Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Quote from Worthy

When talking about Simon Charlton, Worthy said:

"He''s played all his games at centre half in pre-season, and it looks as if he''s played there his whole career.

"It looks as if he''s always played with Craig Fleming and he looks comfortable and they look a solid partnership."

Gives a pretty strong indication to me which two will be starting the Premiership season at centre backs.

Have to say this is the partnership I would like to see. I''ve heard from several Bolton fans who think we''ve got a bargain with Charlton. Sounds like he had a blinder last year.

Sorry Malky

Maybe "sorry malky", it is a bit harsh for a Scottish International

Although i feel Worthy is doing his best to put out the best team, Malky might be a bench warmer this season, although i could see him playing some of the games.

As for Worthys Comments, im sure he knows what hes doing

I agree DD, I think the 1st choice defence started against Coventry (Drury, Eddy, Flem and Charlton) with the reserves replacing in the second half. If the same quartet start together tonight I think its sewn up.

Charlton is the best defender we have had at the club since Jon Newsome (is that murmurings of disagreement I hear?!). I was very impressed against Coventry. He puts himself about and makes up for his lack of physical presence by impeccable timing and being in the right place at the right time. He plays with an intensity the others need to match to perform at Premiership level. We have signed a gem there.

This is something I always loved about Fleming. I have watched him nullify BIG strikers completely just with a well-timed nudge. If Charlton is another Flem, then we''ll be in safe hands.

One thing though DL - do you really think Eddy will be first choice over Helveg?

Agree with the above except I think Helveg will be the man on the right (not Edworthy) - assuming of course, that we can get a midfielder/winger on the right to put in front of him.

If not, then Edworthy with Helveg in front? Or is that what Bentley is here for? Options, options, options. Quite a surprising amount of versatility in the small squad that we have - NW is to be highly commended on that score. Shame it means having to get people like Scowcroft in though.

I think helveg will definitely play right back and with the current squad the rest of the back four will be Charlton,Fleming and Drury.

I am still hopeful that Worthy will sign another centreback though and also would not be surprised to see a right winger arrive (as well as a striker!)

Sorry!

I meant to justify what I said by clarifying that Eddy would start at right back with Helveg in midfield. I can see Bentley being played on left (again, Coventry starting formation). We will get a clearer picture once tonight''s starting XI is announced.