Sign in to follow this  
paul williams

coventry v norwich

this was the first game i had taken my little girl to and my god was it boring okay i didn''t expect there to be a great match but i''d heard how worthington had been trying to pass the ball round well and to be honest they didn''t.

To start with coventry 6ft5 ish centre half totally marked svenson out for the first half before he was substituted so he won''t be a very good target man if thats all we have to offer at the beginning of the season. Bentley looked good showed some nice touches, aswell as mckenzie who tackled back very well. Mc Veigh looked rubbish on the right okay i suppose he was out of position but what annoyed me was nobody tried to go past players it was a friendly so at least have a go. Holt and francis both played their normal game with francis making a few good runs. First half edworthy and drury both looked solid without doing anything great waswell as brennan in the seocnd half, Charlton looks very small but very composed on the ball and fleming was solid, my man of the match would have to go to green looks very good didn''t have a lot to do but he did''nt make any mistakes either. Second half saw jarvis on whos bulking out more now another season and he could look very promising i''d still like to see him and shackell go for a three month loans somewhere so we can recall them if we needed to. Henderson looked lively and was willing to try to beat his man the only one that was but abbey good bye and thanks looks fit enough but showed no skill.

It was a shame joe lewis didn''t come on but i think worthy didn''t want to lose the game and they were having to many shots on goal so thats why i think he left it.

We need a right midfielder, a striker and a back up/or really good centre half i know thats what we''re all saying but we need them now not a day before the start of the season so come on worthy stop all this waiting around and get signing its been 2 months since we''ve been promoted and its only two weeks to go !! Yes i know hucks, helveg and safri were''nt playing but there will be injuries during the season.

Current team we''ll be relegated three new players we stand a chance

I went to and yes, it felt like a training session. Neither side really pushed themselves and the tempo was pretty slow. But I realised as I was watching it that I shouldn''t really expect anything else at this stage of pre-season. No one wants to get injured, its just about getting fit and back into the groove.

Anyone who bases our chances this coming season on how we play in the pre-season games alone should take a look at some of the other friendly results today to see how meaningless they can be.

But, and here''s the rub. We played largely our 1st XI from last season (minus Hux) and guess what, we looked like we did last season. Hardly surprising is it? There''s at least Hux and Helveg to add to today''s team, plus Safri and the other 2 players that Worthy keeps saying he''s looking at.

At the end of last season we thought ''great to go up, we''ll come back down of course, but we''ll have some fun anyway''. Then Rick Waghorn announced that we were really quite good and would surprise a few people. Now everyone is getting diappointed because we can''t suddenly steamroller teams that we fought against last season.

I''m not referring to you PW, but as we were leaving the ground and heard people slagging off the team and performance (one guy said it was ''obscene'') as my mate commented to me "Moaners are back, moaners are back, whoa, whoa!, whoa, whoa!"

Ama.

Going on this report it backs up my thinking of a few posts ago when I stated that I still believed City need another 2 or 3 quality signings if we hope to make a go of it. I know this was only a friendly but these players are also playing for their places so one would have thought that they were also playing to somewhat close to their ability. I hope we can hold our own in the Premiership but firmly believe we will struggle badly if we do not add to our current squad with more quality. Yess Helveg is good but lets face it, Charlton and Safri were not names that were being banded about on this message board as potential signings and lets face it there were thousand of names flying around. Please prove me wrong as I want nothing more than for us to succeed after supporting them for 44 years but I just get the feeling that if we do not add to this squad we will struggle and it will be a case of after the lord mayors show after last season.

This post is echoing the point I made in another thread, (the ''at least we''ll get some goals next season'' one,) that we really don''t know anything about next season yet. Some are saying we''ll surprise a few people, (the majority on this board + Rick Waghorn), and others like NavMan are saying 2 or 3 new faces are essential but the truth is that neither group can tell at the moment.
Yes, the Coventry game was a friendly and theoretically players would have been playing for their places but equally players could be off full fitness or knackered, (Helveg), and also who knows what Worthy has told the players individually about where they are going to fit in next season.
The same applies to speculation about systems and teams. Worthy has his ideas and there''s just no way of knowing how this is going to work out until the season is underway. That said, it is interesting to speculate and personnally I feel that NavMan is right, another 2 players would be important for survival, get that striker in and I would like to see some more creativity in midfield, (and get Mulryne in the starting 11 too!).
So, will it be after the Lord Mayor''s Show or whole other Lord Mayor''s Show, we''re going to have to wait and see...