Sign in to follow this  
lincoln canary (& Golden Coppel)

are you all happy with gun yes/no

I think some of the posters have hit the nail on the head, If it were Just Gunn then I''d be very unhappy, but I think the package of all three is a good apointment, similar to the England rugby, appoint an inspirational figure head who commands respect, but has F-all managment expirence, back him up with top coaches. I think the board did good on this one (a scary thought!)

NO

It is a huge gamble to appoint someone with ZERO managerial experience bar 1 game. We needed experience to give us our best chance of survival. If we get relegated now it will be entirely down to this decision. I only hope that at the first signs of a bad run Gunn walks and doesn''t force the fans to turn on him like they have had to do with most managers before him.

[quote user="The Huckerby Delusion"]I think some of the posters have hit the nail on the head, If it were Just Gunn then I''d be very unhappy, but I think the package of all three is a good apointment, similar to the England rugby, appoint an inspirational figure head who commands respect, but has F-all managment expirence, back him up with top coaches. I think the board did good on this one (a scary thought!)
[/quote]

Please do correct me if I''m wrong as I am by no means an expert on Crook''s coaching career but as far as I am aware he has been coaching in a series on tin pot leagues which would leave a big question mark for me as to whether he is up to the task in our very competitive league.

And what has Deehan done since getting us relegated as manager?

I''m sorry but the addition of those two to Gunn''s inexperience does not inspire me. But nonetheless I hope it works out well for them.

"If we get relegated now it will be entirely down to this decision" - and nothing at all to do with the preceeding 24 games !?Lets face it, there is no manager on the candidate list who could guarantee our surival from the position we are in now, we have a definite chance of going down,and should all accept that.All choices were gambles, at least with this one we can pull the plug in the summer in league one, or even in a few games time if another manager comes along, with very little financial cost.  And lets face it, if we are in League one, Gunn et al might as well stay on, we will be fighting against lots of other clubs managed by unproven / upcoming management teams, and who is to say that our three will do any worse.

i am in 2 minds about this move by the city board.  I think Gunny should be given a chance. The problem is when it all goes wrong then the fans will turn on him and his legendary status is on the line not just his future with Norwich City Football Club.  If it does work out for him and he does manage to turn the team around and keep us in the Championship then that would be superb for everyone and the board will escape with a cheap and lucky escape and also they will suceed in getting the fans off their backs once more.  Which seems to be one of the things the board do well.  Obviously Gunny has accepted the job on a short term low paid salary as he is yellow and green through and through and we have to appreciate the fact he is doing this job for the fans, the club and those players not because he wants a stepping stone into a management career.  my biggest fear from now on is if this board can not only destroy the club as they have done up until now, but also destroy the legends that this club love and adore.

Yes (for now)....

seems like the cheap option , but if he and the rest of the management team can get the players fired up like on saturday then this could be a great appointment.

Everyone has to start somewhere so good luck Gunny[Y]

Yes!

Really hope everyone gets behind him and the team knowing that even if it doesn''t work out, Gunn will show integrity and leave of his own volition.

Yes.

Of course it''s the cheap option.

In our situation the cheap option was the only option and with that in mind, the management team (with Butterworth to come as assistant) is a great appointment.

Besides, the less money we spend on hiring managers, the more we might have for a striker and centre back.

I don''t want an Ince who would scarper to a ''bigger club'' if things went well or a maverick like Boothroyd who, like Roeder, has a habit of alienating certain players.

It''s about time the class of 93 came back and the board deserve credit for what is a brave and canny decision.

NO. Board cutting corners again. Fans deserve better. All I ask is the club appoint a manager with even moderate success against his name. We all know what happened last time we appointed a Jock with no experience dont we?

[quote user="Lrrr"]it makes sense for the board to appoint a management we will not dislike, even if things go badly.
[/quote]

How on earth did you come to this conclusion?

[quote user="TheCanaryFan"]NO. Board cutting corners again. Fans deserve better. All I ask is the club appoint a manager with even moderate success against his name. We all know what happened last time we appointed a Jock with no experience dont we?[/quote]

I see where you''re coming from in terms of this being ''the cheap option'' and I agree to a large extent, but I think this is the board cutting their cloth, rather than cutting corners.

The board have made many mistakes IMO but the feel good factor from Saturday was priceless and I think they are taking a calculated gamble. 

If it goes drastically wrong, we can take another roll of the dice in 8/10 games time; if we had appointed a new man it went drastically wrong, we''d be stuffed.

No

Lets face it this is a risk as he''s unproven in the transfer market and has no experience of team sellection, tactics etc. The second half of this season is crucial and not the time to be taking risks. Having said that I have huge respect for the guy and I will totally behind him in hoping he is a success.