Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

At least we'll hit the back of the net next year

I think we need to thank our lucky stars at our shrewd investment last year of strikers. IMO the signings of Sven, Leon and of the course the Huck was excellent planning for the Premiership. I''m confident that all 3 will be able to hold their own in the Premiership. And with the addition of the exciting Bentley, and possibly one more striker, I think we''re pretty damn lucky to be in the situation that we are.

I''d rather have our front line than Palace''s or West Brom''s (even with Kanu) any day.

Now, a central defender and right midfielder....... ;-)

Most teams who come up from Div1 struggle in the premiership as they can''t score, most notably a team such as Wolves, although I agree that we have players who can score and set-up goals, I am slightly worried that our top-scorer will finish with a single-figure total, where as in the premiership you really need a 15+ scorer to survive. Good example would be when the scum went up and Stewart scored a shedload

Do you seriously think we have a goalscorer as good as Andy Johnson (Palace)??

We have to be realistic, our strikers (and that includes Huckerby) would probably only feature in 2/3 of the other Prem squads.

I doubt Francis will be given the license to bomb forward at Old trafford and Highbury so the goals will be harder to share around this season. A new 20 goal a seaon striker is the main priority now.

It seems to me that our striking potential for next year is, to a large extent, an unknown quantity at the moment. Huckerby, if fit, is certainly going to score 10+ next season, (it needs to be 15+ though), and Svensson seems to be in good form going into the season. However, we do need another, proven, striker because, Huckerby aside, noone really knows how the others are going to get on next year. I really hope, (and secretly expect) that Leon comes good and bangs in 20+ but what happens if not or if Svensson can''t cut it against Premiership defenders. That leaves Huckerby''s goals, Bentley, (again, good reports but essentially an unknown quantity), plus whoever Worthy has got up his magical sleeves.. I wonder how many goals we''ll need to survive?

Can I just point out that we didn''t even have a 20+ or a 15+ goal scorer in the first division! We only had one player in double figures. I know they weren''t all here all season and had they been then... but why say "you really need a 15+ scorer to survive"? Would you say "you really need a 15+ scorer to get promoted"?

The fact is, you don''t on either count. Sure, you need goals, but who ever said they needed to come predominantly from one person? That''s to me like some people saying Charlton can''t cut it at CB because he''s 5''10". Like we''d all sleep happily if he was 2" taller, ignoring his record, technique and anything else that actually matters!

I''d just as soon have 4 players across the front who will score 10 goals each than 2 who will score 20, it gives us less reliance on one or two people.

Ama