your words. Either get behind them or don''t bother going… its simple enough really.My take on it, for what its worth, is this is an attempt to unite everyone. If it fails, we will be in the same position as we would with any one that came in and failed… relegated and possibly administration, but without the big 3 year payoff.If it is inspired, we will have a feel-good factor about the club that we haven''t had since the days of Mike Walker and John Deehan (the Worthy days were good, but not a patch on Walker/Deehan for sheer enjoyment).Its a true indication of where our club is at, at this moment in time. There aren''t new investors and so they have got to work within their means. But whilst they are working within their means, they have at least tried to unite. However, I guess that will sit horribly with a lot of people.

Gunn is not a proven failure because he has gotten to a ripe age without managing - what does that tell you?How many managers have NOT been sacked in their careers?We do get behind the team but this is a message board where we can type our opinions.My opinion is that you are a t*t.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Everyone on this board is pathetic, moan, moan, and bloody moan. You all moan about "The Board", but it''s those on this board that should take a look at themselves. I''m not 100% sure that Gunny is the right man, but at least he''s not a proven failure, every other name linked is a proven failure, all previously sacked for their poor jobs as managers. We''ve got three men who the fans know, like and the players will want to play for... save the moaning for if things don''t work, but for now get behind them and support the team (if you go that is).[/quote]

i think the board have made a good decision this time, they could''ve spent money they needed for players on one of the bigger name managers linked with the position, that would''ve been an easy option for the board as if they failed to keep us up then that would take the blame off them as they got the manager the fans wanted. Gunn with Crook seems a good choice, last time people wanted paul jewell and what has he done since that then, don''t look like we missed out on much there. 

[quote user="Salopian"]Many of the things suggested are true - he is a cheap option in that we do not have to pay compensation to another club, but is that bad ? The money will hopefully be used to add to a transfer fee instead.

He does lack actual experience of being in the lonely position of manager, but he has demonstrated character and an ability to reach out to other humans. He communicates well with the media and crowd, - he has already displayed good traits in this.

He has in his favour a great commitment to the club and he knows everyone well. They seem impressed and at least two former managers have recommended him.

The great advantage of this signing is that he has already started - possible recruitment, relationship with players, relationship with the Board. When time is short to sign new players and to design a recovery from our present position, he doesn''t need time to take stock and get to know people. He is there already!

We are in a parlous position, we have a man of character who is committed utterly, and supported by a team who love the club. He deserves our support.
[/quote]

read this after my previous post.  Beautifully put and if I may, I endorse every word as my own.

[quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

To be honest it this would not have been my personal choice but I''m not dismayed, the ingredients are there for an interesting future.

With Gunn''s man management skills and Crooky''s footballing brain we should see some entertaining and hopefully productive football.

Remember this trio will be doing it for Norwich City FC and not to nurture inflated egos as our last two did, if we get behind them as we did last saturday we will all be pleasantly surprised I feel.

O.T.B.C.

[/quote]Well said Jim.  Yes it''s a cheap option but I am gonna sit on the inspired side of the fence.I have a feeling there is more in this than meets the eye. I think there was a little truth in the new owner coming soon rumour the last couple of days and this would indicate to me that whoever it is has yellow and green blood and has had a hand in these "till the end of season"  appointments.I''d go as far as to say that I would not now be suprised to see Hucks playing some sort of role at the club very soon.That''s my life raft and I''m clinging to it.[;)]

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]

[quote user="Matt Juler"]Everyone on this board is pathetic, moan, moan, and bloody moan. You all moan about "The Board", but it''s those on this board that should take a look at themselves. I''m not 100% sure that Gunny is the right man, but at least he''s not a proven failure, every other name linked is a proven failure, all previously sacked for their poor jobs as managers. We''ve got three men who the fans know, like and the players will want to play for... save the moaning for if things don''t work, but for now get behind them and support the team (if you go that is).[/quote]

Save this qoute for 6 months time. My god, you havent a clue.

[/quote]

that cuts both ways of course

Totally agree with these sentiments.[quote user="IncH_HigH"][quote user="Gentleman Jim"]

To be honest it this would not have been my personal choice but I''m not dismayed, the ingredients are there for an interesting future.

