Sign in to follow this  
Green&Yellow Fan

750,000 is that all

iam a bit annoyed that norwich aren,t buying any players , look how much wba spent 6.3m how are we going to stat up if we don''t buy them come on worthy spend some money , a know they are being safe but how much did we win when we won the chamionship , about 20m he should a least spend around about 4m if we want to stay up , which isn''t looking good for us at the moment.

I sort of agree. While the most important thing is to secure the long term future of the club I would like us to spend 1 - 2 million on at least one up and coming young player (Ashton, Dawson, Gabbidon ect).

I do acknowledge that getting this balance is tricky and the sort of players I have mentioned might not want to come to us but it would be nice if we now bought a player is good enough to play in the top league and has the potential to improve aswell.

WBA already came up, got a bumper pay off, got relegated (parachute payments) and got promoted again - another bumper pay off.

And they spent nothing when they went up first time.

Chill.

I have a nagging feeling that you''re on a wind up and I should just ignore you G&Y, but in case you''re not, this should help set the record straight:

We''ve signed 5 new players so far, with more to come. Helveg replaces Briggs in the squad, but cost less than him. Want to talk about the relationship between transfer fees and quality? If Helveg had cost 2m people would still say he was a good buy.

Plus, we''ve paid out in additional fees on players like Huckerby, MacKenzie, Svensson, so he''s spent more than 750k.

Plus, for the first time in years we''ve got a top quality player in Green who we haven''t had to sell, and who''s signed a new contract with us. Which is a bit like signing a new player.

Plus we didn''t ''win'' 20m when we won the 1st Div. We get about 14m from sky I think, much of which is already committed.

Plus, we won''t go bust if we go down, unlike some other teams in this part of the world....

Ama

g&y,why are you comparing us with w.b.a,why do you collate money=survival why do you worry so much?

Look how much West Brom have spent and then look at some of the gambles they''ve taken. If Norwich had spent £6.3 and got players like Scimeca, Greening and some Hungarian I would be miffed.

Money in the form of transfer fees doesnt necessarily buy better players, it just obtains players who are under contract with their former club. The ability to offer greater wages sorts out which club will sign any given player. Our stripey friends have paid out "big" money yet have baulked at paying large salaries on the whole. Why is this?

If there is a good scouting network and a prudent management team, quality players can be acquired on a free or small transfer fees and tempted by sizeable wage packets. The research carried out by the scouts will provide cheap signings who will be attracted by Premiership wages.

If we sign two more players and spend less than say £1.5m then we will be just as well equipped as WBA on a fraction of their transfer fee budget. How much we pay as signing-on fees and wages is a separate argument but does not detract from the point that to survive in the long term and have a chance in the Premiership next year, value for money is the only path to tread.

Im getting very bored of all this. We have something WBA would die for, we have something Jose M at Chelsea is still searching for, we have something worth far more than some dodgy Hungarian.

Team spirit my friends will see us through.

You read it here first, I predict 4th bottom for us at present and about 12th-13th with a couple of new signings.

Remember NW has to ensure new signings dont upset the applecart, destroy the team spirit, lose the dressing room. Do you guys seriously think he isnt searching, isnt trying?

This negativity is so bin like - snap out of it. Sure, expect to be bottom come September as a result of our fixtures. But look on the positive side, this may give others a false sense of security when we play them.

Come back and slate me next May, but bet your bottom dollar I ''ll be cheering the boys on home and away and not moaning. Look in the mirror guys, there are hundreds of teams would die to be where we are.

West Brom have a fantastic team spirit! In fact (Koumas and Hoult aside) It was the only thing we had when we first played in the Prem! Unfortunately, a great work ethic (in 2002/03 ours was by far the hardest working team in the division) gest you no-where, you won''t disgrace yourselves and be thrashed week in-week out like a certain orange and black team, but you won''t survive.

