Sign in to follow this  
taintedtom2000

Lets look at the candidates...

Hareide (who had great success with Rosenborg, Brondby and Helsingborg, poor for Norway though) or Boothroyd for me.

Bowen or Crook as first team coach. Or may be Iwan or Dion?

Whoever we get, I don''t want him to be so egomaniacal that he has to reinvent the game. Take what little we DO have a build on it.  Don''t tear down the good parts just so you can have the team in your own image.  That resulted in teams that look like Grant and Roeder, teams that suck.

Step 1 is keeping Fotheringham as captain. Ha ha, just kidding.  Just don''t get rid of the players who are doing well.  Keep THEM and dump the scrubs who don''t want to be here, and get the best out of those who do want to be here and deserve to be here.  Sign Croft, for example.

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]Darren Ferguson for me. He''s done well at Posh, knows the lower leagues and how to spot a bargain, and they don''t come much better connected. Posh would require a compensation but it may be possible to write off the sell on clause for Joe Lewis.[/quote]

Good point.

Bowen wont come.Jewell can shove it, he wouldnt come last time and he instead went to Derby and was shiiit.Aidy - High possibilty considering ties with club.Crook, unlikely has the experience needed to get us out of this mess.Curbishley, wont come.My money is on Boothroyd, not that I want a return to hoof ball.... 

Can''t see Ferguson coming here, he''s got money behind him at Peterborough and is getting a good reputation, so he''ll be looking at somone in or close to the Prem. Boothroyd and Malky for me.

[quote user="BlueJam"]Bowen wont come.Jewell can shove it, he wouldnt come last time and he instead went to Derby and was shiiit.Aidy - High possibilty considering ties with club.Crook, unlikely has the experience needed to get us out of this mess.Curbishley, wont come.My money is on Boothroyd, not that I want a return to hoof ball.... [/quote]Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball?

[quote user="astrodyne"]Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball? [/quote]I don''t want Boothroyd ffs, I was simply saying who I THINK will get th job. Moreover, I agree with you..

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="BlueJam"]Bowen wont come.
Jewell can shove it, he wouldnt come last time and he instead went to Derby and was shiiit.
Aidy - High possibilty considering ties with club.
Crook, unlikely has the experience needed to get us out of this mess.
Curbishley, wont come.

My money is on Boothroyd, not that I want a return to hoof ball....

[/quote]

Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball?
[/quote]

I must say that I was wondering this.

I like some of the choices such as Boothroyd, Robins etc,also what about Mick Harford at Luton- he''s dragging them closer to safety with players that Roeder didn''t want here such as Chris Martin, Micky Spillane etc 

The Boards choice will go some way to giving us an indication of their purpose I feel. Somebody unproven or steping up from a lower league, could be said to show the Board''s willingness to gamble, but equally, their unconcern if we get relegated. Somebody proven who has managed upper level teams, could be said to show the Boards hunger for success, and equally, their urgent concern at the possiblity of relegation. Interesting times!

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="BlueJam"]Bowen wont come.
Jewell can shove it, he wouldnt come last time and he instead went to Derby and was shiiit.
Aidy - High possibilty considering ties with club.
Crook, unlikely has the experience needed to get us out of this mess.
Curbishley, wont come.

My money is on Boothroyd, not that I want a return to hoof ball....

[/quote]

Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball?
[/quote]

Boothroyd is not my 1st choice but is it possible that he was merely putting round pegs in round holes? I totally understand if we''ve all forgotten what that looks like.

[quote user="BlueJam"][quote user="astrodyne"]Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball? [/quote]I don''t want Boothroyd ffs, I was simply saying who I THINK will get th job. Moreover, I agree with you..[/quote]Sorry BlueJam - I quoted the wrong post.[:$]

[quote user="Mr Brownstone"]

[quote user="astrodyne"][quote user="BlueJam"]Bowen wont come.Jewell can shove it, he wouldnt come last time and he instead went to Derby and was shiiit.Aidy - High possibilty considering ties with club.Crook, unlikely has the experience needed to get us out of this mess.Curbishley, wont come.My money is on Boothroyd, not that I want a return to hoof ball.... [/quote]Those people wanting Boothroyd - pray tell where we are going to find the money and time to get players in who are successfully capable of playing hoofball? [/quote]

Boothroyd is not my 1st choice but is it possible that he was merely putting round pegs in round holes? I totally understand if we''ve all forgotten what that looks like.

