Sign in to follow this  
Rustys 1st Touch

Line up for Charlton: Cort has to start!

If Carl Cort is ever going to get match fit then surely he has to start on Tuesday night. Otherwise his contract should be terminated. Simple as. Give him about 70 minutes to get him ready for Saturday.

Would also like to see us go back to a traditional 442. With Bell and Croft crossing into Cort and Lupoli feeding off any knockdowns. This is not the time to start playing intricate passing football. Its about getting back to basics. Id also have Drury and Russell in the starting line up for added height and experience.

Marshall

Otsemobor   Omosuzi   Doherty  Drury

Croft          Clingan    Russell       Bell

Lupoli      Cort

Any thoughts?

marshall

omuzuzi      docherty    grounds  drury

clingan

bell                        pattison

hoolahan

lupoli                cort

subs. rudd, fozzy, russell, daley, smith

croft needs a rest - been very average of late. as for semmy and bertrand they need to be dropped from the squad all together after there performances on sat and made to work bloody hard to regain there places.

[quote user="lincoln canary"]

marshall

clingan

hoolahan

croft needs a rest - been very average of late. as for semmy and bertrand they need to be dropped from the squad all together after there performances on sat and made to work bloody hard to regain there places.

[/quote]

Agree with all the above Lincoln.  My only other thought is whether Semmy and Plastic were actually told to perform like that - that is stick within an area 20 yards shy of the half way line, ten yards in from the touchline!  That was until I saw Roeder complain about Semmy''s (lack of an) attempt to block Webber''s cross for their goal. and Plastic''s non-marking of the goalscorer.  Maybe he might drop them both.

PS:  we''re allowed 7 subs on Tuesday - but maybe like me you couldn''t see where the other 2 might come from! 

[quote user="shefcanary"][quote user="lincoln canary"]

marshall

clingan

hoolahan

[/quote]

Agree with all the above Lincoln.  My only other thought is whether Semmy and Plastic were actually told to perform like that - that is stick within an area 20 yards shy of the half way line, ten yards in from the touchline!  That was until I saw Roeder complain about Semmy''s (lack of an) attempt to block Webber''s cross for their goal. and Plastic''s non-marking of the goalscorer.  Maybe he might drop them both.

PS:  we''re allowed 7 subs on Tuesday - but maybe like me you couldn''t see where the other 2 might come from! 

[/quote]

Simon Lappin? Might get another place on the bench.

I''d like to see Bell play and try to hit crosses to Cort. I reckon we could get some joy from crosses and set plays with Bell''s delivery although admittedly he hasn''t played as well in recent weeks.

Just look at Man Utd its all about width, crosses and good set piece delivery thats the way we need to play. We need to get our full backs going forward and giving us more options.

For my money we have been far too negative at home and really need to go at teams and get the crowd on our side. If we sit off against any side in this league they will eventually make us suffer, lets give them something to worry about.

Carl Cort is not going to start, he is not match fit and would only last 45 mins at a push.

Roeder''s team will probably be:

Marshall

Semmy Doc Drury Bertrand

Croft Clingan Patty (russell if patty not fit) Bell

Hoolahan

Lupoli

With everyone else and Korey Smith on the bench.

But otsemobor and Bertrand have been poor of late, id prefer to give them a rest and play:

Marshall

Omosuzi Doc Drury Lappin

Croft clingon patterson bell

Hoolahan

Lupoli

But we all know that glenn is more likely to resign than start lappin.

Grounds is ineligible as are charltons new signings including Murty as they were not with the club for the first leg. Grounds didnt come on for boro in the last round so would be able to play against sheff u or LO if we progressed. With 7 subs and ony 17 fit pros (including lappin) my guess is that Korey smith will make the bench again

