Sign in to follow this  
USA Canary

New European Striker Signing

I just noticed on the BBC web site that we are bidding for another striker as well as Scowcroft. I wonder who it could be...has anyone else heard?

Here''s the link and quote from Worthy...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/n/norwich/3926751.stm

"There''s a bid in for James but we''ve also got an offer in for another striker," said Worthington, revealing that the unnamed forward is a European name.

I imagine this might be a name none of us have considered. Given that NW had scouts at Euro 2004 I would like to venture the name of Marian Pahars strike partner for Latvia. I forget his name (has too many syllables and consonants) but he is young and an international, probably up for a move to England and relatively cheap.

On the other hand maybe I am barking up the wrong tree and it is somebody totally different. However "European striker" doesnt suggest it is Christopher Sutton esq either.

Thanks Temp. Just been doing some research - busy day you see.

Maris Verpakovskis was given the number 9 shirt for Latvia in the summer. He currently plays for Skonto Riga in Latvia and has been linked to Arsenal and Wolves in the past. He says he wants to play for Lazio eventually.

He is in his early twenties and would command a fee. Depending on the numbers, promising?

Maris Verpakovskis would be a good signing but plays for Dinamo Kiev who payed something like £3M for him and with his excellent performances in Euro 2004 his value would have risen.

Good to hear we are going for a striker who isn''t Scowcroft.

Well, I have to say I was suitably impressed with what I saw of him during the tournament, but I would worry about the step up to playing regular Premiership football if he has only ever played in Latvia. As you say, it would depend entirely on the fee in question.

As much as the little Latvian impressed greatly during the Euros, he should not be our man. He''s very very small. And Worthy is looking for a big man.

Isn''t Charisteas suffering on a bench somewhere? Sadly tho, I think that ones a reach....but it''s nice to see NW giving us something to talk about!