[/quote]I suppose that is a possibility. Do you think he was then wary of changing a winning formula when they got promoted to the Premiership - as surely he would then have had the funds to mould the team more to his style of playing football (whatever that style may be)?

I hear we are going to go for the Ex mighty Middlesborough and England Manager Steve McLaren or Craig Flemming (who has worked wonders in half a season as a coach at Lowestoft Town).

I believe the pair tick all of the boxes in our mindless boards managerial check list... [:$]

At the moment I honestly don''t care how pretty the football looks, anything to stay up.

Boothroyd is the man for the job imo.  Either that or someone like Ward.

Please no more ex West Ham men.  They get Green, Ashton and Bellamy and we get Roeder and Grant.....

here''s a list of the bookies prices9/2        Mark Robins 6/1        Aidy Boothroyd 7/1        Ian Holloway 8/1        Alan Pardew 8/1        Darren Ferguson 8/1        Gary McAllister 9/1        Mark Bowen 10/1        Iain Dowie 10/1        Alan Curbishley 10/1        Paul Ince 12/1        Peter Taylor 12/1        Malky Mackay 14/1        Dion Dublin 14/1        Lawrie Sanchez 14/1        Paul Jewell 14/1        Steve Cotterill 33/1        John Ward for me robins,ferguson, boothroyd and curbs should be the only candidates, unless we go until the end of season appointment then someone like ward or dowie will do short term.

We need to be making a decision very quickly if we are to give the new guy any sort of a chance in the transfer window. Time is of the essence and we can''t afford the board taking two or three weeks interviewing all and sundrey. For me the board should identify who they want from their track record and go get - right now! A-la Simon Jordon.

Given a choice I''d start with Ince, Furguson and Malky in that order.

As much as I like him as a Player is Robins right?  Rotherham are hardly setting league 2 on fire so not sure he has what it takes to step up.

[quote user="Fisherman"]Martin Bane anyone? doing a good job at Bradford City..[/quote]

Good Manager but i think you got the wrong team there. I think he cud do a job for us. any 1  else agree?

Sky Bet are offering the following candidates/prices -

Boothroyd A 5/2  

Ince P 4/1  

Dowie I 6/1  

McAllister G 8/1  

Sanchez L 8/1  

Jewell P 10/1  

Cotterill S 10/1  

Pardew A 10/1  

Holloway I 10/1  

Robins M 12/1  

OLeary D 16/1  

Calderwood J 16/1  

Dublin D 16/1  

Saunders D 20/1  

Hoddle G 20/1 

Souness G 20/1 

Keane R 33/1 

Robson B 33/1 

Poyet G 33/1 

Royle J 33/1 

Curbishley A 50/1 

I think Boothroyd is getting a rather bad press on this thread at the moment, yes his Watford side was extremely direct but it was a case of playing to the strengths of the players he had at the club seeing as Watford had no money, and he was extremely successful at this.  He got Watford promoted when probably he could have done with consolidating and building a team (also see Davies, Billy).Boothroyd''s trouble came when he expected the almost identical Watford team to play a slightly better brand of football in the Championship after they were relegated.

Able to quickly come in, assess squad strength and get the team playing well (round pegs in round holes) - CheckUsed to working on a budget, having to sell players to balance books, etc - CheckNorwich connections, with hopefully some passion for the club - CheckAvailable so no compensation to be paid - Check

Sounds good enough to me but I am sure other posters will have different ideas [:D]

Smudger is that tongue in cheek or serious. I have heard good things about Flem, but no way is he ready after half season with a non league club, maybe in some capicity, we could do with a new fitness coach.

[quote user="dougal"]Please let it be Curbishley![/quote]He would seem to be the outstanding candidate - by why is he still out of a job?