Sign in to follow this  
YankeeCanary

An Honest Dose Of Reality

If one is to avoid excessive disappointment at the likely turn of events in coming months it is necessary to add a healthy dose of reality to the current scenario at Carrow Road and the prognostications of some on this message board.

Having observed the off season transfer activity of Norwich and teams we will likely be competing with, it has to be concluded that, at this late stage of preparedness, Norwich ranks below average on what''s been achieved to date.

By the end of September it will be a major surprise if Norwich are not firmly rooted to the foot of the table in a manner similar to the Wolves start of last season. I will be very surprised if Norwich yields more than one point from the first six to seven games.

I have no axe to grind on how management decides to spend ( or not spend ) their money,
after all, it is their money. However, an objective observer would have to say that, compared to clubs of similar size/fan support etc., Norwich appear to be taking a very cautious approach to date. This comment is made after taking into account that it is wise to be prudent and not duplicate the foolhardy spending of many other clubs that have been cited by others. Delia and Michael may well be huge fans and love the club but I believe, first and foremost, they are very astute business people who saw an opportunity to make a shrewd investment last season when others were falling around them. Quite understandably, they are going to ensure they yield a good return on their investment, regardless of what unfolds over the next couple of seasons.

While I think Nigel developed into a reasonably capable manager for a Division One team, I suspect too many of us elevated him to a level beyond what he has yet to achieve. Much of last season he applied a style of play that was very defensive when many were advocating a much more attacking, passing game. I believe he eventually listened to the advice of others more than his own initiative and ultimately, of course, Norwich dramatically changed their style of play and ended up pulling away from the pack. It will be interesting to see how Nigel performs, as a manager, when his feet are held to the fire this season, as they surely will be.

Whether or not Norwich survives this first season back in the Premiership is, I believe, of secondary importance. What is more important is whether there is a strong 5 year strategic plan for the club. A time period that I believe will surpass the presence of Nigel Worthington and Delia Smith. I believe there should be a significant concern as to what is in store for the club''s future with respect to developing and maintaining a good squad and how we are managing that process. We have a lot of players who are both well into and also approaching their thirties, many of whom have not demonstrated the ability to perform at Premiership level. Regardless of how these players perform, one questions how they will be replaced. Many teams apply the approach of picking up experienced journeymen. This works well in lower divisions but not in the Premier. Norwich, understandably, never has been a big spending club and, while many like to wax eloquent about the Norwich Academy to bring good young players through the system, I''m not convinced that we have many of those or know particularly how best to develop them when they do show promise. We need to emulate what other clubs do with exceptional talents in giving these youngsters exposure such that by the time they are 18 or 19 they are ready to play for teams like Norwich. I believe better approaches could have been applied to players like Henderson, Shackell and Jarvis by loaning out to other clubs earlier, allowing them to have a chance to shine and develop their confidence in the professional ranks. This could potentially have them coming back to Norwich at no later than 19, more seasoned and ready to legitimately fight for a place on the first team.

A pretty fair assessment their YC. I have to say I agree with a lot said there.

I can''t wait for next season. Not because we are going to go to Highbury, Old Trafford and Anfield and win, because I know we''re not. I''m just excited that we''re going at all. Norwich City- Premier League club. I haven''t heard that for a few years.

I plan to enjoy next year a lot. It''s going to be very very tough, I know that. And yes there is a fair chance of getting relegated. But it''s going to be fun. Call young and ideological if you like YC,but next year will be the first year I will be able to appretiate being a supporter of a Premiership club. My first ever season ticket, when we got relegated 10years ago, I was only 8! I plan to take the rough with the very rough next year, and hope there''s a bit of smooth in there too!!

In some cases in the Premiership "experienced journeymen" can do quite a good job. Many at Bolton have for several years! Experience in the Premiership is sometimes just as vital as pace and agility. If we are to establish ourselves in the Premiership, or yo-yo for a few years it will be important to have the experience mixed with the quality. Not that experienced players can''t be quality but you know what I mean! The signing of Charlton I think demonstrates this. He has played at the top level for a good number of years and, although coming to the end of his playing career, will know the game very well. He''ll provide good advice for younger players. I could see us signing other Charlton''s in the coming years.

I think our younger players would benefit from going out on loan and getting regular first team football under their belts. I would like to see us let them go for a few months and see how they do.

Roll on 14th August- I can''t wait!

I agree DDIM!! Lets enjoy it!!
The reality is that Portsmouth stayed up with a lot of heart and some gutsy performances!! It is a case of being positive and believing in the players and management, because so far they have not done too bad?!?

There is lots of teams that will be around the bottom of the league, and who are we to break the tradition of 1st div champions survival!!????!!

Well said YC.I think we have all been suprised at the signings made so far.I work in the North East so get back for all home games but have access to Middlesbrough home games when City are away so i saw a lot of premiership games live last season and i cant see us suprising many teams im afraid. Bentley looked ordinary when he played at Boro last year and i think we are expecting a lot from a player no more experienced than Jarvis, Henderson etc. Nw is obviously working with a tiny budget and the squad appears little stonger than last year. Lending our younger players out is a good idea but itwould leave NW with about 18 players to work with!!

