Sign in to follow this  
BRAVEHEART

WORTHINGTON YOU ARE SO RIGHT

Former manager Nigel Worthington believes the Norwich City board should have stood by Glenn Roeder, rather than sacking him yesterday.

The current Northern Ireland manager was given the chop by the City directors in 2006, after six years in charge at Carrow Road and one promotion.

But following Peter Grant''s failed stint at management, Roeder''s tenure lasted just 14 months and Worthington believes the powers that be have been too hasty as they embark on the search for the Canaries'' fourth manager in three seasons.

“They have brought a young manager in, then they don''t show the faith in him that they should do,” said Worthington. “Pressure goes on board and boards have got to be strong, and I know the financial circumstances and situations within football clubs, that revenue has got to be brought in.

“But if you''re going to employ somebody, then you''ve got to stand by them.”

Unity is what brings success according the Northern Ireland chief, rather than chopping and changing at the top - especially when the going gets tough.

“Spectators nowadays, and everybody, managers and coaches, they can all win games,” added Worthington. “But sometimes it happens for you and sometimes it doesn''t, and I think you should stand behind your manager and give as much support as you can.

“I think there''s been a lot of frustration. We all know what a good club it is and it is very sad and disappointing to see where it is at this moment in time, so let''s hope they can move forward.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I totally agree with Nigel Worthington Norwich should have stood by Roeder, but all the Roeder outers wanted him to go, I hope you are all proud of yourselves. You did the same thing to Worthington, and no doubt in 1 or 2 years time you will be doing the same thing to the next manager. We need to show faith in our managers like Worthington stated, and we never show faith in them, we also need patience. The board of directors are careless, they don''t think they just sacked Roeder without thinking. They were careless also when they turned down Peter Cullum''s offer. All the board should get out, you should go, you are no good to this club. I can''t wait until an investor comes in. Yes Roeder got rid of Huckerby, and we now have to move on without him but Roeder brought some good players in like Lita, Evans, Pattison, Bell, Stefanovic, Kennedy, Bertrand etc. Unfortunately he wasn''t given the money to bring in quality players. But having said that he wasn''t a great coach, and I don''t think he could motivate his players, get the best out of the set of players that he had. At first I thought this was stupid when people were saying he couldn''t motivate his players but when we lost against Nottingham Forest, Charlton then I really did ask questions of him. Also when he didn''t play Lupoli. Why doesn''t he play Russell in his proper position? Also why didn''t Bell play on the right in one game I think it was when Croft wasn''t playing? Decisions like these are what cost him and had he have got his team selection right then maybe he would have done a little bit better. The qualities I will be looking for in the next manager is can he get the best out of the set of players he is working with, whinging on about money is no good it is whether he can get the best out of the players, whether he can get results with them.

[quote user="BRAVEHEART"]

Former manager Nigel Worthington believes the Norwich City board should have stood by Glenn Roeder, rather than sacking him yesterday.

The current Northern Ireland manager was given the chop by the City directors in 2006, after six years in charge at Carrow Road and one promotion.

But following Peter Grant''s failed stint at management, Roeder''s tenure lasted just 14 months and Worthington believes the powers that be have been too hasty as they embark on the search for the Canaries'' fourth manager in three seasons.

“They have brought a young manager in, then they don''t show the faith in him that they should do,” said Worthington. “Pressure goes on board and boards have got to be strong, and I know the financial circumstances and situations within football clubs, that revenue has got to be brought in.

Unity is what brings success according the Northern Ireland chief, rather than chopping and changing at the top - especially when the going gets tough.

“Spectators nowadays, and everybody, managers and coaches, they can all win games,” added Worthington. “But sometimes it happens for you and sometimes it doesn''t, and I think you should stand behind your manager and give as much support as you can.

“I think there''s been a lot of frustration. We all know what a good club it is and it is very sad and disappointing to see where it is at this moment in time, so let''s hope they can move forward.”

__________________________________________________________________________________________________

I totally agree with Nigel Worthington Norwich should have stood by Roeder, but all the Roeder outers wanted him to go, I hope you are all proud of yourselves. You did the same thing to Worthington, and no doubt in 1 or 2 years time you will be doing the same thing to the next manager. We need to show faith in our managers like Worthington stated, and we never show faith in them, we also need patience. The board of directors are careless, they don''t think they just sacked Roeder without thinking. They were careless also when they turned down Peter Cullum''s offer. All the board should get out, you should go, you are no good to this club. I can''t wait until an investor comes in. Yes Roeder got rid of Huckerby, and we now have to move on without him but Roeder brought some good players in like Lita, Evans, Pattison, Bell, Stefanovic, Kennedy, Bertrand etc. Unfortunately he wasn''t given the money to bring in quality players. But having said that he wasn''t a great coach, and I don''t think he could motivate his players, get the best out of the set of players that he had. At first I thought this was stupid when people were saying he couldn''t motivate his players but when we lost against Nottingham Forest, Charlton then I really did ask questions of him. Also when he didn''t play Lupoli. Why doesn''t he play Russell in his proper position? Also why didn''t Bell play on the right in one game I think it was when Croft wasn''t playing? Decisions like these are what cost him and had he have got his team selection right then maybe he would have done a little bit better. The qualities I will be looking for in the next manager is can he get the best out of the set of players he is working with, whinging on about money is no good it is whether he can get the best out of the players, whether he can get results with them.

