Sign in to follow this  

Ok, so it will still be a tough game which we probably wont get anything from but...

''Arsenal may start the season without Patrick Vieira, Sol Campbell and Thierry Henry but Arsène Wenger insists none of them will leave the club.
Injuries sustained in Euro 2004 threaten to inflict more damage on Wenger''s plans than the potential lure of transfer funds from Real Madrid and Chelsea.

"It looks like we will be without all of those players for the start of the season and that will be a big blow," Wenger said''

Source: Guardian Online.

They''ll probably start Arsenals first game on august the 14th, its just mind games.

Theres no such thing as a weak Arsenal. Weve already got Bentley out of that game, and Huckerby, safri and Helveg are causes for concern. As it stands, we are in a far weaker position than arsenal. Having listened to the Coventry match, im starting to get a little concerned. We sucked.

CD,i really wouldn''t worry have you ever watched a pre season friendly that looked anything different from an amble in the park,i stopped going to them years ago ''cos they always leave you feeling worried.

CD, Why are you concerned after the Cov match? Did you look at some of the other results on Sat?

Stoke 2 West Brom 1
Plymouth 3 Southampton 1
Luton 1 Charlton 1
Aldershot 0 Portsmouth 0
QPR 3 Crystal Palace 0
Sheffield Wednesday 2 Bolton 2

and of course just as many with results that you''d expect. The point is though, should all these clubs be worried too? Would you take those results as a yardstick for how their season will likely pan out? Or do you take them with a pinch of salt and move on?

To be honest, its not the result that worries me! if we achieved a goalless draw away at Cov. in the 3rd rd of the FA Cup id be reasonalbly happy., but listening to the whole game on the radio, we sounded awful. To be fair the second half we livened up, mainly due to the introduction of a passer (Mulryne) and a crosser (Henderson). But Mcveigh, Mckenzie and Bentley were anonymous. Charlton was the high point, and Svensson toiled, but the others didnt sound as though theyve hit the straps at all. I just hope that when i take the CD brood to Real Mallorca on Saturday, the sun shines and so does citys football. I recall the pre seaon games before the play off year, we bristled with intent, and anyone could see we were ready for a successful season. perhaps the inclusion of Helveg/Huckerby will give us the necessary injection of quality we lack at the mo!

"I recall the pre seaon games before the play off year, we bristled with intent, and anyone could see we were ready for a successful season."

But we didn''t go up, and then last year scored more goals without giving any clues in pres-season that we would. All I''m saying is, don''t judge our prospects on one pre-season game, because its not a good indicator. The first few games of the season are a much better indicator, see last year....

Ama

I,m with no legs on this one. Although I always like to see City do well and win every game I was probably a bit premature in slating them after the Coventry game cos i have not been to a friendly in years knowing full well that the full commitment is not there and that all they are is games to get the team fit and up and running for the real cause. If I was a player with the Premiership only two weeks away you certainly would not see me give my all in a full blooded tackle in a game that means absoulutely nothing. These players are only human and they know full well there is nothing at stake and so do management. The real beasts will be unveilled on Aug 14. 2-0 to city. Svensson and Bentley.

Ah., but, the season before we had struggle badly, and no-one gave us a chance, We clobbered Leicester, and anyone could see the transformation, the new signings looked good, everything came to the boil. We were in fact minutes away from the premier league after a 49 game long season.. I just feel a little apprehensive about the new season, we are sorely in need of a tonic.

Clobbered Leicester?! Didn''t we draw 2-2?

But my point was, was last pre-season anything to get excited about, did it point to what was to come?

Mcveigh actually scored a perfectly good goal but it was ruled out by an officious referee.. They were prem at the time, so commanded some respect.