Lets give it 5 weeks, and see how doubters attitudes regarding our chances have altered. Doom and gloom, financial and business big talk, coupled with inane and boring in depth disection of what Norwich must do to remain in the Premiership, really pees me off. Lighten up for goodness sake, in less than a fortnight, we play our first game in the top flight in over 9 years! and negatives are writing us off as the "whipping boys" of the Prem. I am a realist, and yes, maybe we haven''t bought Double cheeseburger with extra large fries, washed down with a litre of diet-cola. But, if all those contributers, who fancy themselves as tactical geniuses, astute business men/women, or those who may have their own agenda on "whats best for this club and what we must do first Mr Manager, is put out to grass all the over 30''s!" please get real! Delia & her husband, rescued this marvellous club from an uncontrolled downward spiralling fall to Mother Earth. Yes, they are business & financially orientated, but believe me, they care about this Football Club, and with an undying passion! If it wasn''t for their personal contribution, we just might be playing in a lower division or even worse! Get off their backs! I would rather have this commited couple, than the last "control freak" who so very nearly sold us down the River Wensum. Unfortunately, we will have to make do with what we have, at this moment in time. We ain''t got the "megabucks," and this has been clearly outlined and stated before & after the celebrations of the promotion party, so it''s not as if it was hidden from the fee-paying supporters.

I''m really (like many others) looking forward to the forthcoming season, and remain positive on what we can achieve with what we have. Yes, we will get the odd spanking! and yes, I would be a fool to deny it. Hey! who gives a flying boot! I re-iterate my thoughts, and really think we will do alright. We have had some pre-season games and a "positive" promotional overseas tour. Although results from these games to me, are immaterial and ''pointless''. We are in for a very tough ride come the 14th of this month, but back in the pub for the post match de-brief, is one of the pleasures I''ve sorely missed. I''m really "chomping at the bit" for the walk to the ground and being fortunate to take in the atmosphere of our first match back in the big-time, and what it really means to the City and surrounding areas of Norfolk (and even those living further afield) Yes YC and fellow posters, I don''t deny that elements of your threads are what NCFC require to retain Premiership status in the long-term, and that we currently aren''t financially running with the pack. Although I''m pretty certain this board have contingency plans on what is required to maintain the Club on a fruitful & sound footing, and what you have stated in your thread, will probably be contained in these plans. But, stranger things have happened! 12 long months ago, I would never have imagined that I would be bashing out this reply to a post, with my hard -skinned index finger, knowing that we would be playing top-flight footie! No "Negative waves" please, lets discuss this at a later date, as 5 weeks is a long time in football! Leave it to the board in conjunction with the manager to sort out the finances and the purchase of players, or whether another eating establishment should be erected. We should stick to what we do best on this forum (whatever that is!)

I''m being Honest...I don''t have a Dose...And what exactly is Reality? ;~) OTBC

You speak a lot of sense, YC, but let''s not forget that the season is still a couple of weeks away and Worthington has stated that they''re trying to bring in new blood before the season starts. Whilst I don''t expect these to be massive signings, we really have no idea who NW wants to bring in, so we could yet see one or two signings that really signal our intent for next season.

Blue Hater is right about the young players here as well - in theory we should be loaning them out, I''d like to see them given an opportunity at, say, Peterborough, but we simply haven''t got the strength in depth to allow them this opportunity. The truth is that if we go into this season with the current squad, it''s more than likely that at least one of them will be playing.

Anyway, whether or not we''ve put Worthy on a pedastal too quickly remains to be seen, but I think the way he''s turned our squad from relegation candidates to run away league winners deserves the praise. If it was somebody else''s idea to change the tactics last year, the Worthy should be commended for not being too proud to alter his tactics accordingly. He''s a young manager, and one who has evidently learnt in his time as manager here - he''s more tactically astute, the days when he signed Rivers, Easton and Heckingbottom have been replaced with Helveg, Huckerby and Bentley.

Whilst you make a lot of sense, YC, I think the key thing here is to reserve judgement until we''ve played a few games next season. If anyone thinks we''ll survive without too much trouble, then I think they''re getting a little carried away - we should all be prepared to finish bottom, that way anything better than that is a bonus!

YC, some good points although I take issue with "they are going to ensure they yield a good return on their investment, regardless of what unfolds over the next couple of seasons".

If by yield you mean better football and at a higher level then yes. If you mean financial then I have to disagree - I would doubt that Delia will ever see any ''yield'' on her investment, if indeed she doesn''t end up writing it off bit by bit. I certainly didn''t buy shares (twice) expecting any yield! The money''s gone, I''m realistic about that! For her its surely just a matter of blowing some money on something she loves. End of.

I don''t really give a stuff about strategy at the moment. It still seems wierd that we are back where we used to feel at home so long ago and so much has happened since those heady days. Just lick your lips at a nice home game to start with and then 3 matches that we have been dreaming about and sum up why we have been spending our money and marching proudly to games with anticipation cursing through our veins. For too long the upper echelons of the Premierhsip have been irrelevant to us- we have been like detached observers watching other peoples'' parties. Now its our turn, they are coming our way this month. Some of the world''s best players and best clubs. Wow. 4th from bottom would be fantastic but we are going to be walloped a few times and if we go down again I feel that we will be better placed to ensure its nowhere near a 9 year banishment next time. Live the moment and let the Board worry about the long term. How many at Carrow Road on Saturday week will shout "Good goal, but where''s the 5 year plan?" as Hux scores the winner??