[/quote]FO...have you seen how we are playing??? and our league position???....and yes im very proud of myself NOW that arrogant useless,clueless turd has gone

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="BRAVEHEART"]

[/quote]FO...have you seen how we are playing??? and our league position???....and yes im very proud of myself NOW that arrogant useless,clueless turd has gone[/quote]just to add worthington couldnt be MORE wrong!!

Mate, you want to know why he was sacked - he''s a horrible man who clearly didn''t have the players on his side...

Roeder: Few tears shed

CHRIS LAKEY, EDP SPORT

15 January 2009

Glenn Roeder stands accused of treating players with little respect, of ruling Norwich City with a rod of iron and, critically, of losing the dressing room.

The EDP can reveal that Roeder began to lose the confidence of the players several weeks ago - and that, coupled with a fractious relationship with Norwich City supporters, eventually led to his departure yesterday.

His style didn''t go down well; he locked himself in his office and allowed few visitors. One member of staff spoke of walking past on tip-toes for fear of attracting his attention. Another reportedly was carpeted for not cleaning the footballs for training.

Players have spoken privately of their surprise at the way they were treated, and the lack of respect they were shown.

Roeder swept into Carrow Road 14 months ago and immediately made his presence felt - booting out many of the old guard while raiding the loan market for new faces.

It was a move that was as controversial and it was successful, with City finding their feet before the end of the year and embarking on a 13-match unbeaten run which went a long way to saving their Championship skin.

But Roeder cracked a few heads on the way, allowing players to leave, despite not giving them games to try and impress him: a number of players who let him down in the infamous defeat at Plymouth Argyle were shown the door almost immediately. Others lasted a little longer, but the Roeder brush was making a good job of its'' clean sweep.

Those who departed left with their heads held high, although Scottish midfielder Ian Murray did let his guard slip with some comments which, perhaps, others would liked to have said but decided that diplomacy was the better part of valour.

“I felt I had to try it down there or I would be sitting in five or six years wondering what if? But after Peter Grant left it was no fun,” said Murray who joined City from Rangers. “Playing for Glenn Roeder it was the first time in my life I felt like chucking it during a game. A lot of the players felt that way. He''s an angry man, not nice to play for."

It soon became clear that Roeder would be playing his players, and no one else''s. Some of the old guard survived, but their first team places were by no means guaranteed, even if they appeared to the observer to be better bets than the new men.

Adam Drury, Darel Russell, Jon Otsemobor, Mark Fotheringham and, to a lesser extent, Lee Croft, have all been in and out of the team, while Simon Lappin has suffered the ignominy of having to train with the youth team after being told by Roeder that he didn''t feature in his plans.

Even on Tuesday, when Charlton''s 18-match run without a win ended with an FA Cup third round replay win at Carrow Road, with players dropping like flies through injury, Lappin couldn''t get any farther than the bench - and maybe he was only there because there were seven seats to fill.

Ryan Bertrand was struggling with injury but had to come on at half-time for Adam Drury, who had knee problems - and all the whole Lappin, a perfectly able replacement at left back, was twiddling his thumbs on the bench.

But no matter how the old guard were treated, there was one character whose name surfaced time and time again., perhaps even coming back to haunt Roeder in his dark final days.

Darren Huckerby, fans'' favourite, flying winger and inspiration behind the 2004 promotion team, was handed his P45 and told his City career was over. Huckerby was devastated - and so were many of the fans.

His relationship with the manager wasn''t helped by confusion over an agreement to allow Huckerby train at Colney on his return from his new career in America - one party, it appears, reneged. Huckerby flatly refused to point the finger at Roeder and instead promptly bought a season ticket at Carrow Road - sitting among the very fans who wanted him out on the pitch. To some extent, he became the thorn in Roeder''s side that would never go away.

Huckerby''s partner-in-crime, veteran striker Dion Dublin, helped steer the club towards safety, and his prior notice of retirement gave Roeder plenty of time to find a replacement - except he never did.