Have I missed something or did Cort pick up an injury ? I keep hearing he is not match fit but if that''s the case why was he sitting on the bench against Sheff Utd ? Almost bottom of the table, 1-0 down, 20 mins left so nothing to lose except perhaps another goal. Why wasn''t Cort with his height and strength not brought on ? To my simple mind it beggars belief that Roeder having got Cort to warm up on and off during the game didn''t bring him on in those last 20 minutes. I went to the Reading match and saw Cort win every high ball in the 2nd half but his flick-ons were wasted because Russell (who IMO is a good, tenacious midfielder who should not be played up front)  was tired out. We chanted for Lupoli to come on, Lupoli was duly warmed up and then told to get back on the bench. Roeder''s decisions, or lack of them, defy logic. What on earth is wrong with the man ? Against Charlton, I think Cort should start with Lupoli so that we can try and create a lead for once. If Roeder feels that Cort can''t last the whole game why not start with him as an "impact starter" (from Roeder''s mouth I believe). No other combination seems to work. Surely better to go for it from the start at home against Charlton in the FA Cup than to wait until they score and then react ? More importantly, the Charlon players must be lacking in confidence even more so than the Norwich players so surely the tactic should  be to hit them "with all we have got" (not much I know, ha ha !) from the start, try and go one up early on and further shatter their confidence. This game is important - an opportunity to win a game for God''s sake, boost the players'' confidence, blood a couple of reserve players (if we are 2 - 0 up with 20  minutes left) and generate some revenue.

............... and as a postcript why or why do some posters on here call for Roeder to do the decent thing and resign ? Of course he isn''t going to resign. He may be a  bit limited in the grey matter dept but he isn''t stupid. No one in their right mind walks away from a lucrative pay-off especially when they must realise that this might be their last job for some considerable time. Personally, I don''t think Grant went without compensation. It may have looked like he walked the plank without anybody prodding him but I''m doubtful.

why not play:

Marshall

Semmy Doc Omosuzi Drury

Bell Cling Hools Lappin

Cort Lups

Lappin would give more balance, cort would give presence up front, If we get pushed back Lups could fall back in a 4-5-1 with Lappin more central or bringing in Patt/Russel

Croft to come on if bell/team are just rubbish.

Im a firm believer in having players in the right place, either that or change your system.

please feel free to agree/disagree etc

My team would be:

Marshall

Omozusi   Doc   Drury   Bertrand

Croft   Clingan   Pattison   Lappin

Hoolahan

Lupoli

SUBS: Rudd, Otsemobor, Bell, Smith, Russell, Cort, Renton

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]

My team would be:

Marshall

Hoolahan

Lupoli

[/quote]

What concerns me here is the lack of any heightt or strength up front. IMO defenders need to have the worry of a big so and so clattering them otherwise it''s too easy - we don''t have quality "small" players the likes of Tevez, Bellamy  etc

[quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]

My team would be:

Marshall

Hoolahan

Lupoli

[/quote]Good shout W-W-W-B - but Lappin? Sadly not - though expect him on the bench because Roeder needs bodies (FA rules?) and he likes to make Lappin sit around. Cort I fear is the new Velasco: a desperate Roeder signing. He''ll make the bench if "fit".

[quote user="Binky"][quote user="We Want Worthy Back"]

My team would be:

Marshall

Hoolahan

Lupoli

[/quote]
Good shout W-W-W-B - but Lappin? Sadly not - though expect him on the bench because Roeder needs bodies (FA rules?) and he likes to make Lappin sit around. Cort I fear is the new Velasco: a desperate Roeder signing. He''ll make the bench if "fit".
[/quote]

I don''t agree re Cort. To be fair to Roeder (not easy I know) he was/is worth a gamble. No fee, must be being paid low wages so not really a cost, a no lose situation and he brings some experience to the dressing room. I saw Cort play at Reading, the second half and he looked a genuine threat. Lasted most of the 2nd half without problem and then after that hardly gets a look in. Hoolahan and Lupoli up front offer no physical presence and neither has much pace. Hoola, Lupoli AND Cort would be exciting but not going to happen. Huckerby and Lupoli would interest me but no point in wasting my breath.

mr roeder....how is cort ment to get match fit if you dont play him?????  yet another inept managerial decision

you can trian as much as you like..but sharpness and full match fitness comes from playing games....bench warming doent get you fit

Marshall

Omosuzi       Doc         Grounds         Drury

Bell            Clingan        Russell         Hoolihan

Lupoli       Cort

For the first half..Just play a simple 4-4-2 and see how we get on with Bell and Hoolihan on either side.
Get some crosses in and see how Cort deals with it. Also give Crofty a rest for at least a half!

Second half, if it''s not going well:

Marshall

Omosuzi       Doc       Grounds          Drury

Clingan     Russell

Croft                 Hoolihan              Bell/Pattison   

Lupoli

That''s all depending on fitness of Cort in particular. He probably won''t last much into the second half; if at all.

