Sign in to follow this  
chicken

Looking back at it all . . . .

I have to say that I have found this week rather has to go down as one of the worse in Pinkun history. I say this because of the sad news in regards to loosing one of this forum''s leading lights and then the low that was the lack of passion and football on show on Tuesday night.But I do think that some things need to be highlighted on here in regards to the last few years.The first being that if you look at the popular demand on here and how those demands stack up!First of all the Worthington Out! campaign - whether warrented or not was supposedly done so that our club could return to be promotion contenders. Well instead we are relegation contenders. No matter what people say about Worthington every player he brought here he pretty much got the best out of - baring a couple of injuries to the likes of Emblen etc. I think most people will accept that even the likes of Francis and Etuhu who have gone to clubs higher up the league have not recaptured the form they had with us.One of the reasons given at the time was that Worthington was too soft and didn''t criticise the players enough. Well I don''t think you can argue that with the last two managers who seem to have agrieved players they inherited from day one. Safri and Etuhu were the first to demand to leave under Grant, countless under Roeder.So we have had the soft in Worthington, the beginner in Grant and the Rod of Iron in Roeder so where do we go now?Jewell - has done well in the past when given money but even that fell on its face with Derby.Boothroyd - still somewhat of an unmeasured manager having only managed Watford - but it seems an inspirational leader rather than rod of iron. With Malky as number two you never know, you still have players that have played with him in the squad and it may get them going once more.Ince - I am sorry but I am not convinced by him. He has had good spells with lower division clubs but not long spells and I think lacks experience.Curbishly - when you look at his record he seems to have performed well with little money to spend. Charlton have fallen from the top half of the premiership without him. In some ways the manager that ticks most of the boxes, experience, motivation, contacts and approach to footballers.The list goes on but what would suit the masses? I think it''s time for reflection and to understand that some people have become too focused on the fall from the premiership than the here and now. Whether people like it or not Norwich should be a top of the Championship - lower premiership team. Mid table in the Championship and less than twelve points off the play-offs is an average season, we are currently poor but we are also never going to be a team that walks this league easily. We didn''t do it with ease when we were promoted, we had to battle, fight and scrap for every single point. Right now we can play but we don''t seem to be able to battle. For this reason I would like to see Aidy and Malky in - Malky''s strength was always in his grit and battle - his passion to fight and not really his technical ability and if he can install that into our current squad I think we will survive this season and do a lot better in the next.

[quote user="chicken"]
First of all the Worthington Out! campaign - whether warrented or not was supposedly done so that our club could return to be promotion contenders. Well instead we are relegation contenders.

Norwich should be a top of the Championship - lower premiership team. [/quote]

The long view is indeed instructive. Getting rid of Worthy as it turns out didn''t help. But some would argue that the choice of manager that succeeded him was the reason, not the fact of his dismissal. Anyhow, he had clearly lost the dressing room, and I always think that it''s an open and shut case when that happens.

As for Norwich''s place in the footballing worls... not sure I agree with ''should''. We certainly aspire to be a regular Prem club, or at least a contender in the championship, but then so do countless other clubs our size, many of whom languish around us in the table.