With Gunn''s man management skills and Crooky''s footballing brain we should see some entertaining and hopefully productive football.

Remember this trio will be doing it for Norwich City FC and not to nurture inflated egos as our last two did, if we get behind them as we did last saturday we will all be pleasantly surprised I feel.

O.T.B.C.

[/quote]Well said Jim.  Yes it''s a cheap option but I am gonna sit on the inspired side of the fence.I have a feeling there is more in this than meets the eye. I think there was a little truth in the new owner coming soon rumour the last couple of days and this would indicate to me that whoever it is has yellow and green blood and has had a hand in these "till the end of season"  appointments.I''d go as far as to say that I would not now be suprised to see Hucks playing some sort of role at the club very soon.That''s my life raft and I''m clinging to it.[;)][/quote]

Being honest I am neither happy or upset, it has been clear to me that the noises from Carrow Rd have suggested that Gunn would get it.  I have nothing against Gunn but it is a huge risk to hand the job to a manager with no experience in a club fighting relegation a battle.  Having said that I am fully behind Gunn and Chippy but I have serious reservations on whether the board felt that this was the right move or whether they are just trying to placate angry fans.What I do find upsetting is that we know have a short-term manager to add to our short-term squad of players and I can''t imagine that we will make any permanent signings in January.  It will be hard to sell the club and it''s ambitions to any player when the club are not looking any further ahead than the end of the season. 

Spot on.[quote user="Saint Canary"]Being honest I am neither happy or upset, it has been clear to me that the noises from Carrow Rd have suggested that Gunn would get it.  I have nothing against Gunn but it is a huge risk to hand the job to a manager with no experience in a club fighting relegation a battle.  Having said that I am fully behind Gunn and Chippy but I have serious reservations on whether the board felt that this was the right move or whether they are just trying to placate angry fans.What I do find upsetting is that we know have a short-term manager to add to our short-term squad of players and I can''t imagine that we will make any permanent signings in January.  It will be hard to sell the club and it''s ambitions to any player when the club are not looking any further ahead than the end of the season.  [/quote]

A thought strikes me that the Board have acted wisely, in not making an appointment at all. In recent history the only 2 managers who can have been called successful were Mike Walker and Nigel Worthington - MW was an internal appointment, whereas we seemed to stumble across NW by accident, and regardless of what anyone says he was the best appointment since 1992. Since then we have tried a number of external appointments, and none have brought any lasting success or stability to the club. So we have looked inward for our new management team. For me history shows that this has been successful in the past - not every time, but it has.

One of the big criticisms of Gunny seems to be his lack of technical nous. Agreed, but this can also be said of Mike Walker - and he had John Deehan to help him out behind the scenes. Walker and Deehan worked fantastically in combination but awfully when they tried management on their own. Gunny will have Crook  and Deehan. None of the three are the egotistical type who will refuse to listen to sound advice. I think they are 3 experienced pros who will each bring a different dimension to the tactical decisions, and reach a sensible consensus on tactics, transfers, team selections etc.

I''ve always thought that the rules which work well at other clubs don''t always work well here. We''re special, we''re unique. We do things our way and stuff what the rest think. This could work. We work best when everyone pulls in the same direction, and these 3 will get everyone pulling the same way.

One more thing: for anyone who thinks that Bryan Gunn is a soft touch, read his book. He can lose it big time, and will have no problem at all getting his message across to any players he feels are not pulling their weight. 

Bravo Win or Die

[quote user="Saint Canary"]Being honest I am neither happy or upset, it has been clear to me that the noises from Carrow Rd have suggested that Gunn would get it.  I have nothing against Gunn but it is a huge risk to hand the job to a manager with no experience in a club fighting relegation a battle.  Having said that I am fully behind Gunn and Chippy but I have serious reservations on whether the board felt that this was the right move or whether they are just trying to placate angry fans.

What I do find upsetting is that we know have a short-term manager to add to our short-term squad of players and I can''t imagine that we will make any permanent signings in January.  It will be hard to sell the club and it''s ambitions to any player when the club are not looking any further ahead than the end of the season. 
[/quote]

I''m the same, I''m not happy but I''m not too upset. Think its a big risk and if it doesn''t work out it will be Gunn''s and Crook''s legend status in tatters.