WWWB surely Fotheringham deserves a place on the bench, i thought he was one of our best players against shef u. But we cant play with two defensive central midfielders. I would always start Clingan and either patty or russell, though sacrificing Russell up front for midfield could harm his prolific form in front of goal

I believe that Cort is on a "pay as you play" deal anyway due to him being a "calculated gamble". I don''t think Roeder will go with two up front unless he goes for Russell (A ridiculous idea, Russell is a midfielder). He will probably go with:

Marshall

Omozuzi, Doherty, Drury, Bertrand

Croft, Clingan, Pattison

Hoolahan

Lupoli.

Subs: Nelson, Semmy, Fozzy, Bell, Russell, Lappin, Smith/Cort.

I would start with Cort up front with Lupoli and have Renton on the bench to replace him after 10 minutes when he has had enough.Marshall,Otsemobor,Doc,Omo,DruryCroft,Clingan,Russell,Hoolahan,Cort,Lupoli.Subs; Rudd,Renton,Bell,Daley,Fozzy,Lappin and Smith.

Marshall

Otsemobor Doherty Grounds Drury

Russell Clingan Pattison

Hoolahan

Cort         Lupoli

Something a little bit different- a combative midfield with Hoolahan given free reign, and then have the two full backs,as well as Russell and Pattison all bombing on, with Clingan sitting in front of the defence spraying the ball about. Should hopefully see some fight in this side anyway, and you could deploy croft later on when their defence tires.

Marshall

Omo Drury Doc Bertrand

Bell Clingan  Pattison Hooolie

Croft

Lupoli

What about Croft in a free role???

In our position right now we need to be sticking to bloody basics. Target man, little man up front. Left winger with a left foot, right winger with a right foot, defensive option and attacking option in the middle, and the most solid looking back 4. Keep the bleeding ball at all costs, don''t try any hollywood s**t, work the ball wide and get it in the box for the big man as often as possible. If we get in the s**t at the back HOOF the bloody thing and with the target man up there we''ve got a chance of him winning it/holding it up/potentially playing the smaller striker in. It''s got to the point now where all this pretty football, though it promised much, has to be chucked out the window. If we''re to stay up we have to fight for it.

My team would be:

Semmy   Doc  Omosuzi   Drury

Clingan

Croft                  Pattison   Hoolahan

Cort            Lupoli

Semmy only makes it because Omosuzi looks far more sold in the middle with doc. Drury at left back as he''s been there and done it. Pattison and Clingan in the middle for the fight, with Croft and Hoolahan providing for Cort and Lupoli. Hard to drop Bell as his set piece delivery is good but he doesn''t attack full backs enough.

[quote user="Lupo Loop"]

If Carl Cort is ever going to get match fit then surely he has to start on Tuesday night. Otherwise his contract should be terminated. Simple as. Give him about 70 minutes to get him ready for Saturday.

Would also like to see us go back to a traditional 442. With Bell and Croft crossing into Cort and Lupoli feeding off any knockdowns. This is not the time to start playing intricate passing football. Its about getting back to basics. Id also have Drury and Russell in the starting line up for added height and experience.

Marshall

Otsemobor   Omosuzi   Doherty  Drury

Croft          Clingan    Russell       Bell

Lupoli      Cort

Any thoughts?

[/quote]

yeah not to bad, i dont rate russell much this season so id put hoolahan in his place!

i would like to see one or two off the kids given a try, i mean they cant do any worse surley?

x

Marshall

Otsemobor Omozusi Doherty Drury

Bell Clingan Russell Lappin

Renton Lupoli

Subs: Rudd, Bertrand, Croft, Pattison, Hoolahan, Cort, Daley

Give Bell a chance in his favoured position and rest croft who may start to get tired after alot of games in a small period.
Play russell in his normal positin.
Give Lappin a chance as he may want to prove himself.
Start Renton up front because he deserves a chance and he may make an impact like Martin did two seasons ago.

because cort isnt fit, its not worth bringing him on against tired legs, use his strength and height to tire the defence out in the first half, then he can sub him.as far as im concerned, having cort on the pitch would give the charlton boys something to think about and would help us tacticallyof course roeder wont do that as ive never managed england so know FA