Sign in to follow this  
SuperWesIrishWizard

Peter Grant v Glen Roeder

I can remember despising Peter Grant even after he had left the club, in hindsight I was wrong to despise him. He made some woeful mistakes, lost the players, most of his signings were awful.

But you know what? He cared about the club, he cared about the fans, and realised pretty quickly that he wasnt the man for the job. He held his hands up, said that it hadnt worked out, walked away from the club knowing that he had underperformed but had been quite rightly remunerated for the time that he spent at the club at least knowing that he had given it a go and believed that he was doing tight. He walked away knowing that it would be a travesty for this club to go down and knew that the fans, the city and the legends of this great football club deserved better.

Glen Roeder, to the contrast, has made just as many mistakes, which he wont admit to, cares little about the fans, the city or the legends of this great football club and it would not bother him at all if this club went down. He would walk away with just another big flop on his CV but a larger bank balance, knowing that he probably wont get another job in football but also knowing that financially he doesnt need one.

It was well documented that Huckerby and Grant didnt see eye to eye, but I genuinely believe that even Grant would have kept Huckerby at this club in some form. The players didnt have a clue under Grant, the players dont have a clue under Roeder. Both have wasted money. There is very little to distinguish between these two in terms of performance on the pitch, performance in the transfer market, and the respect of the players.... both have very little.

There is a hell of a lot to distinguish between them in terms of dignity and loyalty to a cause. Grant cared about the clubs future and not just about his bank balance, Roeder is in this job because he somehow managed to persuade just another club to give him money to play with its future like a boys toy.

I therefore give my personal ratings in terms of performance as manager:

Overall Transfer Market Performace:           Grant 3/10        Roeder 3/10

Permanent Transfer Performace:                  Grant 3/10        Roeder 5/10

Tactical Ability                                            Grant 3/10        Roeder 3/10

Motivational Ability                                     Grant 2/10        Roeder 2/10

Team Selection                                           Grant 4/10        Roeder 3/10

Respect of the players                                 Grant 4/10        Roeder 3/10

Respect of the inherited backroom staff       Grant 6/10        Roeder 1/10

Respect of the fans                                      Grant 4/10        Roeder 2/10

Loyalty to long term future of club                Grant 6/10        Roeder 1/10

Loyalty to fans and players                          Grant 3/10        Roeder 1/10

Total Scores:-                                           38/100               23/100

Wealth                                                      Moderate         High

Conclusion:-                                              Not cut out         Crazy Clueless Dictator

The difference that I see between Roeder and Grant, is that Grant was very passionate about the club and cared. He was honest and you could not fault him for trying his best, he was basically a nice guy. But he just did not cut it at management.Roeder on the other hand, is arrogant and rude towards the fans who will be here long after he has departed.

[quote user="SuperWesIrishWizard"]

I can remember despising Peter Grant even after he had left the club, in hindsight I was wrong to despise him. He made some woeful mistakes, lost the players, most of his signings were awful.

But you know what? He cared about the club, he cared about the fans, and realised pretty quickly that he wasnt the man for the job. He held his hands up, said that it hadnt worked out, walked away from the club knowing that he had underperformed but had been quite rightly remunerated for the time that he spent at the club at least knowing that he had given it a go and believed that he was doing tight. He walked away knowing that it would be a travesty for this club to go down and knew that the fans, the city and the legends of this great football club deserved better.

Glen Roeder, to the contrast, has made just as many mistakes, which he wont admit to, cares little about the fans, the city or the legends of this great football club and it would not bother him at all if this club went down. He would walk away with just another big flop on his CV but a larger bank balance, knowing that he probably wont get another job in football but also knowing that financially he doesnt need one.

It was well documented that Huckerby and Grant didnt see eye to eye, but I genuinely believe that even Grant would have kept Huckerby at this club in some form. The players didnt have a clue under Grant, the players dont have a clue under Roeder. Both have wasted money. There is very little to distinguish between these two in terms of performance on the pitch, performance in the transfer market, and the respect of the players.... both have very little.

There is a hell of a lot to distinguish between them in terms of dignity and loyalty to a cause. Grant cared about the clubs future and not just about his bank balance, Roeder is in this job because he somehow managed to persuade just another club to give him money to play with its future like a boys toy.

I therefore give my personal ratings in terms of performance as manager:

Overall Transfer Market Performace:           Grant 3/10        Roeder 3/10

Permanent Transfer Performace:                  Grant 3/10        Roeder 5/10

Tactical Ability                                            Grant 3/10        Roeder 3/10

Motivational Ability                                     Grant 2/10        Roeder 2/10

Team Selection                                           Grant 4/10        Roeder 3/10

Respect of the players                                 Grant 4/10        Roeder 3/10

Respect of the inherited backroom staff       Grant 6/10        Roeder 1/10

Respect of the fans                                      Grant 4/10        Roeder 2/10

Loyalty to long term future of club                Grant 6/10        Roeder 1/10

Loyalty to fans and players                          Grant 3/10        Roeder 1/10

Total Scores:-                                           38/100               23/100

Wealth                                                      Moderate         High

Conclusion:-                                              Not cut out         Crazy Clueless Dictator

[/quote]

Agree with you on that one. He failed but with  hindsight he had and still has more dignity and honour than Roeder.