Sign in to follow this  
Canary Jim

Baggies sign Gera for £1.5 mil

we have zis language problem (in italien)

To be honest I''m not really bothered what the Baggies do. If they want to spend all there money on unproven players thats fine with me. Its one less relegation place to fill and when they get relegated Megson will realise how stupid he has been.

i''m surprised they seem to be spending loads on unproven top class players. we all know that spending does not buy you survival - Ipswich, Bradford, Leeds are the ones we always mention but I was surprised to hear this morning on the premiership years on sky that Sunderland spent £20m two seasons ago when they went down.

West Brom have spent over £5Mill on 7 players.

Whereas we have spent under £1Mill on 5 players. And i know which set of signings i would rather have.

While Kanu may be considered an excellent signing, i don''t rate him and neither does Wenger whereas everyone at Arsenal rates Bentley as top,top,top.

Also does Kanu fit in with Megson hardworking team, I wouldn''t be surprised to see them falling out. With the wages he is probably on and on a 3 year deal he could cripple WBA if they go down.

Every Albion player we have contracted at the club has a relegation wage decrease clause in their contract, the reason Kanu and Greening were so hesistant to sign was because of this clause, and they waited to see if anyone else offered them more money. I think someone mentioned on another thread that Kanu was on less wages than Helveg, I''m not to sure about this, He will earn about £20k/week, making him the highest paid player in the clubs history, if we go down it will decrease by half as will every other players, and in some cases (AJ) even more! I''d think Helveg would earn about the same as Kanu, possibly more, either way he''ll be an inspirational signing for you.

I forget who said that we''d spent over £5m on transfers and yourselves only £750,000, and that you were more pleased with your signings than you would be with ours. That''s yours and probably most other Norwich fan''s opinions, which is fine, football is a game based on opinions, and if everyone shared the same view it would be rather dull. Personally I''m very excited by our signings, I know what Kanu, Greening and Purse can do; reports in Denmark from the club websites seem to imply that Scimeca and Albrectsen have been very good, with Scimca the star man in our first match, the new goalkeeper sounds as if he will provide some good competition for Houlty and Murphy. As for Zoltan Gera, I have no idea what he''ll be like, I only know that quite a few repuatble clubs across Europe were chasing his signature, including beskitas who offered him a better deal than us, but couldn''t afford the transfer fee because of the money they spent on Carew. And in my opinion I''d take our signings over yours, but May 2005 will prove whether the money has been well spent or not.

Who are you rumoured to be interested in now that Primus is staying at pompey? Not officially mind, but who are the press you linking you with?

Great post Who.
I think what is happening at West Brom is indicative of what has to happen for clubs of our size. Obvoiusly we want City to survive, but we need to be mindful of long term planning (what did happen to the Ipswich five year plan?) and the Baggies going up, coming down and then back up again is reflected by this current and frankly better batch of signings than you did last time (in fact I cant remember you making many signings at all).

Charlton, Bolton and others needed a couple of years before they could build the squad to sufficient depth and from the outside I think Purse and in particular Greening who I have always highly rated will be great additions. Kanu? Well who knows, but if he does get going he can be immense. That is if The Ginger One doesnt insist on him going back to defend at corners!!

Our players too are on specific relegation wage reduction clauses. Very sensible. I think probably only Hucklebury''s contract is free from such clause, but then again his wage cut (which wasn''t as large as some would have you believe) was adaquately compensated by his promotion bonus.

Going down this year? We''ll see. My money is on Palace, and there is always a club that hits bad times that have been up for a while (that could be Everton) and that leaves one other. All is not well with Souness but he has got rid of a couple of bad pennies so they may be OK. Whatever happens think the City/Baggies games are gonna be big ones!!!

I''m not to sure about this, He will earn about £20k/week, making him the highest paid player in the clubs history, if we go down it will decrease by half as will every other players, and in some cases (AJ) even more!

who?2,

Can you explain the above bit of your post to me please. Are you saying that the West Brom players have all got a clause in their contracts to take a 50% wage decrease if they get relegated and that AJ has ,on his new 2 year deal he has just signed,agreed to take more than a 50% decrease?

I know that AJ earns about £6k in the Premiership, but only £2.5k in the 1st Div. It''s an estimation, but I know Megson has said he won''t sign players who don''t care about the future of the club. I''d expect Kanu''s wage to drop to £12k probably, Greenings to £8k and the same with Koumas, who''s also signed a new deal. Last season in the Premiership Hughes was our top earner with £15k but in the 1st Div he earned £8k. I know a few players wages for fact, but with our new signings I''m purely speculating. I may be very wide from the truth, but I know we had a wage bill of £5m last season and if we were to go down again this year I''d expect that to be about £7/8m which would pretty much take up all of the parachute payment.

Saying that though if we go down, I fully expect Kanu, Koumas, Hoult, Gaardsoe and others to leave the club, which would take away at least two of our highest earners.

Oh sorry I should have said on his old deal, I know nothing about any contracts signed this pre-season, other than Koumas earning about £16k/week