Sign in to follow this  
The ghost of Michael Theoklitos

A possible solution to our problem.

I was wrong. I’m big enough to admit that.

At the end of last year, I was one of those who thought that Roeder was going to be the messiah. I thought he was going to guide us up the league table. I thought all the doubters on here would be made eat their words after a great 2008/09 season, and then pushed for promotion next year. Call me optimistic, idealistic or stupid, but in my heart of hearts, I believed.

I was wrong.

At least I have the ability to admit when I was wrong though, unlike our manager.

In my now more educated opinion, Roeder has turned out to be an arrogant, pig headed manager with little tactical knowledge. I also think quite a few people on this forum – maybe even the majority - can now see this.

Is all lost though? I do believe the squad we have now is much better that the one he inherited over a year ago. We do appear to look a lot better in the quality department, even if this hasn’t translated into points on the table. For all his flaws, I do believe Roeder does have one strength. This strength is his ability to identify good players. He just appears to struggle to get them working together as a winning unit. (OK, so we don’t own a lot of these players, but that’s a whole other debate)

From reading this forum more than posting on it, I see that quite a few of us believe if we wanted to get rid of Roeder, we might have an issue having the money to do this. Let me ask you this though. Do we need to get rid of him from the club entirely? I expect to get shot down for this proposal, but I think that Roeder might still be able to do a job for us – in a Director of Football role. That way, we can keep his scouting network, his contacts in the game, and his ability to improve the quality of the squad while having someone who knows what they’re doing run them on the pitch. The other main advantage is we wouldn’t have to find a chunk of money to buy him out of his contract.

I know the whole setup of a Director of Football type role is quite controversial, and there are plenty of instances where the role hasn’t quite worked in other clubs. If it doesn’t work though, we just don’t renew Roeder’s contract when it’s up, and we end up with the change in manager we so desperately need.

Does anyone else think this setup might work, or am I going to be wrong again?

I agree that Roeder''s strengths are under what a Director of Football would do-- evaluate talent and build a team. In a perfect world, I think the solution you propose would be great... get all the benefits of his contacts without him tinkering with 20 different lineups and unsettling the squad with his arrogance.  The problem is there is no way Roeder would accept such a demotion, and I doubt you would find any coach that would be able to work under Roeder while at the same time retain their autonomy.  Roeder has no problems tossing his own players under the bus when it suits him, how do you think he will react to another coach?

I think Roder probably has to go, but not until we have a quality coach lined up to take his place.  The last thing I want is a caretaker manager, knowing his appointment is termporary, leaving the squad just as unsettled as it is now. If we can''t get Boothroyd/Mackay to come bail us out, I think we just have to pray we stay up this season and take care of this in May.  And if Roeder can manage to turn it around and bring us up to a top half of the table finish, then he should actually keep his job.  We''re not a playoff squad, but we shouldn''t be relegated either.  If we can finish around 10-12th in the league, let him stay. But if we''re hanging onto Colahip football by the skin of our teeth, then Glen can''t blame Delia or anyone else.. he built the team and teams with lesser budgets are finishing well ahead of us.

I too had the same thoughts, even went onto Canary call and stated He is the man to take us back to the Prem and onto Europe,But with the Backing of the Club,We the fans have done our job, pity no one else has,but even with the funds to spend I think we would still be in trouble under his leadership.