Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

Premiership penalty taker?

I was thinking as I watched last years highlights last night- Who will be our penalty taker next year? Last year Rivers started and if Roberts was on he had a go. With both these players pretty quickly out of the first team picture Huckerby took up the responsibility. I was never too convinced with Huckerby though. Correct me if I''m wrong but I think he missed one and scored one, and the one he scored didn''t exactly fly in!!

For me a good penalty needs to be taken one of two ways: 1) Superb accuracy, preferably high into the goal or 2) Unbelievable power so if it''s on target it stands a bloody good chance of going in!! I wouldn''t mind seeing someone like Francis take them. I think he could really smack them.

On the subject of penalties I would like to see Greeno save one next term! I think Greeno is a magnificent goalkeeper and am not knocking him, but he''s never looked like saving a penalty!!

Thoughts?

Yeah the only penalty I can recall Greeno saving was one against Arsenal which he wasnt even meant to save, but for some one to take penalties I would have to say Mckensie would be great to take them if hes in the team or someone like Bentley or Huckerby although saying that fingers crossed we might soon have a new striker on our books to take the penalties.

Hucks scored pens at home to Palace and away to Rotherham and missed at home to Stoke.

Leon also scored one away to Derby.

As for Green saving pens it seems to me that 4 times out of 5 he goes the right way, but doesn''t get there. Perhaps he waits to see which way its going before diving for it. Maybe he would be better off just gambling and going one way or by staying in the middle.

Damien Francis is always deadly in the penalty area maybe he would step up.

It is vital we have someone that you would bet your house on scoring everytime because in premiership you might not get many chances so pens must be converted.

Safri scored from the spot for Morocco recently, however i would guess that Huck will take them as, i) he will likely earn the majority, and ii) no one is going to mess with him

I think it was against Stoke that Huckerby missed. Francis looks good to me. Mulryne would be the obvious one if you needed precision but remember Cardiff? Bowen and then Adams used to be regular penalty takers so it does not need to be a striker.

McKenzie is my bet. Was the penalty taker when at peterborough,he has a good track record for penalty taking and took a good penalty for us against derby.

so far we have:

Huckerby
Bently
Mckensie
Francis
Helveg
Safri

these players all seem quality although i havnt seen most of them from the penalty spot!

im sure if hucks is on he will want to take it

Just so long as Captain Canary doesn''t get the job - I dont think I''ve ever seen him score one - and he has enough practice.