I think that an interim appointment to the end of the season makes good sense, especially if there is no more money to spend. Without money we''re unlikely to be able to attract any of the top names being mentioned in the press, and anyone in a job at present is going to require a compensation payment before joining us.. Anyone out of a job has already failed at least once, so why not give Bryan a chance? Anyone from outside the club is going to want to bring in their own favourite players in the same way Roeder brought in players he knew, and I don''t believe we can afford to do that.

I would have liked to have seen Aidy Boothroyd and Malky Mackay rejoin the club, and maybe that''s still an option by us only making an interim appointment now. In terms of football style, I am more optimistic that we''ll have good passing creative football played with the team we have appointed but maybe a coach picks a style based on what players are available rather than having their own in-built preferences. Managing the players we have already got is what is required at Norwich at present.

For now, the most important thing is to avoid going down to League One, and depite our position in the league I still believe we have enough quality already in our squad to stay up, but we need to perform consistently at the level our players would appear to have ''on paper''. We''ve been desperately unlucky with injuries this season, but Roeder''s real failure was to get us a proper striker last summer. It was clear during pre-season that we needed one, which prompted Russell to be switched there, but we''re months on and we''ve still not solved that problem. Let''s hope we can get Ched Evans back now that Bellamy has gone to Man City.

Appointing Gunn and making sure that everyone is united in the purpose of saving Norwich City from relegation is kind of like battening down the hatches, but is a reasonable management decision in that it will get us to the summer and during that time we will see what happens in attracting new money into the club. Until that new money comes in we''re pretty much stuck where we are. There aren''t many options other than getting unity into the squad and trying to boost confidence and morale and that hopefully will lead to improved performance and results. The only way this squad will avoid relegation is if we all stay together as fans, management, board, and players. That''s why Roeder had to go, and why Gunn is not a bad choice under those circumstances.

If we go down, then we''re even less likely to attract any new investment, which is the only way the club will ever get out of its current predicament. At this point in the season with no money and limited opportunity to bring in better players to improve the squad, we''re only going to survive by sticking together. I would say that no-one should have any doubts about the commitment this new management team will have to Norwich City, so we should give them no doubts that we support them and want them to succeed.

I wish everyone at Norwich City the very best for the future. If Saturday''s performance and attitude continues, then we''ll be able to keep moving in the right direction again in the league.

Dave.

Why are people talking about a 3 man team, thought Deehan was just the chief scout?

Who has taken Stevenson''s place as manager of the Ressies?

These appointments may not be the ideal but very realistic one.  Combination of Crook and Gunn seems to be as synergy.  I believe we already have talented squad but Roeder couldn''t see it.  I think Crook & Gunny can bring the best out of Croft, Hoolahan, Lupoli.100% support from me.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

you only have to look at forest for an example of ambition. sack the manager then employ some one with proven experience and then look what happens.

how many other clubs appoint their head of player recruitment as their manager? none

[/quote]

I''m as disappointed as you sound.  However, shouldn''t we just back them until they give us just cause not to?

There is no doubt they are Y&G through and through, Gunny has good man management as players have stated recently, he''s well known by all, players and fans alike, he''s been with the club 22 years so knows what the fans are all about, he knows how this club ticks.  Chippy has always wanted a CR return, both those men are legends.  Deehan will do ok for us IMO.

The feel good factor could be back at CR and a positive atmosphere can work wonders for the players.  They can play without fear under the new management team, and start to enjoy their game with pretty much free reign on the pitch, as last Saturday showed us.

Yes it''s a risky move by the board, but all I care about are points on the table and us being saved from relegation, and if this new management team achieve that then I will be one very happy bunny.