I''d definitely say Norwich have more quality then the WBA side that won promotion a few seasons back, and there''s no doubt you share the same amount of team spirit as we did, but without quality and experience teams will not stay up.

This summer SGM said he wanted to bring in players with the above mentioned qualities, but who also worked hard for the team. The only player (that I''ve heard of) who can be questioned about their commitment is Kanu, but still, his skill eclipses that of any player of the three promoted teams (even you, as Norwich fans must admit that). Kanu is the sort of player who not only increases the teams skill on his own, and can also turn matches in one move, but he will also be similar to what Dugarry was for the Blouse in attracting other players to us, look at the signings they''ve made since dugarry came to their club; Upson, Gronkjaer, Heskey, Dunn and quite a few others.

This season will be no different, Megson encurages a good team spirit, and without it, combined with a better quality of player a team might as well raise the white flag at the start of the season.

Biggest sigh of relief this summer was Scimeca turning us down and going elsewhere, just like last summer when hulse, O''connor, Taylor and Lee did the same. We dont always gety it right in the market, but it helps when your top targets dont want to join you!!!! The dealings havent finished yet, im just hoping for a quality proven player to top off the summers work. Helveg, Bentley, Gallacher et al look solid buys to me!

GYF

I hope this is not a wind up because I agree with what you are saying and I have said it already on the board. Any business (and this is a business !) needs to invest at critical times of growth and this is a critical time to grow. I am not saying go mad and spend millions but to improve our chances we need to spend at least three to four million on the right type of signing. You can debate the postions we need to fill and we all have our own idea but the size and quality of our current squad is that of a top division one team. We have sadly not made the jump in either mentality or physical squad depth and size to understand or compete with the demands of the prem. We may be very lucky and I feel we might be and therefore stay up this season but I would much prefer to reduce the element of luck with the signing of some more quality players. I support both the board and NW 100% but feel there is just one opportunity to get this right and I feel we may have just missed it?

Up the City!

All very good points milan, and well put. However, it is not about the amount of money that you spend, but the quality of player that you bring in. I''ll give you an example: WBA have spent 2.7m on Albrechtsen, a Danish defender who never went to Euro 2004, while we have acquired, on a free transfer, Thomas Helveg, the Danish captain. If you work out what we are investing, it will be a substantial amount - it''s just on wages and signing on fees rather than transfer fees. Spending 3 or 4 million does NOT guarantee you quality.

But don''t you see? We DID invest. Remember Christmas? That''s what has given us the millions of pounds in revenue extra that we have got from getting promotion.

Now we have made that money, if it was my business (and yours, I don''t doubt), the cash would be banked and the next steps would be very tentative.

A business takes years - YEARS - to grow, and we will still be making money for the forseeable future if we don''t waste it all now.

The thing that only Amarillo seems to remember is that we effectively bought this years players last season. When we were close to the Prem last Dec the Board splashed out and took the gamble that we all wanted and more- not only Hucks but McKenzie and Svensson plus Cooper on loan. Had we not gone up there might have been some severe financial consequences as we knew that the club could not really afford to buy. But they did. For once our club had the courage to seize the moment and invest. Milan Marcus says we need to invest like all good business, well, like all businesses money does not grow on trees and just consider that we have already made our invetsment. A few extra bargain buys this summer have topped it up. That Sky money needs careful guarding as we do not know how long it will keep coming or how much we will need.

Why don''t we see what the situation is in December? The worst thing to do is splash the cash and be no further ahead with a bunch of gold-diggers.

My final point echoes that made by At Last!!!- team spirit. NW has created a hard working unit which is unlike many others far greater than the sum of its parts. Great care is needed not to disturb that and too many signings too quickly will put it in danger. Never underestimate the importance of a settled team which plays for each other as well as the manager and us. Look what it did when last visible in the days of Walker (mark I).

Let Nige do the hard work- I urge all to sit back and enjoy the ride. Lets not spoil the party because our favourite brand of beer is not there.