Sign in to follow this  
Irish canary

59ers ?!?!

Does anyone else think wearing a 59ers commerative shirt is just embarrasing considering how poor we are playing, and it is an anniversary of a run to a semi final?

Obviously it is just a money maker from the club! We all know that, Did many on here purchase out of curiosity???

[quote user="Irish canary"]

Does anyone else think wearing a 59ers commerative shirt is just embarrasing considering how poor we are playing, and it is an anniversary of a run to a semi final?

Obviously it is just a money maker from the club! We all know that, Did many on here purchase out of curiosity???

[/quote]

Thank God we are out of the Cup and this lot of no hopers won''t get to tarnish the memory of that great team anymore. Those of us lucky enough to remember those great days cringed with embarrassment last night to see such an inept and gutless performance.

As I walked home last night I could not help reflect upon the words from Paul Wyatts "Ballard of Crossan and Bly"

You can keep you coloured playback, your scores in digital time

I''ll just keep my memories of 1959

That Yellow and Green Army, reaching for the sky

In what will always be the year, of Crossan and Bly.

It brought a lump to my throat to remember that we once had a team to be proud of. If the spirit of Barry Butler was at Carrow Road last night it would have despaired to see how low this great club has sunk.

Ricardo, it sounds like I''m fortunate not to be witnessing what''s occurring at the the moment. I know many say that we tend to glorify memories as we get older and, if thta''s the case, so be it. My memory of Barry Butler is vivid as I watched the sheer effort and reliability of the man. Even when opponents balls were played down the wing there was Barry racing across to the touchline with a sliding tackle to cut the ball out before the winger could do any damage. It happened time after time. Yes, it may have been third division when Barry began his time with us but you and I both know if we had a man of that quality and dedication today we would not be giving cheap goals away, and if someone was going to beat us they would surely go back to the dressing room in an exhausted state.

[quote user="YankeeCanary"]Ricardo, it sounds like I''m fortunate not to be witnessing what''s occurring at the the moment. I know many say that we tend to glorify memories as we get older and, if thta''s the case, so be it. My memory of Barry Butler is vivid as I watched the sheer effort and reliability of the man. Even when opponents balls were played down the wing there was Barry racing across to the touchline with a sliding tackle to cut the ball out before the winger could do any damage. It happened time after time. Yes, it may have been third division when Barry began his time with us but you and I both know if we had a man of that quality and dedication today we would not be giving cheap goals away, and if someone was going to beat us they would surely go back to the dressing room in an exhausted state.[/quote]

Think yourself lucky you didn''t have to witness that disgraceful performance last night Yankee. No skill no passion no fight.

I''ve seen some low points over the years but things are absolutely desperate now. Roeder was sacked a few minutes ago but for me, its too late to alter things. I can''t see this team surving in the Championship. I''m afraid that I will be witnessing 3rd division football next year and it will be back to 13000 crowds again.

What a prospect, I could weep.

i think they sold a fair few as they were selling out when i last went into the club shop before christmas. then again could be lies coming from there too!

Er no YC, the passage of time hasn''t produced a suffused glow of remembrance.Barry Butler was for me in the top 3 City players of all time . (Jimmy Hill and Ron Davies the others?)The other amazing thing was the fantastic skill he had on the ball - he would dribble the ball away from a tight situation when a hoof looked the only option.Virtually no one ever bested him in the air either and let''s not forget that stentorian bellow!

[quote user="Houston Canary"]We were in 3rd Division in 59 and we will be there again in 09, so what''s the problem? [:D][/quote]

But you''ll be safely tucked up in Texas.

I''m the poor sod who''ll have to watch it.

[quote user="Bernard Futter"]Er no YC, the passage of time hasn''t produced a suffused glow of remembrance.
Barry Butler was for me in the top 3 City players of all time . (Jimmy Hill and Ron Davies the others?)
The other amazing thing was the fantastic skill he had on the ball - he would dribble the ball away from a tight situation when a hoof looked the only option.
Virtually no one ever bested him in the air either and let''s not forget that stentorian bellow!
[/quote]

Only just saw your response Bernard. Without a word of a lie your three choices are also mine.