[quote user="Pongtorn "]These appointments may not be the ideal but very realistic one.  Combination of Crook and Gunn seems to be as synergy.  I believe we already have talented squad but Roeder couldn''t see it.  I think Crook & Gunny can bring the best out of Croft, Hoolahan, Lupoli.100% support from me.[/quote]AGREE 100% To all the doubters: DO NOT get behind Gunn - at least , not until he''s given you good cause. Just get behind the team for now. That will do nicely (as we used to say).We will beat Southampton. We will stay up.

like it or not the decision has been made,

the time now is to get behind the team

OTBC

NEVER MIND THE DANGER

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="Pongtorn "]These appointments may not be the ideal but very realistic one.  Combination of Crook and Gunn seems to be as synergy.  I believe we already have talented squad but Roeder couldn''t see it.  I think Crook & Gunny can bring the best out of Croft, Hoolahan, Lupoli.

100% support from me.
[/quote]
AGREE 100% To all the doubters: DO NOT get behind Gunn - at least , not until he''s given you good cause. Just get behind the team for now. That will do nicely (as we used to say).

We will beat Southampton. We will stay up.
[/quote]

Cheap option, there''s no doubt about it!

What a complete anti-climax!! The board going down the easy option once again......did they learn nothing with peter grant!!!!!! Would be interesting to know if ady boothroyd turned us down we he just wasn''t considerd at all????

Guys look everyones saying this is the cheap option maybe it is but maybe the players wanted this to. We need to get behind them everyone needs to cheer for the team like they against Barnsley believe in Gunny. I also think he''s the one that would bring Hucks back as well. Dont''t get down on the manager (especially one as legendary as Gunny) before he even has a chance to get going.

To be honest after the 4 - 0 win it is the logical choice till the end of the season. We don''t have the money to tempt anyone with the promise of a January spend. Crook at Gunn''s side is a very good move. They will have the fans behind them big time. Lets hope the players play as we are told they can for them too. If it works out well then the board must back is managment team with some real cash come the summer or they should be the ones to go.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

Yes this is the cheap option, but does that mean its the worst option? No it doesn''t! We need someone who knows the team, knows the club to save us from relegation this season, and thats what we have got, with Gunny, Deehan and Crook. OTBC!!!!

It''s not so much the Gunny appointment as the other two.

I''ve supported City since the 60''s and can well remember Chippy but why does everybody seem to think he will do well here now? Can''t see anything on his cv that makes me think he will.... and as for Deehan, well as long as he''s just chief scout I suppose that''s ok.

I hope Gunny does the business but i do hope this board goes asap.

[quote user="Stevo the dutch canary"]Guys look everyones saying this is the cheap option maybe it is but maybe the players wanted this to. We need to get behind them everyone needs to cheer for the team like they against Barnsley believe in Gunny. I also think he''s the one that would bring Hucks back as well. Dont''t get down on the manager (especially one as legendary as Gunny) before he even has a chance to get going.[/quote]

Munby said on radio Norfolk that Russell told him after the game that Gunny should have the job.

FOOTBALL MUST COME FIRST

I am going to back this management completely until the end of the season, and I have an open mind as to what should happen after that. We already have the players that can keep us up and Gunn has already shown that he can motivate them, whereas Roeder appeared to demotivate them.  Some people on here say that Gunn has no contacts, but I read that Sir Alex Ferguson rang him before the Barnsley game with congratulations !!

Gunn wanted the job, and some people here say that he should not take it because he will ruin his legend status. I think this is a spurious argument, and Gunn will earn even more respect for having the courage to take the job. I certainly do not think any less of John Deehan for his attempts to bring further success to Norwich in the 90s. Gunn will eventually fail at Norwich, because all (barring one or two notable exceptions perhaps!!)  managers do, so as long as he steps down when the majority of supporters deem that he should, I really see no problem.

Good Luck Brian !!

We have our club back and the new appointments will no doubt receive the support and backing of the majority of supporters. The GR experience has focussed the Boards attentions on the " green and yellow blood " direction that the club intends to go. Being frightened of appointing anyone without the right "blood" has limited their choices. It has got to work or else we are relegated.

I personally don''t feel so confident as I would have done with an experienced manager at the helm but the addition of Crook and Deehan might compensate for that. There will be a feelgood factor around Carrow Road for next match, lets hope the euphoria created will prove to be a pivotal factor in keeping us up.

Would have preferred experienced manager but am happier than when GR was here, but aren''t we all.