Of his five permanent summer signings, not one was a striker. Arturo Lupoli - all 5ft 7ins of him - came in on loan, later joined by Antoine Sibierski and even later by Leroy Lita. None of them a big target man in the Dublin mould.

Roeder''s plans for a tight defence hit a hitch early on, when Jason Shackell made a surprise £1m move to Wolves. Then it emerged that Troy Archibald-Henville wasn''t good enough to provide back-up - and was sent back to Spurs. Dejan Stefanovic and John Kennedy were hit by long-term injuries - and City''s back-line became a game of musical chairs.

Roeder''s reluctance to play Lupoli on a regular basis upset fans, and while the capture of Lita was a success, it was short-lived: no one ever really thought City would have a seven-figure cheque to spare for his services on a permanent basis.

City took five attempts to get their first win, but were so inconsistent it wasn''t funny. A good home win over Sheffield United was followed by four games without a win - and then a superb 5-2 home victory over Wolves.

December 7 should have been more defining than it proved - a 2-0 home victory over Ipswich had all the ingredients of pride, passion, energy and ability. Within a week City had lost two games - and Roeder had lost his assistant, lee Clark, to Huddersfield. Their next home game, against Charlton, finished 1-0 in their favour - the last win of the Roeder regime.

Having been able to reason in the early stages of the campaign that City had played well without reward, Roeder began to find answers harder to come by. He snapped at shareholders, fans, media pundits - anyone who questioned his judgment.

But the evidence was there on the pitch: performances were being reflected in the end product - nothing. Losing at home to Nottingham Forest was unforgivable, and although City battled well at Sheffield United last weekend, it was the visit of Charlton on Tuesday night which proved to be the straw which broke Roeder''s back.

City were dismal, flat, uninspired, lacking leadership, cohesion - the list of their wrongdoings endless.

Roeder complained later of too few players and too many injuries, but the sound of the fans screaming for his head was still echoing around the empty stadium. Roeder''s time was up.

Sadly, there will be too many players, past and present, and ex-members of staff who will manage a smile at Roeder''s demise.

So you agree he couldn''t motivate the players, couldn''t get the best out of them, played them out of position, irrationally kept others out of the team - but you still think the club should have stood by Roeder? You''re now looking for someone who can get the best out of the players, at the same time regretting the departure of a man who cleartly couldn''t? Doesn''t make sense to me.

[quote user="city-till-i-die"][quote user="BRAVEHEART"]

[/quote]FO...have you seen how we are playing??? and our league position???....and yes im very proud of myself NOW that arrogant useless,clueless turd has gone[/quote]

Ha ha ! Succinct, apposite and very much to the point. Totally agree with your sentiments City.

You say we should have kept Roeder and then say"But having said that he wasn''t a great coach, and

I don''t think he could motivate his players, get the best out of the

set of players that he had. At first I thought this was stupid when

people were saying he couldn''t motivate his players but when we lost

against Nottingham Forest, Charlton then I really did ask questions of

him. Also when he didn''t play Lupoli. Why doesn''t he play Russell in

his proper position? Also why didn''t Bell play on the right in one game

I think it was when Croft wasn''t playing? Decisions like these are what

cost him and had he have got his team selection right then maybe he

would have done a little bit better."WTF are you sniffing?  You are totally contraditcing yourself, and displaying a total ignorance of the realities of the situation.

Sorry but you deserve contempt not debate for being so bloody idiotic.Sod off.

[quote user="BRAVEHEART"]

[/quote]

Managers always come out with this sort of cr*p as they look after each other. Firstly you completely contradict yourself in the second part of your paragraph by setting out what cost Roeder his job. Secondly in my eyes Roeder would still be there if it wasn''t for the fact he is such an unpleasant man who managed to alienate everyone. He only has himself to blame!

Proof even further that Nigel Worthington is an idiot! anyone who doesnt think he lost the plot during his time with us must see things differently now...

jas :)

[quote user="jas the barclay king"]

Proof even further that Nigel Worthington is an idiot! anyone who doesnt think he lost the plot during his time with us must see things differently now...

jas :)

[/quote]No, proof suggests that we were the idiots for pushing Worthy out of this club, been a downward spiral ever since, Worthy should have been given longer, and I hope he comes back now (though unlikely), but the board did the right thing in sacking Roeder, whilst I think he has put a good squad together, his man management skills were non existent and it seems like our team actually hated him.

WORTHINGTON YOU ARE SO RIGHT  ---- Oh No He Isn''t!I hope you are all proud of yourselves.---- Well, I''d like to be but honestly, I didn''t really do as much as perhaps I should have done. You know, argued the toss down the pub, lobbied a few journalists, pleaded Lappin''s case on here, wrote one letter to Neil Doncaster - if that''s enough to feel proud, - then yes, I''m proud to be proud!