Sign in to follow this  
ricky knight

why love for boothroyd

[quote user="Duffman"]I cant make my mind up about Aidy.

This does make good reading......http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aidy_Boothroyd

It musnt be forgotten that he made the play offs when they got relegated which is a pretty hard thing to do as most teams tend to struggle.   Then they were forced to sell the likes of Ashley Young and then it all went sour.

If he came with Malky then I think I would be happy with this.
[/quote]

I have to agree Duffman, if Malky was part of the package that would swing it for me. Most of us recognised at the time what a poor descision letting him go was, and those that didn''t, knew all about it 6 months later when we ended up playing with the 2 shortest centre halfs in the premiership and a real lack of experience and leadership. He could make a real difference in the the dressing room and get the most out of the current squad. 

I also remember many people on here dicussing what a bad move it was allowing Boothroyd to leave the academy set up. And a few ''what if'' posts when he did so well with Watford. I think he''d make a great replacement.

Boothroyd ticks all the right boxes for me too.  It would seem to be the sensible choice especially if Malky returns with him. He has a proven record in this league, is available and i don''t believe this rubbish about him being a hoofball merchant.  He will work with the tools he has available.

If you want an outside punt why not Gus Poyet. He is highly regarded and maybe he could do a Martinez with us

Boothroyd playing ''hoofball'' is such a myth.

The Watford side he constructed on a shoe-string budget was capable of playing direct football when the need arose, but on a lot of occasions, especially when he first took over and got them promoted, they played some lovely stuff too. He built a side full of fast, skillful players (the likes of King and Ashley Young, who all went on to much better things and can obviously play decent football) who had a bit of fight about them, because that''s what is required in this division.

Anyone remember when they came to Carrow Road and beat us 3-2? They were excellent, probably the best side i saw at CR that season and i remember a lot of people agreeing after the game.

And hell, even if you lot believe that everything i''ve written above is a load of nonsense, why judge the guy on his one managerial job to date? Just because he supposedly played ''hoofball'' at Watford doesn''t mean he''ll always do it. The players he''ll have here are different, so why expect him to necessarily play the same style? Not every manager is as arrogant and set in their way as Roeder was, thankfully...

..Or maybe i''ve just been infected by optimism, and he''ll actually be useless. But he can''t do any worse, i reckon, hoofball or not. :op

Watford is my home town and believe me, hoofball was all he got them to play. He was there for 3 and a half years and had time to change the "tools" but didn''t. Yes, he got them promoted in his first full season but he din''t have a clue in the Premiership, he was worse than Worthy when we went up.

All my mates who support Watford were fed up with watching the stuff he was serving up. Remember the game at Vicarage Road last season, Leigh Bromby''s long throws and the keepers long punts to Darius Henderson? That was what they got all through his period as manager.

Dodgy signings, signing forwards and then not playing them, playing people out of position, p*ssing off the local media, he''s done it all, he''s Roeder in disguise.